The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Dragonborn
Because kids *before* the age of 16 are often (not all) immature brats, who will take the opportunity to bully, fight, etc. anything they can get their hands on - this includes kids who don't wear certain kinds of fashionable clothing, whatever the reasons for it.

up until I was about 13 I didn't give a damn about what I wore and nobody else I knew did. and whether kids are immature brats or not isn't going to depend on something like clothes - what about their faces? what about their abilities? what about their hair? etc - should we get them all to wear masks and get them to have one haircut because it'll stop discrimination? of course not, so why should we even go so far as uniforms?
Reply 41
Hell no! I actually miss the uniform now that I am in Year 13. It makes ones life 100x easier when there isn't a range of clothes that you can choose to wear. It's a good way to feel a part of a community and makes you look proper and smart!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it shouldn't and there are many reasons why.
Original post by BlossomS
Hell no! I actually miss the uniform now that I am in Year 13. It makes ones life 100x easier when there isn't a range of clothes that you can choose to wear. It's a good way to feel a part of a community and makes you look proper and smart!

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) so your preference takes precedence over the preference of everybody else? you and your friends can all choose to wear one thing in a school without a uniform policy, whereas in your vision nobody has any choice like that whatsoever
2) it made life easier because they gave you less freedoms and opinions? does that mean it'll make you happy for the government to ban more of the things you might enjoy on the basis that it makes us all the same as makes things "easier"?
3) schools aren't communities - they are areas of aggregations of different kinds of people who are ultimately separate. do you think the chavs are a community with the goths for example? funny how a uniform doesn't stop people being those sort of things...
4) depends - my uniforms at my old school were brown and yellow. walking around in diarrhoea-coloured clothes isn't exactly what I'd call smart. besides, we'd all wear our uniforms liberally anyway so there goes the whole notion of smartness when nobody is desiring to dress smartly
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheLoveDoctor
are you, too, seeing the irony that you're saying that no uniforms cause bullying but then you're saying "we should get girls to wear x because the other option for them is ugly looking"? isn't that sort of harsh against the girls that do want to wear the skirts? at least bullies can't physically force people to wear certain things in this case lol

You'll get bullying whether wear uniform or no uniform thats life, wearing a uniform helps to combat bullying as takes away ammo from the bullies because they can't bully about wearing same clothes for few days or certain tops wearing or trainers etc so if everyone wearing the same uniform it cuts all that out.

At no point did I say girls should wear x because it would make them look ugly. If your refering to the girls should wear skirts not trousers because it is more manly then that has nothing to do with their looks as ugly or attractive etc, girls shouldn't wear trousers I live in skirts and dresses all the time but will wear jeans on the odd occasion but I have been brought up that girls wear skirts and men wear trousers unless your from scotland where is the other way round.

Lol you say bullies can't physically force people to wear certain things if you know your going to get bullied for not wearing certain trainers or certain brands of clothes then your going to try and get said items and brands which is a bully basically force them to get them
Original post by scorpion95
You'll get bullying whether wear uniform or no uniform thats life, wearing a uniform helps to combat bullying as takes away ammo from the bullies because they can't bully about wearing same clothes for few days or certain tops wearing or trainers etc so if everyone wearing the same uniform it cuts all that out.

At no point did I say girls should wear x because it would make them look ugly. If your refering to the girls should wear skirts not trousers because it is more manly then that has nothing to do with their looks as ugly or attractive etc, girls shouldn't wear trousers I live in skirts and dresses all the time but will wear jeans on the odd occasion but I have been brought up that girls wear skirts and men wear trousers unless your from scotland where is the other way round.

Lol you say bullies can't physically force people to wear certain things if you know your going to get bullied for not wearing certain trainers or certain brands of clothes then your going to try and get said items and brands which is a bully basically force them to get them

1) so you're putting yourself into the role of a nanny? on the kid's permission? exactly how many kids do you think will agree with you here that they should be made to wear uniforms? from what I remember, not uniform days were like a school party
2) you essentially were saying that though, you were saying "I think girls should wear skirts because I think girls in trousers look bad"
3) so you're saying you have the liberty to wear trousers but not other girls especially girls who happen to be students in a school?
4) so it's justified on the basis that you were brought up with that idea? so if I was brought up to wear nothing at all that means we should have a naked-ness rule because my judgement is superior to children's? (note: don't take that idea too strongly, I'm simply giving you an example)
5) lol if bullies can literally force kids to wear things then they're breaking the law - government hates competition in the department of making people wear things in schools, they won't like that very much
I think that school uniforms should stay. However, I hate my school blazer. It's so horrible and uncomfortable (as well as expensive). :frown:
Reply 47
Being in my final year of sixth form, I really miss wearing uniform: you don't need to spend ages looking for what to wear thus being late for school (I've had a late detention as a result of this :tongue:) At least you won't see any kids looking like sluts (apart from own-clothes day smh)
Reply 48
1) so your preference takes precedence over the preference of everybody else? you and your friends can all choose to wear one thing in a school without a uniform policy, whereas in your vision nobody has any choice like that whatsoever
2) it made life easier because they gave you less freedoms and opinions? does that mean it'll make you happy for the government to ban more of the things you might enjoy on the basis that it makes us all the same as makes things "easier"?
3) schools aren't communities - they are areas of aggregations of different kinds of people who are ultimately separate. do you think the chavs are a community with the goths for example? funny how a uniform doesn't stop people being those sort of things...
4) depends - my uniforms at my old school were brown and yellow. walking around in diarrhoea-coloured clothes isn't exactly what I'd call smart. besides, we'd all wear our uniforms liberally anyway so there goes the whole notion of smartness when nobody is desiring to dress smartly

1) I actually hadn't said anything of the sort. Why would my preference take precedence? If majority are against it then uniforms shouldn't be scrapped, if they aren't then they should. I am just saying that it is a symbolic representation of a community which, in my opinion, is quite nice.
2) If things make life easier, why wouldn't I be happy to acknowledge it? There are many other ways to express my opinions and no one has exactly snatched my independance or my freedom. It is simply an outer appearance which changes not what is in our heads.
3) Uh, ok. In my dictionary, school is a community. We're all doing the same things and working together, yes, there are cliques but like you have just said, a uniform doesn't stop anyone being who they are. If we didn't mold together and function as a community, the system would not run as smoothly as it does.
4) Ouch. Well, mine was royal blue and yellow. PE kit? Royal blue trousers and bright yellow t shirts. Yes, not very nice. But we had it changed to the colours which we preferred, as a whole school. So really, it's a collective decision. You're right, there really isn't a desire by anyone at that age to dress smart, but like I was saying, I miss it. The same colours and the combination of blazer and smart trousers is smart - regardless of whether the ties are worn loose or the laces are multicoloured.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) so you're putting yourself into the role of a nanny? on the kid's permission? exactly how many kids do you think will agree with you here that they should be made to wear uniforms? from what I remember, not uniform days were like a school party
2) you essentially were saying that though, you were saying "I think girls should wear skirts because I think girls in trousers look bad"
3) so you're saying you have the liberty to wear trousers but not other girls especially girls who happen to be students in a school?
4) so it's justified on the basis that you were brought up with that idea? so if I was brought up to wear nothing at all that means we should have a naked-ness rule because my judgement is superior to children's? (note: don't take that idea too strongly, I'm simply giving you an example)
5) lol if bullies can literally force kids to wear things then they're breaking the law - government hates competition in the department of making people wear things in schools, they won't like that very much

1) you shot yourself in the foot by saying none uniform days were like a school party if no uniform how much do you think kids would learn as they would consider everyday a party

2) no i was not essentially saying that girls look bad in trousers, girls look better in skirts than trousers, skirts are more appropriate

3) I have no more of a liberty than any other girl, for school trousers shouldn't be allowed for girls, is up to girls outside of school hours to wear trousers but they should be wearing something else

4) by brought up I meant brought up by family and also by society on that idea, it is just like being pc I was brought up when there was no pc bs so i'm not pc at all, If you want to be naked around kids that is your choice and I don't frankly want to know about what your hobbies are thanks.

