Is prisoners having the vote anti-conservative?

Watch
John Stuart Mill
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I was going to put this in the debate section, but i'd just like to see responses rather than deal with the nitty gritty ad hominems that usually fly around with such responsibility.

Let's think for a moment, a person in prison if given the right to vote should in theory always vote against the conservative party, because the conservative party would want things to stay the same, ergo to keep them in jail for their entire sentence, and in the same conditions; whereas other political parties might reform the prison.

Do you think prisoner voting has a slight bias?
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Regardless of party politics (I wouldn't call myself a conservative), I think giving prisoners the vote is a stupid idea. The whole point of prison should be to separate dangerous people from society; why would you give these people a say over how things are run?
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think that prisoners voting has a bias to extremist parties. I don't think any prisoners would bother voting for the big three anyway, rather they'd vote for some far right party or an islamist party.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Conservatives would support private prisons, meaning less funding to prison conditions, so for self-interest I wouldn't expect them to vote Tory.

Still don't think they should vote however
uktotalgamer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Conservatives would support private prisons, meaning less funding to prison conditions, so for self-interest I wouldn't expect them to vote Tory.

Still don't think they should vote however
So there bloody should be less funding to prisons. It isn't Butlins.
John Stuart Mill
Rep:
?
(Original post by uktotalgamer)
oh God I got a good rofl from that after seeing it at the corner of my screen.
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Despite considering myself a Tory supporter, I can see where people are coming from in arguing for prisoners' right to vote. The issue is that you're introducing a bit of bias into the selection of justice policy by cutting out of the vote a good majority of the people who will be affected by it. People on the outside often don't have that much understanding of how things work beyond what the media tell them, which is always that prisons are too soft and criminals are effectively getting away with their crimes. My point is that it's all too easy for people to vote in favour of some oppressive policy when they're never going to have to deal with it themselves and therefore have some emotional detachment from it; if you then go and eliminate from the vote the section of society that will be concerned with the policy it's skewing the whole system in one direction. And people will leave prison as well - at the moment if you're on the last day of your sentence on the day of an election you lose the right to have a say in the way the country is run for the next five years while you're out living with it.

As much as I agree, the issue is that when prisoners get bored they tend to get violent and riot. There's not much you can do about that besides giving in and giving them some limited comforts - studies have shown that once you're already expecting or experiencing punishment, increasing the amount or severity of that punishment doesn't do much at all to deter people from behaving badly.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No wonder our reoffending rate is so high then, investing in the prison service and focusing on rehabilitation would save money in the long run.
uktotalgamer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
No wonder our reoffending rate is so high then, investing in the prison service and focusing on rehabilitation would save money in the long run.
'Rehabilitation.' The left wingers answer to everything.
John Stuart Mill
Rep:
?
'Rehabilitation.' The left wingers answer to everything.
'Death'. The right wingers answer to everything.
uktotalgamer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by John Stuart Mill)
'Death'. The right wingers answer to everything.
*punishment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads