The Student Room Group

Wisdom tooth really painful - is this normal?

I've had a wisdom tooth coming through for about 7 months and up until now it's been fine with just a little bit of discomfort, but last night it erupted in pain; the gum around it has become very swollen, it hurts to swallow or chew and I can barely open my mouth. Is this normal wisdom tooth pain, or does it sound more serious? Should I see a dentist/doctor? I've tried ibuprofen and paracetamol with codeine but neither have really helped :frown:
Original post by JuiceboxPhantom
I've had a wisdom tooth coming through for about 7 months and up until now it's been fine with just a little bit of discomfort, but last night it erupted in pain; the gum around it has become very swollen, it hurts to swallow or chew and I can barely open my mouth. Is this normal wisdom tooth pain, or does it sound more serious? Should I see a dentist/doctor? I've tried ibuprofen and paracetamol with codeine but neither have really helped :frown:

Yes go to your dentist! I have had this problem before (few months ago) it turns out I had a gum infection so they gave me some antibiotics, it got better, happened again and I ended up having the wisdom tooth out! Now I have the problem on the other side, so I'm going to the dentist again to hopefully get the antibiotics (don't fancy having another tooth out!) hope this helps!
oh and tell your dentist it's an emergency appointment, so you can get it sooner!!
Original post by WhiteRose100
Yes go to your dentist! I have had this problem before (few months ago) it turns out I had a gum infection so they gave me some antibiotics, it got better, happened again and I ended up having the wisdom tooth out! Now I have the problem on the other side, so I'm going to the dentist again to hopefully get the antibiotics (don't fancy having another tooth out!) hope this helps!
oh and tell your dentist it's an emergency appointment, so you can get it sooner!!

Oh gosh, that sounds awful! I'll definitely ring in the morning and try and get an emergency appointment then, thanks for the advice and I hope you feel better!
Reply 3
I agree with going to the dentist.

I have experienced the severe pain and couldn't open my mouth fully. But none of the other problems you've mentioned. The pain I had went down after a few hours or so.
Reply 4
My wisdom tooth suddenly came through after I drunk some strange beer at the school prom :lolwut:
I had no signs that it would burst through; it just suddenly did - but it didn't hurt at all :no:
Reply 5
Also, how awkward is it that I have uneven number of teeth now??! :cry2:
I have this....having all 4 removed in Jan :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by SoftPunch
My wisdom tooth suddenly came through after I drunk some strange beer at the school prom :lolwut:
I had no signs that it would burst through; it just suddenly did - but it didn't hurt at all :no:

:lol:

I had a lot of pain when mine started to come through. :frown: One of them is growing a bit funny and I keep getting food stuck in it.

Is anyone else find there's a severe lack of room for the teeth to go?
Reply 8
Original post by OU Student
:lol:

I had a lot of pain when mine started to come through. :frown: One of them is growing a bit funny and I keep getting food stuck in it.

Is anyone else find there's a severe lack of room for the teeth to go?

I swear they added something to that bear - but nope, no pain - just one wisdom tooth came out - on my right side of the lower jaw, but I had the problem with food getting stuck as well :cry:
Reply 9
Not sure if I had this or not, there seems to be a small gap in my gum behind my 2nd molar on the bottom left but i can't see well enough in the mirror to see if it's a wisdom tooth trying to surface. I had a very mild pain when i moved my jaw on the left deliberately but that was it. It's disappeared now though so no idea whether it was my wisdom tooth or not. I doubt it was an abscess because the molar in the surrounding area is perfectly fine. I'm 18 too I hear they start coming out around 18-22 or something.
Original post by Ruffiio
Not sure if I had this or not, there seems to be a small gap in my gum behind my 2nd molar on the bottom left but i can't see well enough in the mirror to see if it's a wisdom tooth trying to surface. I had a very mild pain when i moved my jaw on the left deliberately but that was it. It's disappeared now though so no idea whether it was my wisdom tooth or not. I doubt it was an abscess because the molar in the surrounding area is perfectly fine. I'm 18 too I hear they start coming out around 18-22 or something.

I found I had some (it wasn't that bad) pain before I could feel anything there.
Original post by JuiceboxPhantom

I had this recently haha. It's worth going to the dentist just to get them to check it (I had an x-ray of them done a while back so I assumed there should be no immediate problems otherwise they would have said something then), as it can get infected and whatnot, and to be honest is worth it for the peace of mind.

However what I was told (combination of doctor and dentist), and it helped (I had crazy pain for over a week, and this all helped and it has subsided for now): Take two paracetamol with two ibuprofen every four hours to ease the pain, and also use Corsodyl mouthwash as it's an anti-inflammatory one (not as a permanent change from your normal mouthwash, just while the wisdom tooth pain is about). I used bonjella aswell on the gum and around the surrounding area of my mouth and that also helped a lot! Also they emphasised the importance of flossing around that tooth as because of the gum more food can get stuck there.

If it's been persisting for over a week, definitely go and see your dentist though as a precaution. As I said, this is what I did, and they basically gave me the above advice, and said if all that didn't work in the next week, to go back as they may have to look at doing something about it.

Hope this helps and good luck - it's definitely no fun when your wisdom teeth come through. ):
Original post by ehiamour
I have this....having all 4 removed in Jan :frown:

I got mine removed a few months ago. I'm not gonna lie, the pain afterwards was pretty ****ing intense but it only lasted about 10days whereas the pain of them coming through lasted me months.

Don't worry about it, you get to eat ice cream! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest