The Student Room Group

Smoking banned in hospital

Do you believe it should be banned or do you think it should be people`s choice to decide whether or not they want to blacken their lungs?

You can probably guess which side I am on in this :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unless there are specific areas for smokers so that they would stop poisoning non-smokers.
Reply 2
It wasn't that long ago that it was permitted in the wards, and a trolley with cigarettes on it came round selling them.
Reply 3
if smokers want to have lung cancer, we can't really stop them. But they shouldn't decide for other people so I think that banning smoking is amazing idea
Nope, Tax revenue will decrease a substantial amount, cetaris parabus. I'm not sure the UK government can afford to ban smoking.
Reply 5
Original post by Aniaa
if smokers want to have lung cancer, we can't really stop them. But they shouldn't decide for other people so I think that banning smoking is amazing idea

Why ban it if they could have a separate area?
Reply 6
Original post by ForgetMe
Why ban it if they could have a separate area?

hospital should be a place where you get cured and not gain new diseases.
Not banned per se, but it should be restricted surely. If it were up to me, I'd ban smoking as a whole
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Nope, Tax revenue will decrease a substantial amount, cetaris parabus. I'm not sure the UK government can afford to ban smoking.

As a fellow Muslim, I see a lot of your posts and like them. But when you said smoking should be allowed in Hospitals for revenue, it goes against all that we have learnt. It's meant to be people before money. Unless you meant the Govt literally can't afford to stop so it should continue, please clear this up please.
It should be banned if it's a public enclosed area.
Original post by finnthehuman
As a fellow Muslim, I see a lot of your posts and like them. But when you said smoking should be allowed in Hospitals for revenue, it goes against all that we have learnt. It's meant to be people before money. Unless you meant the Govt literally can't afford to stop so it should continue, please clear this up please.

Reason being that it would be detrimental to the government. By banning such produce (even with negative externalities) the government may have to resort to contractionary fiscal policies. By doing so the costs to the decisions are likely to outweigh the benefits. Theoretically speaking it would be worse off for the Economy and citizens who depend on government spending for their day to day lives. Personally of-course a ban on smoking would be the socially optimal decision but other factors do come into consideration. Clearly there's a trade-off.

I think OP means whether or not it should be banned generally.
(edited 10 years ago)
It should be banned in all hospital grounds, but I think the law pertaining to everywhere else (i.e. smoking outside only) is OK.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Reason being that it would be detrimental to the government. By banning such produce (even with negative externalities) the government may have to resort to contractionary fiscal policies. By doing so the costs to the decisions are likely to outweigh the benefits. Theoretically speaking it would be worse off for the Economy and citizens who depend on government spending for their day to day lives. Personally of-course a ban on smoking would be the socially optimal decision but other factors do come into consideration. Clearly there's a trade-off.

I think OP means whether or not it should be banned generally.

I get what you mean, now.
Original post by Ice_Queen
It should be banned in all hospital grounds, but I think the law pertaining to everywhere else (i.e. smoking outside only) is OK.

Why is it ok that people with respiratory problems should be exposed to smokers and the toxins that come with it?
Reply 14
Maybe don't force people against their will to not smoke while in hospital but hospitals should definitely go out of their way to ensure all patients who respect their health should be protected from exposure to it. In support of limiting smoking in the hospital setting, smoking has been proven to dramatically slow down the healing process after injuries and illness. Non smokers recover much faster than smokers.
Smoking in public places has been illegal for a little while now so the question is pointless, but in a hospital where the smoke can negative impact upon the ill and the recovering it's just outright wrong.

I thought it was common sense but for the uninitiated, no it should not be allowed. Hospitals of all places.
No. The saddest thing I've ever seen were the smokers outside the hospital doors.
In my opinion smoking should be banned all together.. If it wasn't for the government being greedy I think it would have been.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Why is it ok that people with respiratory problems should be exposed to smokers and the toxins that come with it?

In the majority of places, non-smokers are not in close proximity to smokers for any significant period of time. Most of the time, smokers can be avoided altogether.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Smoking in public places has been illegal for a little while now so the question is pointless, but in a hospital where the smoke can negative impact upon the ill and the recovering it's just outright wrong.

I thought it was common sense but for the uninitiated, no it should not be allowed. Hospitals of all places.

I can't help but smirk when I'm taking the bus past our local hospital and see half a dozen nurses smoking outside the doors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending