Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OBScene)
    Bikes don't have the acceleration of a car. Even if the traffic is slow, when it stops then starts you're going to impede the flow of traffic.
    Funny you should say that. When ever i have been in a traffic light with cars, i seem to get away much faster then the car. Cars are big and heavy, aslong as we are not talking about high performance sports cars, it is possible to acclerate much faster on a bike then in a car.

I am already up to crusing speed before the car overtakes me.

ReputationRep:
    It is so funny to see road rage on the web
    As I drive daily, I have established 2 types of cyclists:

1) ignorant a***holes (75%):
    - they genuinely believe every motorist CAN see them at anytime and have a responsibility to give them way in any case;
    - tend to cycle at speeds of about 10-15mph. What is the point? It does not do too much good to your health and does not save you time as well!
    - road signs/marks, traffic lights, indication rules do not apply;
    2) fair cyclists (25%):
    - you can see them, they always make themselves visible somehow;
    - cycle at speeds of 20-25mph, thus even if it is neccesarry for them to be in the middle of the road it is not so painful to others
    - they STOP at traffic lights! I tend to think these people are very likley to be car drivers themsleves

Speaking from exp, I had couple of near misses, always including category 1 cyclists. The most recent one happend in Central London as I stopped at junction because of the traffic lights. In front the left hand lane was blocked by a lorry. At one point some "%^£ pulled up quitely to my NS blindspot and stood there! When lights changed I started to accelerate and so did the cyclist, although he could clearly see I was going to maneuver right in order to overtake that obstacle. When he realised I was moving right he started to shout and scream etc etc.. I admit at that point even I almost lost it and nearly had taken 2" steel spanner out. But that dude was gone very quick.
    On the other note, my brother cycles to work every day. Last week he had almost lost his legs due to some freaky woman van driver crashing into him at a roundabout. At the last moment my bro managed to pull right so the bumper hit his rear wheel. And even then that lady didn't stop for further 200 yards as she have later explained because she "didn't see him!". Wow! 6AM, empty roundabout with one cyclist in his HI-VIS vest, another car stopped to give him way, how on Earth you could not see him? The bike is a write-off now.
    So there are 'heroes' from both parties. Be sensible and respect others as road rage will get you nowhere.

update:
    I would love to see new rule requiring every cyclist to pass at least a theory test before hitting the road.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WigBaM)
    It is so funny to see road rage on the web
    As I drive daily, I have established 2 types of cyclists:

1) ignorant a***holes (75%):
    - they genuinely believe every motorist CAN see them at anytime and have a responsibility to give them way in any case;
    - tend to cycle at speeds of about 10-15mph. What is the point? It does not do too much good to your health and does not save you time as well!
    - road signs/marks, traffic lights, indication rules do not apply;
    2) fair cyclists (25%):
    - you can see them, they always make themselves visible somehow;
    - cycle at speeds of 20-25mph, thus even if it is neccesarry for them to be in the middle of the road it is not so painful to others
    - they STOP at traffic lights! I tend to think these people are very likley to be car drivers themsleves

update:
    I would love to see new rule requiring every cyclist to pass at least a theory test before hitting the road.
    I fit in to catogrey 2 (though tend to mostly go on offroad trails rather then on road these days) Though am slightly lower then the 20-25 mile bracket because i cycle long distances.

I stop at traffic lights, but i dont drive, i havent even started my lessons, i only got as far as getting my provisonal and got sidetracked. The clue is in to the fact that group 2 cycle faster then group 1. Group 2 are regular cyclsits and we obey the laws. Group 1 are not regulars and often have complete disregard for the laws.

You are right that group 1 is bigger then group 2 how ever mosy cycleists you see are in group 2 because if they cycle a lot more regularly, you will see them more often then the group 1 who cycle occasionaly.

I get equaly pissed off when i see some one on a bike not stop at a traffic light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *titanium*)

I stop at traffic lights, but i dont drive, i havent even started my lessons, i only got as far as getting my provisonal and got sidetracked. The clue is in to the fact that group 2 cycle faster then group 1. Group 2 are regular cyclsits and we obey the laws. Group 1 are not regulars and often have complete disregard for the laws.
    I dont stop at traffic lights and i do drive, so thats that theory doesnt work

I cycle fast and i am a regular cyclist (both on road and off road) but dont really obey the laws (i go throught red lights if the traffic is clear ... probably some others i ignore too). So thats the theory out the window too

So according to the catergories above, im a fair ignorant ******** haha.

ReputationRep:
    I was at my bus stop and sawsome girl, which i happened to know, cross a red light on her moped. She thought it was okay because there was no traffic from the other direction. She makes a left turn imediatly after the traffic light, backwheel slides out, she cant keep control and comes off the bike.

Now that must be bad karma coming around! If she stoped at the light, she would not have been going so fast and would not have skidded off the moped.

I was going to go help her.....but then my bus came :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    I cycle fast and i am a regular cyclist (both on road and off road) but dont really obey the laws (i go throught red lights if the traffic is clear ... probably some others i ignore too).
    There is a big chance that one day you'll find your lorry. Or it will find you

ReputationRep:
    'There is a big chance that one day you'll find your lorry.'

I dont follow? At a pedestrian crossing there is no problem crossing a red light - i dont see where a lorry would magically appear from? At some sort of traffic control area then you'd deserve to get hit.

'I would love to see new rule requiring every cyclist to pass at least a theory test before hitting the road.'

Id love that too. And while we are at it i think drivers should be forced to have extra tuition concerning cyclists on the road like they are in europe as well as having to do some night time driving.

'very little wear and tear - certainly not £175 worth. The point is that you pay for the provision of the road, signage etc.'

So signs take up the vast majority of the cost of car tax do you? Roads are regurlary repaved from use at a vast expense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WigBaM)
    There is a big chance that one day you'll find your lorry. Or it will find you
    Come again?

ReputationRep:
    Of course there is no danger to go through the red lights when it is clear. I am talking about a different thing here.
    I try to make a parallel here: when I drive in Europe on the right hand side, I am a bit concerned and concentrated until I have done 100 miles or so. Again when I come back here it is the same story. You brain have a lag which is called "a habit". If you constantly sustain that habit, one day you may decide to go throught the lights when it is not actually safe. I genuinely hope it will never happen, though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i think many cyclists do become complacent after a while of bending the rules.

ReputationRep:
    Bikes don't have the acceleration of a car. Even if the traffic is slow, when it stops then starts you're going to impede the flow of traffic.
    Aside from the 16 cars I just passed while they were queuing and slowing me down.

Wigbam - 'invisible' cyclists ? If you're paying any attention whatsoever, you will see a cyclist like you'd see a motorcyclist. We're the same size, you know. Or are you just a terrible driver ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wesetters)
    1. Cyclists are always visible (invisibility isn't possible yet) if you are lookinng where you are going properly.

2. Cycling at that speed for long periods is very difficult for most prople (I can sustain 15-20mph for hours, but I can't do 30 for more than a few minutes). Unless you've got a racing/road bike, your bike just isn't designed for those speeds. On a BMX (grr) people have no chance of it. On a mountain bike like most people use, it is really quite hard work past 23mph.
    yes indeed.

although hills combined with bus lanes are a god-send!

ReputationRep:
    So no cyclists cants be invisable, but when wearing black at night, they arent exactly going out of their way to be seen!

We sholud have to use lights at night on bikes, jsut liek cars do. I dont ride at night but when i have odne, i have always used a 6 LED light at the back which is extremlty visable especialy as oyu can set it to flash. I Used i tihnk its a 30 Amp halogen bulb light at the front.

Even in daylight, if you wear something that blends in witht he enviroment, you will not be seen so well, i think at night as well as lights, reflective clothing should be worn!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=*titanium*]We sholud have to use lights at night on bikes[QUOTE]
    I think that bikes must have a rear light by law nowadays, certainly new bikes anyway.

Most cyclists on the road would be pressed to sustain 15 mph, even my local club averages slightly less than 20 mph on weekend rides and that's on racing bikes.

ReputationRep:
    Give Cyclists Room!!

I used to love biking to school/work untill my road bikes brakes fell apart. I was able to pull away from most standard cars when at traffic lights. But now stick to off road, because there are few vehicles for you to get in the way of, the other day my mate was biking home, and a van driver turned out infront of him, we were doing 30 mph+ on ma speedo when he whacked into the back of it, he was lucky to get out of that with just cuts and bruises, but did the driver stop?? Did he hell, he carried on driving!! Then found out he lives accross the road from ma mate, so will be fireworks there tonight!!

We have as much right to use the roads as cars do, did all you car drivers who hate us bikers know that it is illegal for us to bike on Public Footpaths, so unless a bike path has been laid for us, we have to bike on the road. So give us room!!!

ReputationRep:
    Problem with a lot of cyclists isnt that they are too slow or anything like that - they have every right to use the roads - its that they dont bother with signs or traffic lights. How many times do you see cyclists go straight through red lights or manoeuvre between people on a zebra crossing?? I dont mind cyclists so long as they stay close to the left so vehicles can overtake safely and with loads of room and follow the rules of the road. Simple, cyclists get bad press because they think they are immune to road rules and some are inclined to ride carelessly on the pavements.

Recently, I cyclist was caught jumping a red light and was given a fine. He was furious and decided not to pay. What a wally, if it was a motorist they would have paid up or challenged it in court but not kick up suck a fuss. Once the group letting the side down learn we will all live in peace together, sharing the road!

ReputationRep:
    Bikes don't have the acceleration of a car. Even if the traffic is slow, when it stops then starts you're going to impede the flow of traffic. And, one time, someone isn't going to see you and you'll be straight under the wheels of a vehicle.

Individually, a car causes very little wear and tear - certainly not £175 worth. The point is that you pay for the provision of the road, signage etc. Bikes pay nothing towards this, as well as disobeying every road law possible AND enjoying the fact that the stupid police ignore the idiotic things you do that I'd lose my licence for.
    you can be arrested for Edit: "reckless biking"(must check ma spelling lol) and "dangerous cycling". You can also recieve speeding tickets, there is just a fine i think, i got caught speeding on ma bike by a mobile gun, and was pulled over by the police, was let off with a warning as was wearing the correct safety gear, plus they liked the bike lol, so admittedly that doesnt help my side of the argument, but it is not as unfair as you may think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chileris)
    you can be arrested for "wreckless biking"
    There's a pun in there somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jr2007)
    Problem with a lot of cyclists isnt that they are too slow or anything like that - they have every right to use the roads - its that they dont bother with signs or traffic lights. How many times do you see cyclists go straight through red lights or manoeuvre between people on a zebra crossing?? I dont mind cyclists so long as they stay close to the left so vehicles can overtake safely and with loads of room and follow the rules of the road. Simple, cyclists get bad press because they think they are immune to road rules and some are inclined to ride carelessly on the pavements.

Recently, I cyclist was caught jumping a red light and was given a fine. He was furious and decided not to pay. What a wally, if it was a motorist they would have paid up or challenged it in court but not kick up suck a fuss. Once the group letting the side down learn we will all live in peace together, sharing the road!
    I agree on the part of jumping red lights, but by law cyclists are prefered to have their tyres between .5 and 1.2 metres away from the edge of the kerb, so ewhen i am biking along normally within this, i stil lget irrate drivers shout at me thru the window, and its when i put my foot down and they realise up to 25mph (city speeds) that i can keep up with them, they get more annoyed cos im ahead of em, i have had one guy try to push me over from him leaning over and out of his car to grab me, and someone slam his brakes on to make me swerve out the way, i didnt and when he tried to claim it on the insurance and then get the money off me, he didnt have a leg to stand on, as was using a headcam at the time, so had proof of what he did.

We need to be allowed to use the pavements or have cycle lanes/roads. and the cost of this should be covered by adding say a £10 fee on to any new bikes sold in the country, that way you dont get too ripped off and you get some decent services for us, and then everyones happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chileris)
    i have had one guy try to push me over from him leaning over and out of his car to grab me, and someone slam his brakes on to make me swerve out the way, i didnt and when he tried to claim it on the insurance and then get the money off me, he didnt have a leg to stand on, as was using a headcam at the time, so had proof of what he did.

Yeah that sucks, i had a gun pointed at me out of a car once.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.