Disadvantaged taking A2 maths in y12? Watch

Johnpeters
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ive taken c1 in Year 11 and am taking 5 modules at the end of year 12. ive heard that Unis won't count this grade and will offer based on 3 other A2s, is this true? even if i get an a* in maths. I'm hoping to apply for economics at a*aa unis like LSE, Warwick etc. I will also be taking further maths in year 13 (a2 most probably)
Super199
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Johnpeters)
Ive taken c1 in Year 11 and am taking 5 modules at the end of year 12. ive heard that Unis won't count this grade and will offer based on 3 other A2s, is this true? even if i get an a* in maths. I'm hoping to apply for economics at a*aa unis like LSE, Warwick etc. I will also be taking further maths in year 13 (a2 most probably)
Why won't they count the grade? I know someone who did C1,C2 and FP1 in year 11 and is doing the rest in year 12/13. Im doing C1,C2 and S1 in year 11, I don't see the problem? As long as you finish your A2 in two years it should be ok?
Phredd
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did AS and A2 Maths in y12 and then AS and A2 Further Maths in y13, and when it came to applying to university every offer i got included the grade I got a year early. The only exception I have heard is Oxbridge, where they generally tend to want the 3 grades of your offer in your A2 year.
tmorrall
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most unis will take it as one grade in your offer if its in a required subject but if its not then they will look at the grades of the three subject you do in the two years at A level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LSE will accept early A* maths in Y12, but make sure you get the A* otherwise you have no chance of getting accepted. The offer will be AAE (E in FM).

I assume Warwick will do the same.

The only exception is Cambridge (not sure about Oxford). You'll be offered A*A*AA, but one A* is already achieved presumably.This shouldn't be a problem. If you're good enough to be offered a place by Cambridge then most go on to achieve 3-4 A*s.
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad.../academic.html
Last Theorem
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I believe at most unis except Cambridge/ Oxford it is included in the offer, whereas at Oxbridge I believe they argue that they want your offer to be completed at one time in order to show you can cope with that kind of workload. If you're applying to LSE or Warwick it should be included, though remember not all offers are identical and your applying in a years time so take everything people are saying here as more of a rough guide until you actually come to applying next year.
talentedlobster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not sure how your school works, but at mine the A2's are not cashed in until Yr 13 to get around that problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads