Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/st...eeting-molotov

Your thoughts?
boris the animal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Once saw a programme (on the Discovery Channel I think), and it was exactly about Stalin and women. If I remember correctly, they said that Joseph was always rude. and that no boundaries of decency existed for him (which was not surprising).

I remember one moment from the programme well: at one dinner party, Communist Party leaders came together with their wives. Stalin liked one of the married women and he started flirting with her in front of her husband. The flirtation was that he was throwing lumps of bread at her.
I don't know if it's true or not, but this story was mentioned in the programme.
JungleeBilli
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is a poster in the History department at my university that says, 'I respected women before they were people'

Where did this theory come about from ?
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by boris the animal)
Once saw a programme (on the Discovery Channel I think), and it was exactly about Stalin and women. If I remember correctly, they said that Joseph was always rude. and that no boundaries of decency existed for him (which was not surprising).

I remember one moment from the programme well: at one dinner party, Communist Party leaders came together with their wives. Stalin liked one of the married women and he started flirting with her in front of her husband. The flirtation was that he was throwing lumps of bread at her.
I don't know if it's true or not, but this story was mentioned in the programme.
I think the thing about Stalin is that he may not have cared that much. There were only two people on the planet I could have imagined that would have intimidated Stalin, Zhukov and Tito. He was despite his despotism ridiculously tough and may have treated feminism with some mirth, however this might not be true.
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by JungleeBilli)
There is a poster in the History department at my university that says, 'I respected women before they were people'

Where did this theory come about from ?
I think with Stalin there was a problem of who was going to stop him? He out thought and outmanoeuvred his opponents to amazing degrees.
tehFrance
Badges: 17
Report 6 years ago

It wouldn't surprise me if that was true, he was a rather damaged man in general.

Do you remember the title of the documentary that you saw?
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by tehFrance)
It wouldn't surprise me if that was true, he was a rather damaged man in general.

He was undamaged enough to lead Russia to victory. I detest his actions. However, Stalin was a genius. He came from poverty to become leader of the USSR.
boris the animal
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)

I don't remember, unfortunately (( It was several years ago.
boris the animal
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rational Thinker)
He was undamaged enough to lead Russia to victory. I detest his actions. However, Stalin was a genius. He came from poverty to become leader of the USSR.
First, it wasn't just Russia, but the it was the whole of the USSR that he led to victory.
Second, he wasn't the one who won over the Nazis, but the people. Look at the losses of the Soviet Army and of the Wehrmacht. The Germans have lost MUCH fewer soldiers. On the other hand, Stalin didn't spare people and threw them armless on the enemy. So I strongly disagree that the victory is Stalin's merit.
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Has anyone seen photos of him from his youth? There's another reason that women liked him and attended his meets..

Name:  YoungStalin(round).jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  10.9 KB
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
First, it wasn't just Russia, but the it was the whole of the USSR that he led to victory.
Second, he wasn't the one who won over the Nazis, but the people. Look at the losses of the Soviet Army and of the Wehrmacht. The Germans have lost MUCH fewer soldiers. On the other hand, Stalin didn't spare people and threw them armless on the enemy. So I strongly disagree that the victory is Stalin's merit.
Russia was the spearhead, so your first point is null. Stalin refused to surrender at a time when a weaker person would have. Stalin was cruel and capricious he was also exceptionally intelligent and courageous even George Orwell a staunch anti Stalinist admitted that. People need to stop confusing being kind with being brave.
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
Has anyone seen photos of him from his youth? There's another reason that women liked him and attended his meets..

Name:  YoungStalin(round).jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  10.9 KB
He also had a excellent voice for singing I believe.
boris the animal
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Russia was the spearhead, so your first point is null.
Reading your answers makes me think that you may not be fully competent as far as certain historical questions go (no offence meant).
You're saying that Russia was the spearhead, but it was Belarus and Ukraine that received the first blow. The main battles of the eastern front were fought on the territories of these two countries. I'm not trying to belittle the bravery of the Russian people, but it might not be entirely truthful to say that they won single-handedly.

Stalin refused to surrender at a time when a weaker person would have. Stalin was cruel and capricious he was also exceptionally intelligent and courageous even George Orwell a staunch anti Stalinist admitted that. People need to stop confusing being kind with being brave.
I'm not denying the fact that Stalin was intelligent and cunning. Were he a mere psycho, we wouldn't have achieved all of this.
But I cannot agree that the victory in the war was his merit. It is ordinary soldiers who bring victories, and he wasn't one.
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
Reading your answers makes me think that you may not be fully competent as far as certain historical questions go (no offence meant).
You're saying that Russia was the spearhead, but it was Belarus and Ukraine that received the first blow. The main battles of the eastern front were fought on the territories of these two countries. I'm not trying to belittle the bravery of the Russian people, but it might not be entirely truthful to say that they won single-handedly.

I'm not denying the fact that Stalin was intelligent and cunning. Were he a mere psycho, we wouldn't have achieved all of this.
But I cannot agree that the victory in the war was his merit. It is ordinary soldiers who bring victories, and he wasn't one.
Again I am not denying that other countries were involved and your attempt at a snide remark falls short. However, it was not until the Nazi's really got into Russia did they encounter the resistance that would cripple their war effort, for instance the Nazi's were at first welcomed into the Ukraine who loathed Stalin's.

No one is denying the soldiers bravery but organisation is required for a war effort and Stalin provided it. You say "we" were you personally involved in World War Two?
TheLoveDoctor
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
stalin caused one of his wives to commit suicide, so I'm guessing he treated her (and most likely more women than simply her) badly
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheLoveDoctor)
stalin caused one of his wives to commit suicide, so I'm guessing he treated her (and most likely more women than simply her) badly
He did appoint Women to pretty senior positions though.
boris the animal
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Again I am not denying that other countries were involved and your attempt at a snide remark falls short. However, it was not until the Nazi's really got into Russia did they encounter the resistance that would cripple their war effort, for instance the Nazi's were at first welcomed into the Ukraine who loathed Stalin's.

No one is denying the soldiers bravery but organisation is required for a war effort and Stalin provided it.
Are you a Russian or a communist? Or a Russian communist? Just say it.

I find it amusing to read statements about the real resistance beginning only on the territory of Russia. Belarus and Ukraine were practically entirely destroyed in the battles. It was really difficult for the Wehrmacht to pass through these countries. They were occupied only in mid 1942. It took them a whole year. Is that what you're calling "an easy stroll"?

Concerning the fact that the Germans were welcomed in Ukraine: thanks to Stalin, they were welcomed everywhere. Here are some pictures from Minsk http://collections.yadvashem.org/pho...-us/82192.html
As for Russia, they were even allowed to create their own autonomy there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lokot_Autonomy

How can we speak about any talents of Stalin as a tactitian and a military leader if the lossess of the USSR were far greater than those of Germany?
According to wikipedia, the USSR lost from 21,800,000 to 28,000,000 people, while these figures for Germany are 7,000,000 to 9,000,000.
All this given the fact that the Wehrmacht fought on multiple fronts, while "genius Stalin" did not spare his people.

You say "we" were you personally involved in World War Two?
Yes, I am Omar Bradley, now with an Internet connection here in heaven.
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=boris the animal;45687563]Are you a Russian or a communist? Or a Russian communist? Just say it.

I find it amusing to read statements about the real resistance beginning only on the territory of Russia. Belarus and Ukraine were practically entirely destroyed in the battles. It was really difficult for the Wehrmacht to pass through these countries. They were occupied only in mid 1942. It took them a whole year. Is that what you're calling "an easy stroll"?

Concerning the fact that the Germans were welcomed in Ukraine: thanks to Stalin, they were welcomed everywhere. Here are some pictures from Minsk http://collections.yadvashem.org/pho...-us/82192.html
As for Russia, they were even allowed to create their own autonomy there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lokot_Autonomy

How can we speak about any talents of Stalin as a tactitian and a military leader if the lossess of the USSR were far greater than those of Germany?
According to wikipedia, the USSR lost from 21,800,000 to 28,000,000 people, while these figures for Germany are 7,000,000 to 9,000,000.
All this given the fact that the Wehrmacht fought on multiple fronts, while "genius Stalin" did not spare his people.

I am neither, I just have a respect for historical facts. Until the Nazi's really hit Moscow the resistance may have been tough but it certainly could not stop them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.31%
I'm not sure (33)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.75%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (381)
49.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed