Is there a social obligation to answer your phone? Watch

Poll: When are you obliged to answer your phone?
You should always try to (and apologise later if you can't) (1)
5.88%
You should if you know the number (3)
17.65%
Depending on who, if it's convenient (10)
58.82%
Don't even bother checking unless it's absolutely convenient (3)
17.65%
Other (0)
0%
Hopple
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was speaking with a friend about this the other day and I'm of the opinion that you need not answer it if you don't wish to, or even check who's ringing. The ringer chooses a time to try to contact you that is convenient for them, and it is up to the ringee to answer if it is convenient for them. The ringee can also have a look at who's calling to make an educated guess if the call is going to be convenient or not. It's not as if the ringer would interrupt a conversation with some people to make the call in the same way the ringee could be interrupting their business to answer the call.

Similarly for the doorbell. People have spyholes or even cameras so they can decide whether or not to answer the door, and this is to people who have actually made the trek rather than someone who's merely picked up a phone. Generally I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting something or someone's asked me to get their collection.

What does TSR think?
aranexus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's a social obligation NOT to answer your phone esp if you're talking with someone
doctordee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're odd.
BlueSam3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Answering your phone when there's anyone else around is insufferably rude. As is expecting an immediate answer. It's the equivalent of standing in front of somebody and saying "talk to me, talk to me, talk to me" over and over again until they respond. Whatever you want, if you're contacting me by my damn phone, it can wait until I'm in a reasonable situation to answer it.
Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hopple)
I was speaking with a friend about this the other day and I'm of the opinion that you need not answer it if you don't wish to, or even check who's ringing. The ringer chooses a time to try to contact you that is convenient for them, and it is up to the ringee to answer if it is convenient for them. The ringee can also have a look at who's calling to make an educated guess if the call is going to be convenient or not. It's not as if the ringer would interrupt a conversation with some people to make the call in the same way the ringee could be interrupting their business to answer the call.

Similarly for the doorbell. People have spyholes or even cameras so they can decide whether or not to answer the door, and this is to people who have actually made the trek rather than someone who's merely picked up a phone. Generally I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting something or someone's asked me to get their collection.

What does TSR think?
Of course not. It#'s my phone and its up to me whether I answer it.
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Girl I lived with last year would phone repeatedly until she got an answer. This included ringing every member of a particular group until she got an answer. When I told her that if I didn't answer the phone the first time, I wouldn't the third/fifth/tenth time, she was genuinely shocked and thought I was being rude!

If I don't know the number, I have to be pretty bored to answer. If it's family/work/boyfriend, I'd try to answer or call back ASAP, if it's a friend, I'm not going to answer unless absolutely convenient, and I'll probably text rather than calling back.
Pariah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i answer the phone if i feel like it and not if i don't. it drives my wife nuts - she could no sooner leave a phone unanswered than she could stop breathing. but i figure if it's important they'll leave a message, try again text or whatever.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And this is why I tend to text - because most of the time, I know the other person is too busy to call me back.
Lotus_Eater
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If it's important they'll leave a message. I mean, for crying out loud, I don't want to be interrupted whilst I'm carefully calibrating a thought to put up on The Student Room. And if that isn't our life's work, I don't know what is.
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
The only calls I ever usually get are from private numbers, which I won't answer, or from appointments, which I won't answer unless I've told them to call specifically.

It annoys me when appointments ask for the landline and your mobile number, but then call your mobile. Please, just call the landline. I'm not going to answer otherwise.
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have my phone on silent a lot because I'm in lectures. If I hear it ringing I'll pick it up, unless I'm in lectures or with other people because that's hideously rude. If I get a missed call I prefer to text because I'm one of few out of my mates who's on pay as you go, phone calls eat my credit!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (270)
67%
No (133)
33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed