AQA English Literature AS Help Watch

yasminzaracc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I started AQA English Lit in September and I really want to study it at A2 as well but I have no idea what Aspects of Narrative is all I know is that we read a different poem every lesson and we have to answer really focused questions. How is the exam structured for Summer 2014? Is there any hope for me? :/
games211
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by yasminzaracc)
I started AQA English Lit in September and I really want to study it at A2 as well but I have no idea what Aspects of Narrative is all I know is that we read a different poem every lesson and we have to answer really focused questions. How is the exam structured for Summer 2014? Is there any hope for me? :/
Hey I am doing that too completely stuck...
dooobie_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I dont really understand what the question is? You basically just analyse the poem you're gave in section one out of the choice of 4 texts you have studied and then the last question you need to relate to all 3 x

Posted from TSR Mobile
games211
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dooobie_)
I dont really understand what the question is? You basically just analyse the poem you're gave in section one out of the choice of 4 texts you have studied and then the last question you need to relate to all 3 x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it easy to get a b?
Reiss64
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by games211)
Is it easy to get a b?
Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
games211
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What books did you do?
Changing Skies
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, narrative is just a story. So the Aspects of Narrative paper is the features of the novel/poem.

In the exam, there is section A and section B. In section A, you choose ONE text to answer two 21 mark questions on.
The first question will always be something along the lines of "How does [insert name of writer] tell the story in chapter/part [insert chapter/part number] of [insert novel/poem]?

In this question, you could have paragraphs on the following:

-Form/structure
-Imagery
-Settings
-Narration
-Time and place
-Language

The second could be absolutely anything. What texts are you studying? I could give you example questions.

Section B is a question worth 42 marks. You have to answer on all of the texts you've studied but you can't answer on the one you answered on in section A. This is a comparison question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lyrical Prodigy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is it easy to get a b?
Bit misleading. It is not 'easy' to get a B, the most intelligent or the most knowledgeable students in my class got C's and D's. because people are often mislead by the fact that you 'only' need around 45 out 84 marks to get an A. Understanding what the question is asking you and actually answering it is essential.

I'm in Year 13 and I'm doing A2 AQA English Lit spec B as well.

To the thread starter, I do not really understand what you are trying to ask but this is a past paper from June 2012, all the exams will be structured like this: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...1-QP-JUN12.PDF

You have to answer two questions on one text in section A.
In section B, you choose one question and answer it using the other two texts you have studied, you are not allowed to use the text you used in section A for section B again.

Whichever text you use for whichever question is up to you.
yasminzaracc
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucy96)
Well, narrative is just a story. So the Aspects of Narrative paper is the features of the novel/poem.

In the exam, there is section A and section B. In section A, you choose ONE text to answer two 21 mark questions on.
The first question will always be something along the lines of "How does [insert name of writer] tell the story in chapter/part [insert chapter/part number] of [insert novel/poem]?

In this question, you could have paragraphs on the following:

-Form/structure
-Imagery
-Settings
-Narration
-Time and place
-Language

The second could be absolutely anything. What texts are you studying? I could give you example questions.

Section B is a question worth 42 marks. You have to answer on all of the texts you've studied but you can't answer on the one you answered on in section A. This is a comparison question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks- explained far better than my teacher!! xx
yasminzaracc
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
Bit misleading. It is not 'easy' to get a B, the most intelligent or the most knowledgeable students in my class got C's and D's. because people are often mislead by the fact that you 'only' need around 45 out 84 marks to get an A. Understanding what the question is asking you and actually answering it is essential.

I'm in Year 13 and I'm doing A2 AQA English Lit spec B as well.

To the thread starter, I do not really understand what you are trying to ask but this is a past paper from June 2012, all the exams will be structured like this: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...1-QP-JUN12.PDF

You have to answer two questions on one text in section A.
In section B, you choose one question and answer it using the other two texts you have studied, you are not allowed to use the text you used in section A for section B again.

