bookbreaker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi there,

After visiting both the university of Manchester and the university of Nottingham, I am still pretty undecided with regards to which Maths department is better. I know the course modules for MMath at both universities, and am happy with what is available at both, however, does anyone know which university has a better standard of teaching, better facilities etc? The fact that both Nottingham and Manchester have very new department buildings makes this a trickier issue!
Julii92
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bookbreaker)
Hi there,

After visiting both the university of Manchester and the university of Nottingham, I am still pretty undecided with regards to which Maths department is better. I know the course modules for MMath at both universities, and am happy with what is available at both, however, does anyone know which university has a better standard of teaching, better facilities etc? The fact that both Nottingham and Manchester have very new department buildings makes this a trickier issue!
I was at Manchester for a year and new lots of people studying maths who seemed happy with the course. I don't think the standards of teaching vary that much between universities (AFAIK lecturers are hired because of their research skills more than their teaching abilities, someone is free to correct me however), especially between places as similar in standard as Nottingham and Manchester. Professor Oliver Jensen teaches a first year calculus course at Manchester and he moved there from Nottingham a year ago or so.

My suggestion would be to make the decision based on where you'd rather live.
Lord dudek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi

I am a third year at The University of Manchester (studying mathematics of course).

I applied to both of these universities when I did UCAS. Both are quality universities, and the post above makes a valid point that the quality of teaching is going to be somewhat similar. However, obviously I am bias towards Manchester.

Manchester has a great mathematics department, and as maths rankings go for universities, Manchester ranks highly (top 10 usually). The Alan Turing Building is a great building, it's brand new (built in 2007) and is a really great and relaxing place to study maths. The standard of teaching I have received is great and the support staff for students is very good.

Whatever you decide, my personal opinion is Manchester. If you get an interview, they will usually be held in the new year (unless you have applied to Oxbridge in which case they have already been held), and it's a great opportunity to see the building and help you decide. In any case, my advice is to make your decision wisely, weighing up what you really want from your university. You will not be disappointed with Manchester.

If you would like to see more information, the Manchester Mathematics website is excellent. There is a section called student spotlights (linked below) which should provide some more insight.

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/pe...entspotlights/
bookbreaker
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

May I ask though; what is the accommodation like at Manchester? When I went up there for my interview, I didn't get a chance to look inside any rooms or flats. Also, how comparable is the student night life at Manchester with that of Nottingham from what you know?

PS: Got offers from both Manchester and Nottingham of AAA with A in AS Further Maths.
Julii92
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

May I ask though; what is the accommodation like at Manchester? When I went up there for my interview, I didn't get a chance to look inside any rooms or flats. Also, how comparable is the student night life at Manchester with that of Nottingham from what you know?

PS: Got offers from both Manchester and Nottingham of AAA with A in AS Further Maths.
There's an excellent stickied thread by Origami Bullets in the Manchester University sub-forum:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2091577

It's pretty up to date as well, it was last edited in October.

Manchester student night life is manic, which may or may not be your thing, it certainly wasn't mine (hence why I'm now at Edinburgh). I don't mean to scare you off, this was more a consequence of the people I happened to know, who were all really into clubbing and so on. I didn't take the opportunity to make friends with the kind of people who are into more mellow ways to spend their free time, but they certainly do exist (there's 40 000 students there, after all )
bookbreaker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Julii92)
There's an excellent stickied thread by Origami Bullets in the Manchester University sub-forum:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2091577

It's pretty up to date as well, it was last edited in October.

Manchester student night life is manic, which may or may not be your thing, it certainly wasn't mine (hence why I'm now at Edinburgh). I don't mean to scare you off, this was more a consequence of the people I happened to know, who were all really into clubbing and so on. I didn't take the opportunity to make friends with the kind of people who are into more mellow ways to spend their free time, but they certainly do exist (there's 40 000 students there, after all )
Thanks for the link, it's really helpful!

What about the extensive bursaries Manchester (£8000-£18000 equivalent) offer in comparison with Nottingham (£3000)? In your opinion, would that swing the balance between which university you would put as your firm choice?
Julii92
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for the link, it's really helpful!

What about the extensive bursaries Manchester (£8000-£18000 equivalent) offer in comparison with Nottingham (£3000)? In your opinion, would that swing the balance between which university you would put as your firm choice?
It depends completely on your own personal/familial finances. I really don't know anything about bursaries (do you automatically get them if your parent's income is below a certain amount?) so that's not something I can offer advice on, except that if you would struggle to pay for higher education without it, then it would seem only natural to take it into account.

I may seem overly biased towards Manchester, but that's because it's the only place out of the two that I know anything about
isabelle york
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
can't go wrong with either, they're both roughly equal with great graduate prospects (I think notts had 90%+ grad employment).

Look at other factors.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.86%
No (500)
66.14%

Watched Threads