Turn on thread page Beta

Complaints letter watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know how to start/ end a complaints letter? I know there are different ways depending upon if you know the person, and obviously I don't. I'm complaining about some psycho bus driver is anyone's bothered lol. Gotta vent my steam somehow! :p: Rep on offer btw.

Ld's

ReputationRep:
    Dear Sir/Madam

Your Sincerely

ReputationRep:
    Hehe this reminds me.... when I was younger I once wrote a letter of complaint to someone that ended in, "Yours disgustingly"... wouldn't reccommend doing that though!

Here's a good way to go... http://www.howtocomplain.com/info/cl-template.shtml

ReputationRep:
    Thanks thegreatstupendo.

Rosalily-LOL! Did you get a reply?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, dear sir/madam

i'd like to make a complaint...

yours sincerely

pretty simple :p:

ReputationRep:
    Keep it polite then they can't throw anything back at you or ignore you

ReputationRep:
    sort out your drivers you *******s!

regards,

ReputationRep:
    Phone up, it's easier and you don't have to worry about working. I phoned the Old El Paso complaints line a while ago about some moldy salsa, and was quite friendly, and they sent me a £5 coupon. Who's winning? We're all winning!

ReputationRep:
    You could maybe begin by saying:

"Dear ... (you should write either Sir or Madam, I think it's rude to write both)

I am writing to express my dissatisfaction after...."

and then end with

"I recommend that you take action to resolve the situation.." You could also suggest that they may lose your custom (and indeed that of other bus users).

If it's a situation where you think you could/should get some form of compensation, you could end with

"I suggest you compensate for this appropriately." Maybe not as pushy as that but you get the idea.

When it's someone you don't know, ie. you haven't addressed them by name, you use 'Yours faithfully.'
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazydays)
    Rosalily-LOL! Did you get a reply?
    Nope. For some reason, I don't think they took me seriously, but I don't know why! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I recently made a complaint to Toucan about my broadband service, and followed the guidelines here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/how_to...complain.shtml

The main point, I thought, was not to become irate and start mouthing off about them. Don't begin your letter "Dear ****, I am ****ing disgusted with your company and will be fire-bombing your offices on Tuesday."

Just set out what they have done to annoy you, step by step without waffling on. I did this, and it still took three pages. Try to find out what you're entitled to by law, and mention particular regulations or laws that you think the company has broken.

You should also find out whether there is an industry regulator you should go to. I'm going to go to Ofgem if I don't get a satisfactory response from Toucan within 12 weeks (this is how Ofgem do things) and I wrote that in my letter. You're pretty much guaranteed a response if you do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegreatstupendo)
    Dear Sir/Madam

Your Sincerely
    If you don't know the person's name, you should end the letter 'Yours faithfully'.

ReputationRep:
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I would like to make a complaint reagrding X person/service I spoke to/used on the DD of MM, 2006.

Background....

Issue....

Complaint....

I would expect this complaint to be escalated to the management of this department and expect a reply detailing proposed resolution within 7 business days.

Yours faithfully,

Annoyed Consumer.

ReputationRep:
    It's not at all rude to write Dear Sir/Madam, in fact it's most polite because you don't know whom you're addressing and it could be either. Alternatively it is just as appropriate to write 'To whom it may concern'.

Other than that, all the tips so far have been good

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the council broke one of my windows in my car so I sent them this letter:
    Dear whoever it may concern,

I am writing to you to inform you of my intention to claim against Coventry City Council, regarding an incident that occurred on the 15th of June 2006.

I was travelling up Clifford Bridge Road at 10:55AM on the 15th when my rear passenger side window smashed. I immediately pulled over and inspected the damage to my vehicle. It was evident that something had hit the window with considerable force as almost the entire pane had been smashed into the car.

I looked back along the road and saw 2 council workers who were mowing the verges. They shut off their mowers and headed up to meet with me as they heard the smash. It then became clear that a stone had been kicked up by one of the mowers.

I was shown both of the mowers and agreed that both had the relevant safety guards in place, so it would be reasonable to suggest that Coventry City Council are not guilty of negligence. However, I would demand that I be reimbursed, to the value of £60, for the excess I have had to pay to have the pane repaired.

I was assured by the council personnel at the incident that there would be a speedy resolution to this matter as they admitted that the accident was due to them mowing the verges. I would therefore find it reasonable to ask that this issue be resolved within one working week, otherwise further action may have to be undertaken.

I have enclosed a photocopy of the receipt from Autoglass as proof of completion of the work and the bill for £60.

Yours Faithfully
    They responded with a stupid generic letter telling me to bog off.

So I responded:

CC: Atherstone Citizens Advice Bureau

Dear Bal Bains,

Subject to your response to my claim, I intend to dispute that the council is not liable for the damage caused to my vehicle and would demand that the charges I have incurred be reimbursed to me.

I feel I have been very reasonable with my request of the reimbursement of the £60 excess that I have had to pay to have the pane repaired. For you to come back and deny all liability for causing damage to my property is utterly absurd. I see this as no different than an accident on the road. Party A caused accidental damage to Party B’s property and thus Party A should pay for the repairs. I am not asking for compensation because of “psychological trauma” or anything like that. I am merely trying to recoup my costs for damage that has been caused to my vehicle.

Seeing as on the day of the incident, I was informed by the supervisor present that this happens “all the time” and that there should be “no problem” in recouping my losses caused by the accident as “other people make successful claims against the council all the time”, I feel that I am being fobbed off for the sake of £60 – which to a council as large as yours is twopence – however, to me it’s almost a week’s wages that have been effectively stolen from me, thanks to this incident.

What concerns me, however, is the utterly blasé attitude with which you seem to be dealing with the fact that, had I been a tenth of a second later, passing the two workmen, I could have easily been hit by the stone and been severely injured; which could have caused a pile-up on a busy road, injuring other motorists. Just because I was not physically injured certainly does not mean that everything’s fine and that the matter can be just “brushed under the carpet”. A passer-by could have been seriously injured – a child, a baby even.

You clearly state in your letter that it is part of the employee’s job description to “check all areas for stones and other debris before cutting commences”. Evidently, this was not thorough enough and/or performed. I’d consider this negligence on the part of the employee in this case; which, you cite as being grounds for compensation.

The risk assessment and measures in place to protect the public from injury clearly are not rigorous enough. The deflector guards on the mowers themselves were defeated on this occasion, which could have had dire consequences.

Damage has been caused to my vehicle, whether through negligence or not. Either way I am £60 worse off and again, I reiterate my demand that this decision be reconsidered, otherwise I shall be forced to take this matter further.

This letter has also been distributed to the Citizens Advice Bureau and a legal advisor, who will be and are advising me on my course of action herein.

Yours Faithfully
    They paid the £60. :cool:

My tip is, send a nice but firm letter to start with, appeal to their good side and then if you get no joy, go in for the kill.

ReputationRep:
    Nice :cool:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.