Whichever text you use for whichever question is up to you.
Thanks for the past paper, I couldn't find it online What I meant to ask in the original thread was what English AS was actually about! I have no clue because we just read a different poem each lesson, and we are meant to read the road and apparently it's extremely depressing. What stuff do you do at A2 English Lit?
yasminzaracc
Rep:
?
Hey I am doing that too completely stuck...
Hey, what are you reading atm? I've just handed in my very final draft for A Midsummer Night's Dream Essay (TWE does the play end happily) x
games211
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, what are you reading atm? I've just handed in my very final draft for A Midsummer Night's Dream Essay (TWE does the play end happily) x
i haven't even started my coursework...
Changing Skies
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks- explained far better than my teacher!! xx
You're welcome!xx
Lyrical Prodigy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the past paper, I couldn't find it online What I meant to ask in the original thread was what English AS was actually about! I have no clue because we just read a different poem each lesson, and we are meant to read the road and apparently it's extremely depressing. What stuff do you do at A2 English Lit?
That's okay! And your welcome x The exam structure is very similar at A2, for the coursework side of things you have to do two essays, one comparative essay and one essay that's supposed to be on either feminism or Marxism using your own choice of books/ poems or whatever. You get to choose your own texts for the coursework part.

For the exam there are two topics:
Elements of the Pastoral (Which means you study texts about nature, religion, the environment and all that stuff)
and Elements of the Gothic (Which means you study Gothic stuff, bloody stuff, deathly stuff, destructive romance, depressing texts basically)

You don't decide which you want to do, your teacher does. And my teacher has chosen that we do Elements of the Gothic because it's better/easier to analyse.

The texts we are doing for Elements of the Gothic is Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Macbeth by Shakespeare and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

I'm glad to help, feel free to ask me as many questions as you like Hun xx
dooobie_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What books did you do?
I studied The Kite Runner, The Road, Tennyson and Browning. Most of my class got C's..

Posted from TSR Mobile
games211
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dooobie_)
I studied The Kite Runner, The Road, Tennyson and Browning. Most of my class got C's..

Posted from TSR Mobile
did you have any revision booklets as to how to complete section A i.e what does form,structure and language mean and how do you write about it?
How many points to add etc?
yasminzaracc
Rep:
?
did you have any revision booklets as to how to complete section A i.e what does form,structure and language mean and how do you write about it?
How many points to add etc?

Ohmygod my teacher showed and explained the exam paper to us today!! xx
yasminzaracc
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
That's okay! And your welcome x The exam structure is very similar at A2, for the coursework side of things you have to do two essays, one comparative essay and one essay that's supposed to be on either feminism or Marxism using your own choice of books/ poems or whatever. You get to choose your own texts for the coursework part.

For the exam there are two topics:
Elements of the Pastoral (Which means you study texts about nature, religion, the environment and all that stuff)
and Elements of the Gothic (Which means you study Gothic stuff, bloody stuff, deathly stuff, destructive romance, depressing texts basically)

You don't decide which you want to do, your teacher does. And my teacher has chosen that we do Elements of the Gothic because it's better/easier to analyse.

The texts we are doing for Elements of the Gothic is Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Macbeth by Shakespeare and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

I'm glad to help, feel free to ask me as many questions as you like Hun xx
Thanks so much!! -I've added you, is that ok? My teacher showed us past paper questions and I have to read the Road and DH Lawrence lucky me haha, looking forward to A2 though if we get to write about feminism! xx
Lyrical Prodigy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks so much!! -I've added you, is that ok? My teacher showed us past paper questions and I have to read the Road and DH Lawrence lucky me haha, looking forward to A2 though if we get to write about feminism! xx
Good book choices! You're the first person I've heard saying they are looking forward to writing about feminism lol! it's interesting at first but then it's gets so long and repetitive. Good luck with your studies! x
games211
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
are there any revision guides for English literature or Revision booklets pdf?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.21%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.72%
No, but I want to start (171)
35.77%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.43%
No, I chose not to (138)
28.87%