Turn on thread page Beta

The bed thread watch

Announcements

(Original post by Note)
    So is this a single bed or king size, coz I'm thinking with the amount of people joining it could get rather cosy...
    it's custom made, special really - cos it grows big enough to accomodate each new addition

ReputationRep:
    Oooh... Like that infinitely large hotel riddle...

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! *Jumps about on his own section*
    Bouncy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mudman)
    You tell me lol
    I personally haven't a clue. But i''d say it was pretty dandy.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh... Like that infinitely large hotel riddle...
    Do tell.

*bounces* it's soo comfy!

ReputationRep:
    I love my side. It's a water bed.

(Original post by Clarence)
    I love my side. It's a water bed.
    is it? *bounces over* :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Note)
    Do tell.
    It's called Herbert's Hotel or something...

Basically, it proves that infinity plus or minus one, is infinity. And that double infinity is infinity. But that there are different sizes of infinity, for example there are more irrational numbers than rational numbers, but both have an infinite number of numbers in their set.

The proof, btw, goes something like: someone goes to a hotel with an infinite number of rooms, but is told the hotel is full. The manager gets round this problem by asking the person in room one to move to room two, and the one in room two to move to room three etc, and eventually, there is a vacency in room one, while everyone still has a room :. infinity plus one equals infinity. If an infinite number of people want a room, everyone is asked to move to the room number double their current one. i.e. room one moves to two, room two moves to four etc. This leaves an infinite number of odd numbered rooms available, in which to fit an infinite number of people :. infinity plus infinity equals infinity.

ReputationRep:
    I personally haven't a clue. But i''d say it was pretty dandy.
    Lol. Best use of 'dandy' award goes to Clarence!

It's called Herbert's Hotel or something...

Basically, it proves that infinity plus or minus one, is infinity. And that double infinity is infinity. But that there are different sizes of infinity, for example there are more irrational numbers than rational numbers, but both have an infinite number of numbers in their set.

The proof, btw, goes something like: someone goes to a hotel with an infinite number of rooms, but is told the hotel is full. The manager gets round this problem by asking the person in room one to move to room two, and the one in room two to move to room three etc, and eventually, there is a vacency in room one, while everyone still has a room :. infinity plus one equals infinity. If an infinite number of people want a room, everyone is asked to move to the room number dougble their current one. i.e. room one moves to two, room two moves to four etc. This leaves an infinite number of odd numbered rooms available, in which to fit an infinite number of people :. infinity plus infinity equals infinity.
    yah

Lol. Best use of 'dandy' award goes to Clarence!
    he was a big hairy cartoon man.. something clarence wants to share?

ReputationRep:
    And The Mudman reveals yet another secret of the multi-faceted world of maths. I bow to you Mudman *bows*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timeslikethese)
    he was a big hairy cartoon man.. something clarence wants to share?

You said it...:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Note)
    And The Mudman reveals yet another secret of the multi-faceted world of maths. I bow to you Mudman *bows*
    The Mudman suddenly realises he is talking maths, and feels very dirty... In a bad way. He also realises he is talking about himself in the third person, and is incredibly annoyed and dismayed.

You said it...:p:
    :eek: I did?

The Mudman suddenly realises he is talking maths, and feels very dirty... In a bad way. He also realises he is talking about himself in the third person, and is incredibly annoyed and dismayed.
    ..and sounds silly! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I Love My Brick!!

ReputationRep:
    So seeing as we're all here I think it's about time to choose the bed linen. Any preferences?

I Love My Brick!!
    Father Jack!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.