The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This is the thread suggested by Willa, where you can ask all your questions about open days and visits to Cambridge - how far it is to certain places, what to bring etc. I'll merge a couple of threads into this one and hopefully it can be used for all queries!
Reply 21
I can't go to the open day, so was hoping people might be able to post any important points that are made here? I'm particularly interested in philosophy at selwyn, but any information you get that you think is important would be great.

Edit: Wasn't this thread called open day questions lat night? Why is it now specific to Clare? :confused:
Reply 22
~Bex~

Edit: Wasn't this thread called open day questions lat night? Why is it now specific to Clare? :confused:

I don't know, I think I did it by accident :redface:
Reply 23
Ok lol, will let you off :tongue:
Reply 24
oo err i hope they didn't care. i was running around town in flip flops during the day. worst. blisters. ever. i ended up going barefoot.
Reply 25
Was just wondering if it is possible to use the sports facilities of colleges that are not your own e.g. another college's tennis courts??

Hope this makes sense - just checking before I chose which college to apply to :wink:
Can some one tell me which Colleges allow you to walk on all/most of the grass. I know Girton and Magdelene do, but are there any others as this information I can't find in the uni prospectus or alternative prospectus.

Also Can someone tell me which colleges require to eat in college ie charge you a fixed amount for the term even if you don't eat there.

cheers
James
Reply 27
at caius you have to buy 45 dinner tickets or something at the beginning of term, and you're not allowed to walk on any of the grass except the grass in one of the courts in the summer term between the hours of 2pm and 4pm or something insane like that...
Reply 28
from my experience, yes....although generally you have to be with a member of that college.

(helen, merge this in to the questions thread at the top)
Reply 29
At Sidney you're not allowed to walk on the two small front courts- Hall and Chapel- or the Master's Garden, but you are allowed on the grass in Cloister Court and Tennis Court and Fellows Gardens. As far as I'm aware that's all year round, not just in the summer.

As for eating, you pay a kitchen fixed charge (approx. £115), but it's totally up to you whether you eat in Hall or not; it's a pay as you go system that gets put on your uni card then added up and put on next term's college bill. So you could eat three meals a day in there, or not at all. There's no set number of formals you have to attend either.
Reply 30
You can walk on all the grass in Emmanuel, except the front court lawn.
Caius college is the only one I've heard of which makes you buy meal tickets (sort of "forcing" you to eat in hall). A lot of colleges have poor self-catering facilities though so it's usually quite difficult not to eat in hall, at least initially.

(helen, you should merge this in to the questions thread at the top)
Reply 31
thanks very much :smile:
Reply 32
You can walk on all the grass in Robinson, no exceptions, or so i've read, and the gardens are really nice.

Can i ask why that's so important to you?
"So, what made you choose Leeds for your Economics degree?"

"Well, I was given an EE offer for Sidney Sussex, but my god, do you know that they don't let you walk on the grass!? So I said keep your foul Cambridge place, and shacked up here."
Reply 34
Gravastar
"So, what made you choose Leeds for your Economics degree?"

"Well, I was given an EE offer for Sidney Sussex, but my god, do you know that they don't let you walk on the grass!? So I said keep your foul Cambridge place, and shacked up here."

Hehe, if you're dead set on walking on the grass, it has been known after Boat Club Dinners under cover of darkness (and alcohol induced confidence).....just don't get caught!
A quick search of the relevant Facebook community suggests Newnham, Homerton, Churchill and New Hall should be added to the list.

My understanding was that all colleges bar Caius had a KFC?
I believe that Peterhouse is the only other college apart from Caius to force you to eat in a certain amount. Almost all the rest will charge a termly kitchen fixed charge of between £50 and £150 whether you eat in or not, but you then pay for meals individually on top of that.
mrcheese
You can walk on all the grass in Robinson, no exceptions, or so i've read, and the gardens are really nice.

Can i ask why that's so important to you?

For two reasons,
One being that especially in the summer it would be nice to be able to work out in the open or just to relax. Whilst I realise most colleges, if not all have at least one area for undergraduates to sit on the grass, this isn't ideal, as it doesn't lend to being able to concentrate if half the college is on a piece of garden the size of most people's back garden. Also it would be nice to just be able to sit somewhere out of the way and relax and not be constantly saying hellos.

The other reasons, is that it is a sign of stuffiness. ie I've been around four colleges Robinson, Caius, Sidney and magdelene. Of which Caius were really stuffy about the grass and seem to be pretty stuffy all round. Robinson's garden was nice but the accomadation reminded me of glaswegian council estate, really dark and claustrophobic. Sideney was nice and let you go on some of the grass but not other and seemed a mid range sort of place, not exactly relaxed, but they didn't seem to be the fun police either. Magdelene I liked alot as you could go on all the grass and there is plenty of it and generally seemed to have the attitude of you can work as hard as you personally like within limits and we recognise different people have different aims and interests, some are determined for a first others would be happy with a 2:2 and be president of the JCR and three societies.

I hope thats sort of explained why i'm so interested.

Alos is there a girtonian on this forum at all
Reply 38
Hey, i can see your point, it's an interesting indicator if nothing else! :biggrin:

Maybe you should give the Robinson accomodation another chance? It was one of the main things that sold it to me, the rooms i saw were modern (so bland/utilitarian in that sense) but they were large, filled with light and very comfortable. And it has a reputation for being new, progressive and not bogged down by lots of traditions etc
Reply 39
Meat Loaf Rocks

One being that especially in the summer it would be nice to be able to work out in the open or just to relax. Whilst I realise most colleges, if not all have at least one area for undergraduates to sit on the grass, this isn't ideal, as it doesn't lend to being able to concentrate if half the college is on a piece of garden the size of most people's back garden. Also it would be nice to just be able to sit somewhere out of the way and relax and not be constantly saying hellos.

At Clare:
You're not allowed to on the grass in Old Court, but you are allowed on the grass in Memorial Court, Ashby Court, Thirkill Court, the fellows' and the scholars' gardens (which aren't exactly back garden sized). Also all the grass in the Colony you can go on, and there's a patio area with picnic tables and one of the shared houses also has its own 'private' garden (which is cool).

A.

Latest

Trending

Trending