Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Aside from the 16 cars I just passed while they were queuing and slowing me down.

Wigbam - 'invisible' cyclists ? If you're paying any attention whatsoever, you will see a cyclist like you'd see a motorcyclist. We're the same size, you know. Or are you just a terrible driver ?
    Here we go. Exactly the attitude I was talking about. Everyone CAN see you ANYTIME and MUST give you way, huh?
    I can hear motorcyclists. Of course I do look out for cyclists as I know it's me who's gonna get all the blame regardless of the situation. I am particulary concerned about jams, when cyclists start swinging from left to right, between the cars, nearly going on top in order to get past. I have already provided example earlier. You have 3 mirros + 2 blindspots in the car, tell me how am I supposed to look into 5 directions at once? I guess I am a terrible driver, but so far 4 years without an accident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WigBaM)
    Everyone CAN see you ANYTIME and MUST give you way, huh?
    \

No. But if I'm always aware of what's on the road around me, including other cyclists, without mirrors, then you should be too. And that includes mental cyclists who clearly can't steer. In fact, their constant zig-zagging should make them easier to see.

ReputationRep:
    Dr. Blazed
    Do you drive? Have you ever been driving through Central London in a rush hour? I get a feeling we are talking about different things here.
    I guess there are also other factors which contribute to the haos. Like many others pointed out earlier - narrow lanes or no dedicated bus lanes and huge amount of cars.

ReputationRep:
    Dr. Blazed
    Do you drive? Have you ever been driving through Central London in a rush hour? I get a feeling we are talking about different things here.
    I guess there are also other factors which contribute to the haos. Like many others pointed out earlier - narrow lanes or no dedicated bus lanes and huge amount of cars.
    I cycle into the City and back every day. Admittedly, it is pretty mental for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    'so long as they stay close to the left'

So they should keep to the side with parked cars opening their doors, drains, yellow lines (which can be a major hazard when wet) and potholes?. Come on, most cyclists i see travel a fair distance away from the pavement and with good reason.

ReputationRep:
    I really need to rant about this.

Today I saw THREE cyclists cycling on the road when there was a two lane cycle path RIGHT NEXT TO THEM. A cycle path that probably cost the council hundreds of pounds to put in. A cycle path that had NO ONE ELSE ON IT. It wasn't even on the other side of the road, it was about 2cm to the left of where they were cycling! But no, they prefer to block up the road, for some.... UNTOLD REASON!

One of them, I spent about two minutes behind going at 5mph because there was no place to overtake them. How ****ing stupid do you have to be to not use a cycle path when it's RIGHT THERE?! I'm sorry, but I just can't think of ANY reason for them not to use it! It's safer for them! It's easier! There were plenty of spaces where the kirb sloped for them to get on! But did they? NO! I mean really, are they just trying to piss everyone off? I really can't think of any other explanation. This was a woman of about 40. Another one I saw was a kid who looked no older than about 6, cycling on his own, down a busy road, with no helmet, once again on the road when there was a huge cycle path RIGHT THERE!

Arghh, it just REALLY annoys me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiggles)
    I really need to rant about this.

Today I saw THREE cyclists cycling on the road when there was a two lane cycle path RIGHT NEXT TO THEM. A cycle path that probably cost the council hundreds of pounds to put in. A cycle path that had NO ONE ELSE ON IT. It wasn't even on the other side of the road, it was about 2cm to the left of where they were cycling! But no, they prefer to block up the road, for some.... UNTOLD REASON!

One of them, I spent about two minutes behind going at 5mph because there was no place to overtake them. How ****ing stupid do you have to be to not use a cycle path when it's RIGHT THERE?! I'm sorry, but I just can't think of ANY reason for them not to use it! It's safer for them! It's easier! There were plenty of spaces where the kirb sloped for them to get on! But did they? NO! I mean really, are they just trying to piss everyone off? I really can't think of any other explanation. This was a woman of about 40. Another one I saw was a kid who looked no older than about 6, cycling on his own, down a busy road, with no helmet, once again on the road when there was a huge cycle path RIGHT THERE!

Arghh, it just REALLY annoys me!
    The people you described are the problem, not general cyclists. Please guys stop blaming all of us for a minority group. I drive as well as bike everywhere, but when i get one bad driver i dont say "all motorists are complete ****s. But that is what seems to be done here towards bikers. By law we are allowed 1/4(or thereabouts) of the road, we are not supposed to be biking in the drains, but as i said earlier, not many people know that. There should be more public awareness about the laws of biking and what you are supposed to do. The problem with most is that when you're at junior school, theres sometimes an option to do Safer Cycling. The course i went on took 15 people, out of 70!! Now come on, when less than 25% get a chance to go on the course, and when some schools dont even do the course, how the hell are people going to know what to do when they get to a junction, or are slowing up traffic?? Another thing, if im down a narrow lane and a car wants to get past, i will pull over, if you did that in a car you would get immediate appreacitation from the road users you let through, almost all would all say thanks and you all go on your merry way. I very rarely get this when on my bike, i pull over as soon as i can, sometimes instantly, and all i get is people stare or shout abuse. Granted there is the odd driver who will let you out when you have right of way etc and are polite and curtious but the vast majority dont bother. With this and the safer cycling problems can you blame bikers for being irate at drivers??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chileris)
    The people you described are the problem, not general cyclists. Please guys stop blaming all of us for a minority group. I drive as well as bike everywhere, but when i get one bad driver i dont say "all motorists are complete ****s. But that is what seems to be done here towards bikers. By law we are allowed 1/4(or thereabouts) of the road, we are not supposed to be biking in the drains, but as i said earlier, not many people know that. There should be more public awareness about the laws of biking and what you are supposed to do. The problem with most is that when you're at junior school, theres sometimes an option to do Safer Cycling. The course i went on took 15 people, out of 70!! Now come on, when less than 25% get a chance to go on the course, and when some schools dont even do the course, how the hell are people going to know what to do when they get to a junction, or are slowing up traffic?? Another thing, if im down a narrow lane and a car wants to get past, i will pull over, if you did that in a car you would get immediate appreacitation from the road users you let through, almost all would all say thanks and you all go on your merry way. I very rarely get this when on my bike, i pull over as soon as i can, sometimes instantly, and all i get is people stare or shout abuse. Granted there is the odd driver who will let you out when you have right of way etc and are polite and curtious but the vast majority dont bother. With this and the safer cycling problems can you blame bikers for being irate at drivers??
    I'm not having a go at all cyclists, I'm just saying that when hundreds of pounds are spent widening the pavements to make cycling safer for cyclists, why can't they USE them? I passed two cyclists today who were cycling on the road, but there was no cycle path as it was a country road, so I didn't mind waiting behind them as I appreciated they had just as much right to be on the road as I did. But when there's a path the size of half the road specifically intended for cyclists, literally a few centimetres to their left, and they choose to stay on the road anyway, I can only think that they must be doing it to piss drivers off, and it works.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not having a go at all cyclists, I'm just saying that when hundreds of pounds are spent widening the pavements to make cycling safer for cyclists, why can't they USE them? I passed two cyclists today who were cycling on the road, but there was no cycle path as it was a country road, so I didn't mind waiting behind them as I appreciated they had just as much right to be on the road as I did. But when there's a path the size of half the road specifically intended for cyclists, literally a few centimetres to their left, and they choose to stay on the road anyway, I can only think that they must be doing it to piss drivers off, and it works.
    I can answer this for you. One reason is that you are not suposed to! There are sometimes cycle paths no pavements, but only very rearly.

Then there if the fact that people walking get in the way, they stray on to the cycle path part , it means you always have to slow down for them and if there is a curb it means you also have to slow down there.

On raceing bikes you cant even go up curbs as it will dmage the wheel! So you must stop complety.

ReputationRep:
    At least we don't live in the US:

http://digave.com/videos/

check out the 'NYC drag race' movie.

ReputationRep:
    I could go on and on about the number of times ive been cycling down a tight street (cars parked on each side) when a cars just pulled out in front of me while im doing around 20-25 mph and all i can say is thank god for disc brakes.

**** didnt even apologise as i almost smash into him... most car drivers arent like this like most cyclists dont jump red lights etc.

Bikes have just as much a right to use normal roads as cars (just we dont pay ) afterall we're not allowed on pavements (altho i'll use them if theres no one there late at night)

Only guilty of weaving around traffic once but that was to a group of about 20 boy racers who deserved it

ReputationRep:
    'Cycling in the gutter (which is what the cycle path amounts to in all honesty) is actually pretty dangerous'

Exactly. If youve got a narrow wheeled road bike you would present more of a hazard cycling in the gutter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wesetters)
    Cycling in the gutter (which is what the cycle path amounts to in all honesty) is actually pretty dangerous, as you have to pull out every few metres into heavy traffic, and the roads are so mashed up at the edges that it's impossible to go in a straight line. Being towards the centre of the road also stops idiots from trying to overtake at stupid places (like as I'm going through the bollards). Not to mention that we are more visible when we aren't in the gutter. So if it's a choice between risking my life and inconveniencing you very slightly, I'm afraid you'll have to change into a low gear.
    I'm not talking about those bits at the edge of the road painted off for cyclists, I'm talking about actual paths, raised on a kirb, seperated from the road, where cars will obviously not be driving. You may not have them around where you live, but where I do, they've spent loads of time and money widening the pavements so that you can cycle miles without actually having to go on the road. I understand not wanting to cycle "in the gutter" as you said, as it's pretty dangerous, but what I'm talking about is whole pavements that are designated specifically to cyclists, not just a painted line on the side of the road.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking about those bits at the edge of the road painted off for cyclists, I'm talking about actual paths, raised on a kirb, seperated from the road, where cars will obviously not be driving. You may not have them around where you live, but where I do, they've spent loads of time and money widening the pavements so that you can cycle miles without actually having to go on the road. I understand not wanting to cycle "in the gutter" as you said, as it's pretty dangerous, but what I'm talking about is whole pavements that are designated specifically to cyclists, not just a painted line on the side of the road.
    Like i said before, pedsestrians zigzag makeing you have to slow down to a walking pace to overtake them and then theres the fact that you cant go up and down curbs on a raceing bike so have to stop complety every time you get to one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *titanium*)
    Like i said before, pedsestrians zigzag makeing you have to slow down to a walking pace to overtake them and then theres the fact that you cant go up and down curbs on a raceing bike so have to stop complety every time you get to one.
    So that suppose to justify cyclists not using their designated lanes?
    I have to check with bus drivers on this issue.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So that suppose to justify cyclists not using their designated lanes?
    I have to check with bus drivers on this issue.. :rolleyes:
    If the council have gone and made some crappy cycle path, with out even consulting cycleists which does not meat our needs, well we arent going to use it as there is nothing to say you must use it.

People wlak on the path, they ignore the fact its for cycling, it makes going at a reasonable speed inpractical, especialy if you have ever been on a raceing bike, you will know what the brakes are like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *titanium*)
    If the council have gone and made some crappy cycle path, with out even consulting cycleists which does not meat our needs, well we arent going to use it as there is nothing to say you must use it.

People wlak on the path, they ignore the fact its for cycling, it makes going at a reasonable speed inpractical, especialy if you have ever been on a raceing bike, you will know what the brakes are like.
    Have you ever thought about trying to find a compromise? Get a bike that will be able to handle the rough path. It is the same if I was driving a car with 2" clearance and complaining to council about why the roads are not meeting my needs. My bro when he first got his bike got 2 punctures the very first week, then he bought those special puncture proof tyres and then that lady crashed into him but anyway, I believe there is a way out.

ReputationRep:
    Why should he have to buy a new bike so he can use the cycle paths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wesetters)
    We don't have designated lanes.
    I can take some photos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    Why should he have to buy a new bike so he can use the cycle paths?
    So there would be less complaining about motorists being unfriendly etc. etc.? Not necesserally a new bike, couple of tweaks here and there.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.