Futon: Japanese sleeping mattress

Watch
Maths and cheesecake
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Does anyone know how much it cost and where I can get one.

I was recommended by someone, apparently it is healthy for your joints to sleep on a flat surface that provides more support.
Anonymous #1
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Maths and cheesecake)

I was recommended by someone, apparently it is healthy for your joints to sleep on a flat surface that provides more support.
Well you see them in furniture shops with sofas, so wherever your nearest furniture shop is. Take a look! And I expect they'd be in the region of £100 to £500 depending on quality but don't really know.
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hm, I had one and it wasn't actually that comfortable at all (I then got a memory foam mattress and would NEVER go back). You should be able to get them from any furniture store, but I would suggest having a proper lie down (not just five minutes) in different positions like you would at night before you make the decision.
Maths and cheesecake
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ice_Queen)
Hm, I had one and it wasn't actually that comfortable at all (I then got a memory foam mattress and would NEVER go back). You should be able to get them from any furniture store, but I would suggest having a proper lie down (not just five minutes) in different positions like you would at night before you make the decision.
I prefer a slightly hard consistent sleeping surface than the common mattresses, that is why I like the Futon, but also I can sleep on it, then roll it up and hide it so I have more space in my bedroom, I can also take it with me to places.

I stay at my brothers flat for a while, and he had a futon I used to sleep on, had some of the best nights sleeping on that futon, and my back felt really good, It would not take me long to fall asleep and I never changed sleeping position.
Maths and cheesecake
Rep:
?
I saw one in tesco for £75, //i just dnt know if its good quality.
LolaLowe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had a futon for a while, it was tiptop quality, an expensive one. Actually I didnt find it that comfortable to sleep on, although it was excellent for some...erm....bedroom stuff.
Maths and cheesecake
Rep:
?
(Original post by LolaLowe)
I had a futon for a while, it was tiptop quality, an expensive one. Actually I didnt find it that comfortable to sleep on, although it was excellent for some...erm....bedroom stuff.
Hmm bedroom stuff, love the advice, thanks.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/ca...ng_room/10663/

There are many choices of it available at IKEA. The IKEA PS range is fairly good.

Another thing to note, a futon is more suitable for temporary usage as continuous and frequent usage of one can lead to back and neck issues.

If you must get a futon due to space constraints at home then look for one where the mattress is firm rather than soft and replace it after 2-3 years or if it is no longer firm.
Maths and cheesecake
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alfissti)
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/ca...ng_room/10663/

There are many choices of it available at IKEA. The IKEA PS range is fairly good.

Another thing to note, a futon is more suitable for temporary usage as continuous and frequent usage of one can lead to back and neck issues.

If you must get a futon due to space constraints at home then look for one where the mattress is firm rather than soft and replace it after 2-3 years or if it is no longer firm.
I want to use it instead of a bed, don't mind changing it after a several years, but I need one for frequent use, so what properties should I be looking for, so far the only thing I look for is whether it is 100% cotton, also the firm aspects you have just mentioned. I have no idea what to look for and will probably get ripped off.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I want to use it instead of a bed, don't mind changing it after a several years, but I need one for frequent use, so what properties should I be looking for, so far the only thing I look for is whether it is 100% cotton, also the firm aspects you have just mentioned. I have no idea what to look for and will probably get ripped off.
If it is to be used daily then ideally you should get one that is made from polyurethane foam, you could get cotton (or any material coverings for it) if you buy one that is cotton stuffed then though cheaper you'd be needing to replace it within 6 months. It is rare to find one that is fully cotton stuffed anyway.

As a guide the density of the foam should be at least 28kg per cubic meter, those that are fairly firm would be closer to 33-35kg/cu.m
Maths and cheesecake
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alfissti)
If it is to be used daily then ideally you should get one that is made from polyurethane foam, you could get cotton (or any material coverings for it) if you buy one that is cotton stuffed then though cheaper you'd be needing to replace it within 6 months. It is rare to find one that is fully cotton stuffed anyway.

As a guide the density of the foam should be at least 28kg per cubic meter, those that are fairly firm would be closer to 33-35kg/cu.m
why do I need to replace it, can't I just air it out during the summer ?

the pure cotton is very compact and easy to store.

I just can't find one that is pure cotton, the closest I got is one that is pure cotton covering.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
why do I need to replace it, can't I just air it out during the summer ?

the pure cotton is very compact and easy to store.

I just can't find one that is pure cotton, the closest I got is one that is pure cotton covering.
Replacement will be needed because it would be akin to sleeping on a piece of bread, after a while it would simply be flattened and won't provide any back support.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (340)
55.74%
I don't have everything I need (270)
44.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed