How do you know what exam guide/ revision guide to choose? Watch

kireland718
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I want to get revision guides for my subjects: English and maths (obviously) R.S, Physics, French, History, Geography and Moving image. I don't understand all the terms like CGP & AQA etc so I'm not sure what guides to choose, I think my exam board is CCEA (in NI) but I'm not sure.
ChoccyMelody
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
AQA is an exam board and they also produce revision/ study guides.

Your best option is to go into your local bookshop and see which ones you like best since everyone learns differently (some likes colour etc.)

English Lit: York Notes (which is a series of revision guides) Englishbiz, SparkNotes (both websites) + practice and learning some quotes

Maths: Practice and past papers, don't really need revision guides. Use my maths (a website) if your school subscribes to it, youtube videos, Examsolutions (website)

RS: Again, revision guide not really needed. Get the CGP guides (a series of revision guides) if you must or one specific to your exam board

French: The CGP French revision guide may help

For the rest, I would just get an official exam board one since I don't think CGP do them for CCEA and they're quite different depending on the exam boards.

You can get these revision guides on Amazon.
jeamaehus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would go onto Amazon and search for 'your subject' followed by 'your exam board'. Your exam board may vary between different subjects - check with your teacher. It is important to get the revision books approved by the exam board or suggested for the exam board otherwise you will most definitely find things in there that are never going to come up on your exam!

Also ask your teachers to recommend revision guides. Often they can get them into school and sell them on to you cheaper than you will find else where.

By the way - AQA is an exam board, CGP is a book publisher.

Good luck with your GCSEs. If you need any help with French please let me know, I got an A at GCSE and I'm now doing it at A level.
Frannoooooooo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kireland718)
I want to get revision guides for my subjects: English and maths (obviously) R.S, Physics, French, History, Geography and Moving image. I don't understand all the terms like CGP & AQA etc so I'm not sure what guides to choose, I think my exam board is CCEA (in NI) but I'm not sure.
AQA is the exam board, CGP is the publishing company who makes revision guides/books.

As ChoccyMelody has said, each revision guide presents the information differently and its really which one works best for you. I personally don't like CGP because of all the colours/sections etc, I prefer simply plain rigid text. This however is just my preference and what I like shouldn't have any influence on what you buy. There isn't really the BEST guide for each of your subjects, only ones you personally prefer. Shop around and try a few out to get a feel for each of the guides available.

This is what I would recommend (Remember these might not necessarily be the best options for you):

English - Collins Revision guides/York notes. You can also find a lot of information online about pieces of literature you're studying. Past papers and questions. BBC Bitesize has general info on pieces of literature. Englishbiz, S-cool.

Maths - As long as you understand the methods and concepts etc then all the revision you need is working through past papers.

RS - CGP, AQA RS by Anne jordan.

French - CGP guide, example essays online, vocabulary list on exam board website (depends on exam board),bitesize can be relatively useful for basic stuff,s-cool.co.uk

Physics - Bitesize is what I prefer to use for this subject, also the CGP are useful you can get a workbook with the revision guide, my revision notes by phillip allan.

Don't take History or georgraphy so can't really say much about them, I'm sure there's a lot of good revision guides out there. I presume much of the information can be found through Google as well.

Good luck!
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ChoccyMelody)
AQA is an exam board and they also produce revision/ study guides.

Your best option is to go into your local bookshop and see which ones you like best since everyone learns differently (some likes colour etc.)

English Lit: York Notes (which is a series of revision guides) Englishbiz, SparkNotes (both websites) + practice and learning some quotes

Maths: Practice and past papers, don't really need revision guides. Use my maths (a website) if your school subscribes to it, youtube videos, Examsolutions (website)

RS: Again, revision guide not really needed. Get the CGP guides (a series of revision guides) if you must or one specific to your exam board

French: The CGP French revision guide may help

For the rest, I would just get an official exam board one since I don't think CGP do them for CCEA and they're quite different depending on the exam boards.

You can get these revision guides on Amazon.
This, really. I'd add a couple of YouTube channels: MrBruff for English Lit and Maths247 for Maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (159)
66.81%
No (79)
33.19%

Watched Threads