Bustamove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hey,im writing my personal statement abit earlier for the 2015 entry (apply in 2014 and going uni at 2015) as i'm taking a gap year, and I'm just wondering, as I'm applying for music in university, would universities like it if i mention film music in my personal statement?? because film music is the main reason which has inspired me when i was a child into classical music and writing my own compositions and i'm not really sure if i should mention it, i think most universities would prefer it if i wrote more about mozart or bach, I'm not sure on how universities view film music??....

just to make this clear, i want to apply for music and not film studies or media studies...

i have been looking at a few example music personal statements on google and have seen other people's personal statement who are applying to music and i haven't seen anyone talk about film music?
please let me know if i should write this down or not?
thank you
WhoopsRaccoon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Of course, write about what you're passionate about!!

Perhaps have a look at the course descriptions for the unis which you're applying for as some of them may even offer modules on film music or a related area/you'll get a feel for what they generally emphasise. I'm at Oxford and I'm taking the film music module so there is no reason to think it is 'looked down on'!

Good luck!
Bustamove
Rep:
?
(Original post by WhoopsRaccoon)
Of course, write about what you're passionate about!!

Perhaps have a look at the course descriptions for the unis which you're applying for as some of them may even offer modules on film music or a related area/you'll get a feel for what they generally emphasise. I'm at Oxford and I'm taking the film music module so there is no reason to think it is 'looked down on'!

Good luck!
I was thinking of applying to Oxford for music as i saw that in the second year(or is it third?), you get to pick film music.....
and okay thank you...

quick question, would Oxford look down on me if i take a gap year??? because i only realised that i wanted to do music in university in my last year of A-levels and as i did not take A-level music, I'm going to have to do my grade 8 theory (as a substitute) in my gap year before i can make an application...

so I'm thinking of taking a gap year from 2014-2015, hand in my application in 2014, do my gap year and get grade 8 theory and grade 8 piano, then go university in 2015.... how would universities see this?

(and during my gap year, i'm not just gonna spend it in england, i'm going to travel as well around the end of my gap year)
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bustamove)
I was thinking of applying to Oxford for music as i saw that in the second year(or is it third?), you get to pick film music.....
and okay thank you...

quick question, would Oxford look down on me if i take a gap year??? because i only realised that i wanted to do music in university in my last year of A-levels and as i did not take A-level music, I'm going to have to do my grade 8 theory (as a substitute) in my gap year before i can make an application...

so I'm thinking of taking a gap year from 2014-2015, hand in my application in 2014, do my gap year and get grade 8 theory and grade 8 piano, then go university in 2015.... how would universities see this?

(and during my gap year, i'm not just gonna spend it in england, i'm going to travel as well around the end of my gap year)
As an Oxonian myself, I'd strongly advise emailing Oxford's Faculty and checking whether Grade 8 Theory + Grade 8 practical is acceptable instead of an A Level in music. Tbh, I'm not convinced it is and even if it is, it's not the best grounding for an Oxford degree. Definitely look into this before making any plans.

As for a gap year, it's fine to take one as long as you do constructive things in it. About half of my Oxford cohort were a year older than me, coz they had all taken gap years!

As for personal statement help: I am the main music reviewer on TSR's Personal Statement Help forum. In July, submit a draft and I can work on it with you. If you don't get a reply from me, go to Ask a Personal Statement Help Mod forum and ask someone to alert me that you have submitted your statement. Or drop me a quick PM. Don't PM me your statement, as I am not allowed to review PSes sent via PM :nah:

Write about film music if it's what you're interested in, but I'd stress that it got you interested in classical music. Otherwise people just make assumptions having skimread and get confused :p:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As suspected,

"Q2 I’m a UK citizen and want to study Music at Oxford, but I don’t have A2 Music. I do have ABRSM Grade 8 Theory. Can I still apply?
A2 Although ABRSM Grade 8 Theory is helpful in providing useful theoretical background to the course, it is not a substitute for A2 Music at Grade A."

http://www.music.ox.ac.uk/apply/undergraduate/faqs/

So you'll have to do AS and A2 within a year. It'll be tough but if you're talented and work hard, it's perfectly doable. Someone in my secondary school did this in order to gain entry to Leeds University to study music performance :yes: She got incredibly high marks as well! :yep:
Bustamove
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
As suspected,

"Q2 I’m a UK citizen and want to study Music at Oxford, but I don’t have A2 Music. I do have ABRSM Grade 8 Theory. Can I still apply?
A2 Although ABRSM Grade 8 Theory is helpful in providing useful theoretical background to the course, it is not a substitute for A2 Music at Grade A."

http://www.music.ox.ac.uk/apply/undergraduate/faqs/

So you'll have to do AS and A2 within a year. It'll be tough but if you're talented and work hard, it's perfectly doable. Someone in my secondary school did this in order to gain entry to Leeds University to study music performance :yes: She got incredibly high marks as well! :yep:
((, it looks like i won't be applying to oxford for music , i didn't realise that i wanted to do music until half way into my A-levels in the year that i'm doing A2, so i'm currently not studying music A-level but the subjects that i'm doing now are chemistry, biology, maths statistics and economics and it's too late to change my A-level subjects as i'm already half way trough.... I was hoping that grade 8 theory can be a substitute like it is for Cambridge university, so i guess i will apply to Cambridge instead of Oxford...

unless i spend my gap year studying and doing the entire course in my gap year? I can't spend my gap year doing my whole A-level music can i?? wouldn't universities look down at this as i would have spent 3 years studying instead of 2 before my entry to university?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

unless i spend my gap year studying and doing the entire course in my gap year? I can't spend my gap year doing my whole A-level music can i?? wouldn't universities look down at this as i would have spent 3 years studying instead of 2 before my entry to university?
You'd have to discuss whether the three year thing would be problematic, with someone from the department. I'm inclined to think they'd understand in your case but important to hear from the horse's mouth, so to speak :yes:
Bustamove
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
You'd have to discuss whether the three year thing would be problematic, with someone from the department. I'm inclined to think they'd understand in your case but important to hear from the horse's mouth, so to speak :yes:
Okay, because i know most universities dislike people studying for three years..... so I'd discuss to them about finishing of my currrent A-levels which is Biology, chemistry, maths stats and economics this year and doing Music A-level in one year during my gap year, I hope they won't judge me too much, not sure if it really does count as me taking 3 years as I'm not retaking the year or going to do any retakes in my gap year.... ah I'm nervous...
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Okay, because i know most universities dislike people studying for three years..... so I'd discuss to them about finishing of my currrent A-levels which is Biology, chemistry, maths stats and economics this year and doing Music A-level in one year during my gap year, I hope they won't judge me too much, not sure if it really does count as me taking 3 years as I'm not retaking the year or going to do any retakes in my gap year.... ah I'm nervous...
Yeah I don't think they'd count it as three years, for the reasons you say. Plus it's only subjects like Medicine that have uber-tight rules about three years to do A Levels, afaik :dontknow:
WhoopsRaccoon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
One more thing re: applying to oxford because you saw that you get to do film music in 2nd & 3rd years...

Those modules listed as special topics or optional topics or whatever (a while since I looked in the prospectus!) CHANGE every now and then - it's not usually predictable but I will say that the professor who is the expert on film music (gives the lectures and sets the exam questions) is retiring at the end of this year so I reckon the odds of that particular module changing soon are slightly higher than usual!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (54)
29.51%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
22.95%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (16)
8.74%
No - I live at home during term anyway (48)
26.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed