The Student Room Group

I'm a Kurd from Iraq, ask me anything

Some background below, feel free to skip it and ask a question :P

Firstly, what's a Kurd?

Kurds are an ethnic group, living in a region called Kurdistan, spanning Turkey, Iraq, Iran and Syria. There are also significant populations in Germany, Azerbaijan and Israel. The total population is approximately 35 million, with their own language, yes you guessed it, Kurdish :smile:

It used to be an empire, and now is a region. Upon the fall of the Ottoman Empire at the beginning of the 20th century, it was set out to become a country, but Turkey forcibly stopped that, at the same time of the Armenian Genocide. Its known for its unique dancing, songs and extravagant clothing.

So Kurdistan?

You may of heard of Kurds, from the genocide committed by Saddam Hussein. Currently the north of Iraq has an autonomous region, with its own government, but the other regions are still suffering.

In Turkey, until recently speaking Kurdish was illegal, and they are not allowed to be mentioned in Parliament. In Iran, silent executions go on every day, recently all Kurdish MPs walked out because all their funding for infrastructure was removed by Rouhanis government. In Syria, Kurds are being slaughtered along with the Christians by the rebels for not partaking in the war.

What about the Iraq war

The autonomous region of Iraq where Im from has its own army, and the number of forge in troops in the North numbered in the hundreds. 1000 people die each month in Iraq from terrorist attacks, but only three attacks have occurred since 2003 (start of the war) in the North, and almost all the violence is between the Sunnis and the Shias in the South. Trust me its safe (Ive been twice during the 'war')

As you can see below its quite a nice place, with mainly liberal views. All religions are accepted and its known for harbouring minorities, as well as alcohol and homosexuals being legal. Its economy is growing at unexpected rates, with 1000X more forgein firms operating in the North than the rest of Iraq.

ME :biggrin:

Im currently in University studying Engineering, born in Manchester. My parents were born in Iraq, and 90% of my family still lives there. Ive been back 4 times, and hoping to go back during the summer. Im from the city of Erbil, in the north of Iraq, and Ill attach a few photos of it below:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nice photos
Do you speak Kurdish, and any other languages?
Reply 2
So do you believe that Kurdistan should be an independence state?

Should this include Kurdish areas in Iran, Turkey, Syria and Iraq? Or should the Kurdish region of Iraq become its own independent state alone?
Reply 3
Original post by AreiMo1997
Nice photos
Do you speak Kurdish, and any other languages?

Yes I speak Kurdish, it can by written in english (latin) letters or arabic. There are many dialects, three alone in Iraq.

I also speak English, and I know a bit of Spanish, French and Arabic although not fluent in either. (Lots of Kurds in Iraq don't speak Arabic)
Hey man! I'm Kurdish too! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Swanbow
So do you believe that Kurdistan should be an independence state?

Should this include Kurdish areas in Iran, Turkey, Syria and Iraq? Or should the Kurdish region of Iraq become its own independent state alone?

Most Kurds believe it should be.

Currently in North Iraq, the governments holds their own elections, raises their own taxes, spends their own money, makes their own laws etc, and the only problem is the hassle caused by the central government from not sharing oil revenues. If you go to the North no-one speaks Arabic, and you see Kurdish flags flying about so it does feel like another country, but personally at this moment in time I would not like it to separate for economic stability.

eg is Scotland left the UK there would be a recession, the same if the UK left the EU, and so right now its better off as it is. Ideally all the areas 'Kurdistan' overlies should become one country as was originally intended as in the treaty of Sevres, because of the oppression faced by central governments, and most Kurds have progressive liberal views and would like to implement their own laws like the north of Iraq.
Reply 6
Original post by Limitless!
Hey man! I'm Kurdish too! :smile:

Haha hey, where do you live? Please tell me your named after the film Limitless, I love that movie :P
Original post by radiopred
Haha hey, where do you live? Please tell me your named after the film Limitless, I love that movie :P

I live in Grantham (Lincolnshire County).Of course I did! Epic movie, would happily take that pill any day! :biggrin:
What religion are you?
Reply 9
I live in Grantham (Lincolnshire County).Of course I did! Epic movie, would happily take that pill any day! :biggrin:

Awesome, well Im from Manchester (City not United btw :P), so are you at college?
Awesome, well Im from Manchester (City not United btw :P), so are you at college?

Hahah sweet! Nice to meet you :smile: I'm in Sixth Form studying A levels. What year are you in at University?:biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by ineedtorevise127
What religion are you?

I'm a Muslim, (Sunni) which also happens to be the most common religion, followed by Christianity, Yezidism and a load of other religions people haven't heard of.
Reply 12
Hahah sweet! Nice to meet you :smile: I'm in Sixth Form studying A levels. What year are you in at University?:biggrin:

Awesome, in my first year studying Petroleum Engineering, just broke up for christmas today :biggrin:, what subjects are you doing
Awesome, in my first year studying Petroleum Engineering, just broke up for christmas today :biggrin:, what subjects are you doing

Ah that sounds pretty awesome! enjoying the course so far? We've got one more week to go before we break up! :smile: I did Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Psychology and now I'm doing the first 3 in A2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a Muslim, (Sunni) which also happens to be the most common religion, followed by Christianity, Yezidism and a load of other religions people haven't heard of.

Ahh cool are you practising? Like reading 5 daily prayers, Quran when you can etc...
Reply 15
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Ahh cool are you practising? Like reading 5 daily prayers, Quran when you can etc...

Relatively so, I fast during ramadan, I try and pray all my prayers etc Im not part of the Halal patrol or say im muslim but not show my faith proactively so you'll find me somewhere in the middle :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm a racially ambiguous female from america, ask me anything
Do you like Darin? The only kurd I've ever met totally raved about him.

Reply 18
Some background below, feel free to skip it and ask a question :P

Firstly, what's a Kurd?

Kurds are an ethnic group, living in a region called Kurdistan, spanning Turkey, Iraq, Iran and Syria. There are also significant populations in Germany, Azerbaijan and Israel. The total population is approximately 35 million, with their own language, yes you guessed it, Kurdish :smile:

It used to be an empire, and now is a region. Upon the fall of the Ottoman Empire at the beginning of the 20th century, it was set out to become a country, but Turkey forcibly stopped that, at the same time of the Armenian Genocide. Its known for its unique dancing, songs and extravagant clothing.

So Kurdistan?

You may of heard of Kurds, from the genocide committed by Saddam Hussein. Currently the north of Iraq has an autonomous region, with its own government, but the other regions are still suffering.

In Turkey, until recently speaking Kurdish was illegal, and they are not allowed to be mentioned in Parliament. In Iran, silent executions go on every day, recently all Kurdish MPs walked out because all their funding for infrastructure was removed by Rouhanis government. [B]In Syria, Kurds are being slaughtered along with the Christians by the rebels for not partaking in the war.

What about the Iraq war
]

Are you aware of what's going on in Syria?

Also, are you aware of the YPG (and the PKK) in Syria?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by ConnorB
Do you like Darin? The only kurd I've ever met totally raved about him.

Yeah Ive heard of him, and got a few of his songs from my younger days :P He's not actually that famous, but I listen to a lot of Swedish dance artists like Alesso, Axwell, Avicii so I discovered him. I wouldn't think any of my Kurdish friends would know who he is, but yes Kurds obsess over this stuff :P They won't stfu about the Kurd in the finals of Arab Idol lol

Latest