Turn on thread page Beta

Does being highly academic mean you are clever, i.e. by definition? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    somehow i get the idea youre taking the piss :p:

cant believe i spelled comman wrong. perplexing that...i guess its a good thing that spelling is no indication of intelligence!
    Never heard 'don't make the same mistake twice' before?

ReputationRep:
    yup :p:

something looks wrong about common though. and as i'm OCD and such things bother me, i'll continue to spell it that way.

ReputationRep:
    Ocd?

ReputationRep:
    obsessive

compulsive

disorder.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I was thinking perhaps Overly Cerebrally Disorientated.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha is cerebrally a word? :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I believe so. Look it up.

ReputationRep:
    oh my, youre right!

i guess overactive cerebrally disorder is a compliment then :p:

ReputationRep:
    Am I ever wrong?

Well it doesn't make sense, so no.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm.

i hate being pwned.

ReputationRep:
    I'd pwn you more, but you're hot so I'll let you off this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    somehow i get the idea youre taking the piss :p:

cant believe i spelled comman wrong. perplexing that...i guess its a good thing that spelling is no indication of intelligence!
    Notwithstanding that in an existential plane devoid of mathematical precepts, the better part of your intelligence (although I prefer the term 'nous') would be negated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    If you were to use the original IQ tests, person B would come out on top, because they are most likely to have the thought processes allocated marks by Piaget [I'm sure that's the right name :p:]. Then people started picking up on the idea of people being 'brainy' in ways other than mathematically, and now we have verbal intelligence, visual intelligence, digestive intelligence, nasal intelligence... to the point where we have so many kinds of intelligence, all covered by that word, that to match our politically correct world, no person can possibly be 'better' than anyone else.

The fact that a person can raise their IQ by doing more IQ-style tests seems to confirm that if intelligence does exist, we're not doing too great a job of measuring it.

OP, say something; shut me up, I am blethering.
    Far from it; in fact, you've construed my post exactly as I intended. Bang on (in most applicable senses of the phrase).

ReputationRep:
    An academic person is a competent student. To acheive highly, especially in the early stages of education, you do not need to be clever to achieve well academically. Early on, hard work and dedication are, I would say, even more important than mental ability. However, as progress is made up the educational ladder, the relationship changes and, eventually, to score high marks you require, first and foremost, intelligence. The assimilation of knowledge alone is a demonstration of work but not thought. Therefore, at the latest stages of education, if you are highly academic (i.e. disposed to do well in academia) then, I would say, you must also be clever for achievement at this level is dependent on, or requires as a starting point, mental ability. Therefore, at least in the latter stages of learning, highly academic achievers are, almost without exception, clever, also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poltroon)
    An academic person is a competent student. To acheive highly, especially in the early stages of education, you do not need to be clever to achieve well academically. Early on, hard work and dedication are, I would say, even more important than mental ability. However, as progress is made up the educational ladder, the relationship changes and, eventually, to score high marks you require, first and foremost, intelligence. The assimilation of knowledge alone is a demonstration of work but not thought. Therefore, at the latest stages of education, if you are highly academic (i.e. disposed to do well in academia) then, I would say, you must also be clever for achievement at this level is dependent on, or requires as a starting point, mental ability. Therefore, at least in the latter stages of learning, highly academic achievers are, almost without exception, clever, also.
    well said, possibly even better than Profesh:eek:

i may rep you in the near future

ReputationRep:
    There is a weak correlation between IQ and how academic you actually are. So, this sums up the fact that Intelligence can never be considered to be looked upon in the same light as academic ability.

ReputationRep:
    But dont you believe that intelligence is a universal word, that branches out, of which your academic ability is a part of it.

ReputationRep:
    Who are you asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kquishir)
    well said, possibly even better than Profesh:eek:

i may rep you in the near future
    I'm sure that valueless and worthless rep from you red gem will be dearly appreciated.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.