Psychology/Sociology Essay Structure

Watch this thread
LucidMinds
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello everyone,

I'm currently studying Psychology & Sociology at AS level. I need to practice my essay structure because I'm not quite accustomed to how I should be writing to achieve both A01/A02 marks on the papers.

I was wondering if anyone had any websites that are good for practicing essay structure or just generally informative on how to structure an essay. For example comparing/contrasting, evaluative and any other types you feel may be of use to me for my exams.

Appreciate it greatly,

Josh.
Nirgilis
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Moved to the psychology forum where you might get more answers
chloeintheskies
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm at A2 psychology now (I got a B at AS, hoping for an A at A2), and although I don't consider myself to be a professional I tend to follow these general principles, to an extent. You can really put any information as AO1 or as AO2, but it depends on how you apply it.

AO1: Informative Information, so for example 'Holmes and Rahe created the created the Stress Readjustment Rating Scale. which is a list of stressful life events etc...'

AO2: I always make sure to really emphasise what is AO2 and what isn't. Without fail I always start with 'Supporting Research comes from... However...' etc because it is an evaluation of the point.
(e.g. you could talk about Life Events in general, then 'Supporting Research comes from Holmes and Rahe who created the SRRS etc...).
In a real essay I probably wouldn't class Holmes & Rahe as 'supporting evidence' (i'd use it as AO1) but you get the idea

Also if you evaluate a study for AO2 in particular make sure you really go into depth so that you can reach the higher grade boundaries (I generally try to follow the 3 point rule)
For example: The study lacks eco-validity because it was completed in a laboratory = few marks.
The study lacks ecological validity because it was completed in a laboratory. Due to the artificial nature of the study it lacks mundane realism and so cannot be applied to real life situations, as it is not a true representation of how a person may act in an everyday setting. = higher marks

Since at AS the marks are split 50/50 you should aim for an equal amount of detail for AO1 and AO2.
Hope this helps - If you need any more help let me know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (30)
28.3%
Take a gap year (16)
15.09%
Resit my exams (29)
27.36%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (15)
14.15%
I don't know yet (11)
10.38%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.72%

Watched Threads