The Student Room Group

Can I study Computer Science at university with a BTEC Applied Science degree?

I graduated in July of this year with a BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science (Level 3) and got D*DD.

I am currently on a gap year but I am applying for uni for next year and wanted to study computer science.

Is studying computer science possible with the qualifications that I've gained or is there no way possible to gain entrance into that degree?

What are all the options available (such as doing a foundation year or possibly taking another course before I start)

And can anyone who's been in this situation help out as it would be very helpful.
I have completed a BTEC and am in the process of applying to University to do Aerospace Eng.

You should probably do some research instead of being spoon fed the information (that's what uni involves), and find out what courses you meet the entry requirements for.

Foundation year is also definitely an option, if you're not too old.
Reply 2
I'm 20 years old now. Would a foundation year be good at this yr if there aren't any other options

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am also 20. Foundation year depends on where you want to go.

If you are set on a particular university, then yes take their foundation year.

If you don't want to spend another year before going onto the actual degree course, choose a uni with slightly lower entry requirements. It's up to you.

The benefits of a foundation year at a good uni is that your employability is better than a straight up degree from a middle ranking uni.
Reply 4
Original post by ✈ ✈
I am also 20. Foundation year depends on where you want to go.

If you are set on a particular university, then yes take their foundation year.

If you don't want to spend another year before going onto the actual degree course, choose a uni with slightly lower entry requirements. It's up to you.

The benefits of a foundation year at a good uni is that your employability is better than a straight up degree from a middle ranking uni.

As long as the university is based in London in not too worried about the specific uni but rather about the course structure and content and whether my chances of employment are better at that uni instead of another.

And I am willing to take the foundation year but if I could get into the course directly without compromising too much on how well the course structure and content and the rank of of the uni then I would take that route.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by mahad1912
As long as the university is based in London in not too worried about the specific uni but rather about the course structure and content and whether my chances of employment are better at that uni instead of another.

And I am willing to take the foundation year but if I could get into the course directly without compromising too much on how well the course structure and content and the rank of of the uni then I would take that route.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If its for computer science and job prospects i'd highly recommend City university. Have a look at this website for comparisons and graduate salarys etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending