The Student Room Group

St. Andrews

What is St. Andrew's uni like? Is it really the best uni around, or is that just people talking?
No, its pretty good! Always rates quite high on league tables, normally between 5-7th. If I got in, I'd love to go (but unfortunately they don't do my desired courses haha)
Original post by plumpudding
What is St. Andrew's uni like? Is it really the best uni around, or is that just people talking?

'best' is hard to define, it depends on what you look for in a university, but I do languages at St Andrews and I love it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannah_lou
'best' is hard to define, it depends on what you look for in a university, but I do languages at St Andrews and I love it :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the actual town like? I've heard its quite boring and quiet - I do love the look of it though, really traditional.
Original post by politicalmind
What is the actual town like? I've heard its quite boring and quiet - I do love the look of it though, really traditional.

It is far from boring. Admittedly, if you like clubbing and large towns, it isn't the place for you. However, there are loads of pubs and house parties going on, and Dundee isn't too far, where there are clubs. It has 3 beaches, loads of independent shops, as well as some chain shops/restaurants. I love it, but it really depends on what you want from a university town.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What language do you study ?? I've got my conditional for St Andrews to study French and Spanish starting this September but I'm worried about the grades to get in !! How was the whole application stage for you ?
Original post by Flowerchild_123
What language do you study ?? I've got my conditional for St Andrews to study French and Spanish starting this September but I'm worried about the grades to get in !! How was the whole application stage for you ?

I study German and Russian. I missed out by one grade and I still got in (I got ABB instead of AAB) and yeah, the application stage was stressful, but the admissions department are very helpful and try not to worry about it now, or else it will ruin your whole summer. Tbh, the arrangements for my year abroad are causing me more stress than the initial application ever did (not that the uni is to blame for my awkward year abroad situation- never go with the British Council), so I really wouldn't panic.
I study German and Russian. I missed out by one grade and I still got in (I got ABB instead of AAB) and yeah, the application stage was stressful, but the admissions department are very helpful and try not to worry about it now, or else it will ruin your whole summer. Tbh, the arrangements for my year abroad are causing me more stress than the initial application ever did (not that the uni is to blame for my awkward year abroad situation- never go with the British Council), so I really wouldn't panic.

Russian sounds awesome!! I'm hoping to do either that or arabic as either a separate option or as one of the other subjects you can choose to do in first year! whats it like learning it ? Easy or hard compared to German?

Thats what i think i'm going to get, but i think the B will end being my language a-level (the exam went horribly!!) but i went to an open day and the lecturer said "no A, no way" and i cannot get it out of my head :')

Sounds stressful but i bet once you've got it all sorted and you're on that plane going to where ever it is you're going, you'll be super pumped and excited!!!
Original post by Flowerchild_123
Russian sounds awesome!! I'm hoping to do either that or arabic as either a separate option or as one of the other subjects you can choose to do in first year! whats it like learning it ? Easy or hard compared to German?

Thats what i think i'm going to get, but i think the B will end being my language a-level (the exam went horribly!!) but i went to an open day and the lecturer said "no A, no way" and i cannot get it out of my head :')

Sounds stressful but i bet once you've got it all sorted and you're on that plane going to where ever it is you're going, you'll be super pumped and excited!!!

Russian is very challenging, but it is so rewarding and I'm so happy I chose it. It's far better than German. Well, it's hard as you have to learn two new alphabets (Cyrillic and cursive), and the grammar is hard to get your head around, but that's nothing that practice and hard work won't fix. It is very similar to German, in that it has a case system, except Russian has six cases, as opposed to the four you find in German (instrumental and prepositional are the additional cases). Russian also steals words from German, which makes things easier too. The department are also lovely and very supportive, especially Olga and Svetlana (grammar and oral tutors). Well, my B grade was in Classics, I still got my A in German, so you'll just have to wait and see, but don't worry about it now- who knows, you might have got that A! Sadly, the place where I'm going is full of art museums (which I hate) and not a lot else, and I wanted to be in the South of Germany, but I've been placed in the Northernmost region, so I'm not feeling positive about my year abroad. But I will be doing a semester in Russia the following year, so it's not all bad. Good luck with your results :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending