Anyone else have parents like this?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Yesterday night I asked my Dad if he could give me a lift home from a night out. He said yes. There was another person who lives near me and didn't have a way of getting home so I offered them a lift. They accepted.

So my dad picked us up and dropped the other person home on the way. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem? I am male, the passenger was female. Any normal family this would be fine, but no. Not mine.

My Dad makes a big fuss about girls. I am not religious or anything, but I feel like he has created a religion where I can only talk to boys. Every time I mention a girl (whether a friend or just someone I work with) he asks lots of questions and will tell my Mum in quiet whilst i'm not there, as if I am in love with her.

My Mum tries to be cool about it but really, she makes it just as bad. If I say something to her she will say 'Oh don't let Dad know then!' or 'If Dad says anything to me i'll just say 'Ok''. I honestly can't imagine having a girlfriend with them around. It would just be awkward and my Dad would constantly be asking about it and talking about it behind my back.

I can't see why it's so awkward. They don't say anything if I say anything about boys but anything about girls everything turns awkward. They shouldn't even need to say stuff like 'I won't say anything' or 'That's cool with us' or whatever. It's so annoying!!

Qari
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yesterday night I asked my Dad if he could give me a lift home from a night out. He said yes. There was another person who lives near me and didn't have a way of getting home so I offered them a lift. They accepted.

So my dad picked us up and dropped the other person home on the way. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem? I am male, the passenger was female. Any normal family this would be fine, but no. Not mine.

My Dad makes a big fuss about girls. I am not religious or anything, but I feel like he has created a religion where I can only talk to boys. Every time I mention a girl (whether a friend or just someone I work with) he asks lots of questions and will tell my Mum in quiet whilst i'm not there, as if I am in love with her.

My Mum tries to be cool about it but really, she makes it just as bad. If I say something to her she will say 'Oh don't let Dad know then!' or 'If Dad says anything to me i'll just say 'Ok''. I honestly can't imagine having a girlfriend with them around. It would just be awkward and my Dad would constantly be asking about it and talking about it behind my back.

I can't see why it's so awkward. They don't say anything if I say anything about boys but anything about girls everything turns awkward. They shouldn't even need to say stuff like 'I won't say anything' or 'That's cool with us' or whatever. It's so annoying!!

My whole family. As in if I talk to a girl who isn't a relative or mention that I have a girl who's a friend. They just........

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #1
It's led to me feeling awkward just being around girls, just in case my parents find out. I can't ever imagine telling them when I get a girlfriend, I'd have to have moved out by then so I don't have to face them each day.
MechanicalGambit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
this sounds like a something from a hilarious sit-com, im sorry

well first off i would say DO NOT let it have an effect on how you interact with girls
if you brought a girl round would he do embarrassing stuff in front of her? if not then who cares, just tell your Dad to chill out and stop gossiping like an old woman, surely he's just pulling your leg?
Qari
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MechanicalGambit)

well first off i would say DO NOT let it have an effect on how you interact with girls
if you brought a girl round would he do embarrassing stuff in front of her? if not then who cares, just tell your Dad to chill out and stop gossiping like an old woman, surely he's just pulling your leg?
My family is like that. They only do it as a joke

Posted from TSR Mobile
ninuzu
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My dad does this...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MechanicalGambit)

I can't imagine bringing a girl round, but if I did he would probably just act normal then it will all start when she goes. Questions, humiliation and everything. It's not a joke, it's just how he is.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 years ago
I'm a girl by family can be like that although not as often as your family I think. I had the same situation,a guy friend of mine asked if he could get a lift home and my mum who picked me up was fine with it but as soon as he had left the car,she began asking me who he was,and if he was more than a friend etc..she laughs about it but it can grate on me a bit. One time a guy walked me hoke after work and he waved goodbye at my house,and my mum asked me about him aswell(ended up going on a few dates with him before he moved.)

I dread to think what they'll be like if I ever get a boyfriend.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 years ago
*home
* although that was completely random.
Qari
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm a girl by family can be like that although not as often as your family I think. I had the same situation,a guy friend of mine asked if he could get a lift home and my mum who picked me up was fine with it but as soon as he had left the car,she began asking me who he was,and if he was more than a friend etc..she laughs about it but it can grate on me a bit. One time a guy walked me hoke after work and he waved goodbye at my house,and my mum asked me about him aswell(ended up going on a few dates with him before he moved.)

I dread to think what they'll be like if I ever get a boyfriend.
she was joking.
Just go with the flow that is what I do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Let them believe you're gay for a bit... they might switch their attitude around to acting like that when you talk about boys... then surprise them by getting a girlfriend. Might make them think.

In all seriousness though, I think they may be feeling awkward with you being at an age of having sexual and romantic interests. Its probably worth sitting them both down and telling them maturely that the way they act makes you feel uncomfortable and that your dad behaves as if any female friend is a romantic interest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (184)
59.74%
No (68)
22.08%
Not sure (56)
18.18%

Watched Threads