5) naked ness is another topic

6) well think about it, what do you wear clothes wise - designer? asda's george? if is the designer then again you have shot yourself in the foot as you are being bullied into wearing that designer clothes because you want to fit in with the latest trends because otherwise you would wear something totally unfasionable all the time
I think that wearing a school uniform is far better than having to choose every morning what to wear (believe me, I know how time-consuming it is... Not only because I'm a girl, but because everyone wants to look good and stylish in front of others). :colonhash: As someone said before, school shouldn't be a 'fashion parade', but rather a place to study. :smile:

(I live in France and pupils here don't wear school uniforms.)
No, it should never be scrapped! Never!
Reply 52
No because i'm pretty sure every post will have touched on this, it portrays class and wealth divisions which spark other problems.
1) you shot yourself in the foot by saying none uniform days were like a school party if no uniform how much do you think kids would learn as they would consider everyday a party

2) no i was not essentially saying that girls look bad in trousers, girls look better in skirts than trousers, skirts are more appropriate

3) I have no more of a liberty than any other girl, for school trousers shouldn't be allowed for girls, is up to girls outside of school hours to wear trousers but they should be wearing something else

4) by brought up I meant brought up by family and also by society on that idea, it is just like being pc I was brought up when there was no pc bs so i'm not pc at all, If you want to be naked around kids that is your choice and I don't frankly want to know about what your hobbies are thanks.

5) naked ness is another topic

6) well think about it, what do you wear clothes wise - designer? asda's george? if is the designer then again you have shot yourself in the foot as you are being bullied into wearing that designer clothes because you want to fit in with the latest trends because otherwise you would wear something totally unfasionable all the time

1) no I said that on the basis that it was that much of an excitement that kids weren't being dictated to - if they took it for granted like adults do then they wouldn't react like that - surely that's obvious? if I took away all of your food for a week and then I took it back you'd have a similar dramatic reaction?
2) that's your opinion then, isn't it, not a matter of objective public policy that everybody is made to accept
3) why only after school hours? what changes after school hours in terms of one's clothing other than a government policy?
4) lol I knew you'd react like that even though I expressly stated that it was a comparison, this only goes to show that you have no intelligent arguments and you then must resort to childish insults
5) you what?
6) I don't quite understand your bad wording of that but if you're saying that I'm being physically forced to wear the latest designer clothes on the grounds that I desire to wear them, then seriously that's nonsense, in school you're told by law to wear something on the threat of being punished, whereas if you get bullied, you don't get punished at all, and if you did get bullied then that's your own fault if you were stupid clothes - personal responsibility for one's own choices is important in schools as it is anywhere else e.g. in schools if you don't take responsibility you get poor grades so in this case if you don't do what's rational in terms of clothes you might make less friends etc but that's a student's prerogative and not the school's business.
Reply 54
To be honest I love uniform. I'd hate to face the problem of what to wear everyyy day of the year. People would quickly find out how much I recycle the same jeans/tops :erm:. But I'm assuming in non-uniform schools no one really cares what you wear anyway because it's not the same as your one off own clothes day in uniform schools (which is treated as a fashion parade)
Original post by BlossomS
1) I actually hadn't said anything of the sort. Why would my preference take precedence? If majority are against it then uniforms shouldn't be scrapped, if they aren't then they should. I am just saying that it is a symbolic representation of a community which, in my opinion, is quite nice.
2) If things make life easier, why wouldn't I be happy to acknowledge it? There are many other ways to express my opinions and no one has exactly snatched my independance or my freedom. It is simply an outer appearance which changes not what is in our heads.
3) Uh, ok. In my dictionary, school is a community. We're all doing the same things and working together, yes, there are cliques but like you have just said, a uniform doesn't stop anyone being who they are. If we didn't mold together and function as a community, the system would not run as smoothly as it does.
4) Ouch. Well, mine was royal blue and yellow. PE kit? Royal blue trousers and bright yellow t shirts. Yes, not very nice. But we had it changed to the colours which we preferred, as a whole school. So really, it's a collective decision. You're right, there really isn't a desire by anyone at that age to dress smart, but like I was saying, I miss it. The same colours and the combination of blazer and smart trousers is smart - regardless of whether the ties are worn loose or the laces are multicoloured.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) yes you are if you're saying "I like school uniforms therefore everybody should be forced to wear them because I like them" - what else does that sound like? if I thought school clothes were good, I'd simply wear them and not force everybody to conform with my subjective beliefs
2) the fact that there are other outlets to express yourself doesn't negate the fact that what you're seeing as a virtue here (free will) is being taken away so you're not being consistent 3)
3) then you'd be interpreting the term community very strictly and not realistically - community denotes that there is something in common, but if everybody is so different to one another and they all have different ideas and skills then that ideas is undermined a lot - if all you need to create a community is people doing things that other people are doing then anything can become a community and it loses its value
4) why should clothes be a collective decision? more so, why should the clothes of people who aren't those voting be the collective decision of such people? if a majority is just on the basis of popularity then surely if a majority of children prefer no school uniforms then their opinion is just too? surely if it is they who are forced to attend these schools then it should be their choice? I appreciate the fact that children don't vote, I'm saying that the people in the case here who are voting as a collective aren't affected by it, it's almost like the logic of people who disagree with gay marriage - how does the clothing of another individual matter to them when it directly causes no issues to their own lives?
1) no I said that on the basis that it was that much of an excitement that kids weren't being dictated to - if they took it for granted like adults do then they wouldn't react like that - surely that's obvious? if I took away all of your food for a week and then I took it back you'd have a similar dramatic reaction?
2) that's your opinion then, isn't it, not a matter of objective public policy that everybody is made to accept
3) why only after school hours? what changes after school hours in terms of one's clothing other than a government policy?
4) lol I knew you'd react like that even though I expressly stated that it was a comparison, this only goes to show that you have no intelligent arguments and you then must resort to childish insults
5) you what?
6) I don't quite understand your bad wording of that but if you're saying that I'm being physically forced to wear the latest designer clothes on the grounds that I desire to wear them, then seriously that's nonsense, in school you're told by law to wear something on the threat of being punished, whereas if you get bullied, you don't get punished at all, and if you did get bullied then that's your own fault if you were stupid clothes - personal responsibility for one's own choices is important in schools as it is anywhere else e.g. in schools if you don't take responsibility you get poor grades so in this case if you don't do what's rational in terms of clothes you might make less friends etc but that's a student's prerogative and not the school's business.

1) I don't recall you using the term on the basis in your previous statement, as you have said "I don't quite understand your bad wording" I shall use that for trying to make a connection between taking food away and kids excitement for wearing their own clothes to school

2) Society thinks skirts are more appropriate deal with it

3) Well do you think that there shouldn't be any uniforms in a work place, and no one should wear suits? as basically it is the same principle, school is a place to learn and wearing a school uniform gives the majority of kids pride to look smart and be associated with a certain school. On your basis to kids should be able to wear what ever they like for sports like football etc.

4) lol I was joking with that comment, jesus you need to lighten up and take that stick from out your backside

5) what do you mean "you what?"

6) wake up you said you "desire" designer clothes, why because they are fashionable, why because certain people say they are fashionable which makes you therefore desire them and want to wear them, why because they want to make money so you are being forced to wear the designer clothes you do, is the same thing if your not wearing your fashionable clothes you'll get "bullied"

lol you do just keep shooting yourself in the foot you should really read what you write before you post it as you say "whereas if you get bullied, you don't get punished at all" from my understanding if you get bullied for wearing certain clothes which aren't designer etc then you are getting punished because you are getting bullied

lol "get bullied then that's your own fault if you were stupid clothes " first you have a spelling mistake obviously you know what your talking about "in schools if you don't take responsibility you get poor grades", secondly your missing the really obvious thing of finance, how much is the kid going to cost the parent to get designer clothes to fit in at school compared to the cost of a school uniform, constantly keeping up with the fashion will cost parents a hell of a lot more money to do than just to have the kids wear a uniform throughout school years, so the kids from poorer families will therefore be bullied more, so they will suffer more than they currently do. The school uniform puts everyone on a level playing field so to speak as it is harder to tell who is poor and who is rich as everyone is wearing the same clothes

also another point on your statement "that's your own fault if you were stupid clothes" where you have shot yourself in the foot yet again, you have expressed your opinion that I have stated that I have dictated what girls should wear and blah blah blah about whats difference between school hours and none school hours etc etc, yet your statement above shows that you consider people who don't have designer clothes and clothes which aren't fashionable as being "stupid" which quite frankly shows that you must be one of the bullies and have no intelligence
how else am i going to wear a blazer without looking like a ****er, blazers ftw
Some kids do make a mockery of the school uniform though, uniform rules should be more strictly enforced.
1)

2) Society thinks skirts are more appropriate deal with it

Are you.... are you from the 1950's?

Latest

Trending

Trending