Cyclists... grr! Watch

Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by *titanium*)
Nothing beats the 4x4 towing a caravan which pulled in to on comming traffic to overtake me then realised halfway through that it has no space to do so and then just decided to pull back on to the road as if i was not even there forceing me right off the road.
I kick vehicles that do that to me.

I never ride at night without lights, and always look over my shoulder before moving out, but regularly run lights and cycle the wrong way up one way streets (I will however give way to oncoming traffic if it's not wide enough for them to pass me). I like to think that I compromise with the road laws, insomuch as I stay safe, but move quickly.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If the council have gone and made some crappy cycle path, with out even consulting cycleists which does not meat our needs, well we arent going to use it as there is nothing to say you must use it.

People wlak on the path, they ignore the fact its for cycling, it makes going at a reasonable speed inpractical, especialy if you have ever been on a raceing bike, you will know what the brakes are like.
If you have a bell and use it, usually people on the cycle path will move over to one side.

On the cycle lanes note, I hate how impractical the large majority of them are. On road ones are too narrow, and on pavement ones, when you cross a side road, you have to give way (unlike in Spain and the Netherlands, where motorists must give way to crossing cyclists as they would to cars on the parallel road). This results in much slowing down and speeding up, and so generally I stick to the road even if there is a parallel cycle path on the pavement.
WigBaM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Carl)
I hate how impractical the large majority of them are. On road ones are too narrow, and on pavement ones, when you cross a side road, you have to give way (unlike in Spain and the Netherlands, where motorists must give way to crossing cyclists as they would to cars on the parallel road). This results in much slowing down and speeding up, and so generally I stick to the road even if there is a parallel cycle path on the pavement.
I have personally seen on many occasions cycle lanes crossing some side roads and there were clear GIVE WAY signs (of give-way lines). Will take a picture next time.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't deny that they exist (I've seen them on the promenade in New Brighton), but I think they are the exception rather than the rule. I'll photo some where you have to give way to side roads on the Taff Trail if you want.
*titanium*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
when every cyclist says that cycle path son pavements are not practical, why do so many no cycleists seem to tihnk there is an easy way round? Buying a hybrid and using a bell wont help you, theres still crubs, and you sitll have to watch for traffic, fact is if i want to cruise at 20mph well if im going on the pavement i have to half my average speed.
WigBaM
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
when every cyclist says that cycle path son pavements are not practical, why do so many no cycleists seem to tihnk there is an easy way round? Buying a hybrid and using a bell wont help you, theres still crubs, and you sitll have to watch for traffic, fact is if i want to cruise at 20mph well if im going on the pavement i have to half my average speed.
I have a reliable information source
Anyway, if you cycle at 20mph on the road I won't mind at all. As I have said earlier the problem is that vast majority does slightly more than my walking speed.
OBScene
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by wesetters)
So if it's a choice between risking my life and inconveniencing you very slightly, I'm afraid you'll have to change into a low gear.
Got to love that attitude. Cycling in the middle of the road is far more dangerous, not least because at some stage a driver is going to get fed up, get out and give you a good kick.

Btw, for those of you arguing that most cyclists obey the law, I was sitting at a restaurant last night with a good view of a pedestrian crossing on Cowley Road, a busy street in Oxford. 2/3 of cyclists (I counted) didn't even have a rear light, and not one stopped when the light was on red. And for reference, if I ever try and cross the road and I notice a cyclist isn't going to stop, I wait, grab their handlebars and twist their bike to the ground. It's self defence and I thoroughly encourage more people to teach stupid cyclists a lesson!
piiiink
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why is it that cyclists won't travel on a pavement cycle path because they get inconvenienced by slower pedestrians, but its completely acceptable to inconvenience car drivers by driving on the road? I don't quite understand that attitude. A cyclist is allowed to travel at their maximum speed, but a car may not travel at the speed limit?
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ie why don't bikes fly and not get in anyone's way?
wiggles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by piiiink)
Why is it that cyclists won't travel on a pavement cycle path because they get inconvenienced by slower pedestrians, but its completely acceptable to inconvenience car drivers by driving on the road? I don't quite understand that attitude. A cyclist is allowed to travel at their maximum speed, but a car may not travel at the speed limit?
Exactly. And the cases I was talking about earlier, were when the cycle paths were very wide, and very straight. The cyclist could have seen for miles in front of them, and there wasn't a pedestrian in site. I'm not saying that when there isn't a cycle path they should cycle in the gutter, but when there is, why can't they just bloody use it? It would make it so much easier for everyone. And if all this stuff about being knocked off the road by drivers is to be believed, you would WANT to cycle on a pavement specially built for you, rather on the road.

And what the **** is that post above me on about bikes flying to keep out of peoples way? Just ride on the ****ing cycle path is all I'm saying. In my area, where there are never any pedestrians on the cycle paths, no phone boxes built on them, and you can go miles without having to leave it, there is NO reason why you shouldn't use them. I know I do whenever I cycle.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wiggles)
Exactly. And the cases I was talking about earlier, were when the cycle paths were very wide, and very straight. The cyclist could have seen for miles in front of them, and there wasn't a pedestrian in site. I'm not saying that when there isn't a cycle path they should cycle in the gutter, but when there is, why can't they just bloody use it? It would make it so much easier for everyone. And if all this stuff about being knocked off the road by drivers is to be believed, you would WANT to cycle on a pavement specially built for you, rather on the road.

And what the **** is that post above me on about bikes flying to keep out of peoples way? Just ride on the ****ing cycle path is all I'm saying. In my area, where there are never any pedestrians on the cycle paths, no phone boxes built on them, and you can go miles without having to leave it, there is NO reason why you shouldn't use them. I know I do whenever I cycle.
Lucky you. Where I am well laid out cycle paths are few and far between.

Besides, all this stuff about being knocked off on the road is nonsense. If you cycle sensibly and remain aware, the chances of being knocked off are absolutely minimal.
forever_lost
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So some cyclists dont cycle on well made cycle paths? No [I can avoid the filter, I think I am clever]. Some car drivers dont indicate at junction. Some people dont say thank you at supermarkets. Some people rape little children. So whats that got to do with the cyclists that do obey the rules?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What has shocked me is cyclesyts not using paths when they are perfectly good, people walking on cycle lanes.

What has surprised me though is just how far I can travel using cycle lanes. My record is 10 miles without having to go on a single road . I will admit that Liverpool is 60 miles away this way though, instead of 35 miles by car
Note
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And for reference, if I ever try and cross the road and I notice a cyclist isn't going to stop, I wait, grab their handlebars and twist their bike to the ground. It's self defence and I thoroughly encourage more people to teach stupid cyclists a lesson!
Lol. Planned self defence.
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I usually use cycle paths where possible but don't have a problem with cyclists on the road - it only takes a bit of patience and higher levels of observations for a few seconds. However, in Manchester, on Oxford road going out of Manchester, just after Manc Vic, there is a cycle path that requires you to come off the main road, cut across the road using like a lay-by, ride through hundreds of students in a sort of shopping precinct area, cross over a busy side road and the Manchester Museum or whatever it is and then go through a park with more potholes than I care to remember. All this for about 150m of road! I time it once, just cycling on the road normally took me one third of the time compared with faffing about with all that! After you have used the path you then have to cross back over and rejoin the normal road through Rusholme.

Well done whoever thought that that was a useful idea. I bet it cost 10k+ to do it and few people use it as it's counter-productive.
tommorris
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We cyclists are second class road users. I don't know why we don't have targets printed on our clothes.
Tell that to the cycling idiot who almost struck me down by skipping a red while I was crossing the road on a zebra crossing. This is why Britain needs a Second Amendment.
tommorris
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That's why you look before you cross the road... BTW, zebra crossings don't have lights...
Okay, I meant the other one, a pelican. I did look, but he came out of the blue, late at night.
Dougy_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by piiiink)
You are completely wrong here. I have been fined for excessive speeding on my bike on a cycle lane, was doing 35mph on the cycle lane in a 30 limit for the road, and was pulled over and fined on the spot £60 for the extra 5 mph. On a road bike, 30mph isnt hard, i make 35mph on ma mtb, and thats got some beefy tyres and brakes. Have spoken to a local policeman about htis, he says that if your speed seems excesive the an on the spot fine is issued, by excessive he meant on the cylce lanes which just have a line between that and the pavement, he will speak to anyone doing above 20, but if they biking on the road the speed limit of the road applies. My boss discribed his view today: we dont pay tax for the road, because we dont use as much of it each day than a car, and the road laws are there to stop cars from killing each other, because a car is more of a dangerous weapon than a bike. i know which one i would prefer to be hit at at any speed.
piiiink
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Chileris)
You are completely wrong here. I have been fined for excessive speeding on my bike on a cycle lane, was doing 35mph on the cycle lane in a 30 limit for the road, and was pulled over and fined on the spot £60 for the extra 5 mph. On a road bike, 30mph isnt hard, i make 35mph on ma mtb, and thats got some beefy tyres and brakes. Have spoken to a local policeman about htis, he says that if your speed seems excesive the an on the spot fine is issued, by excessive he meant on the cylce lanes which just have a line between that and the pavement, he will speak to anyone doing above 20, but if they biking on the road the speed limit of the road applies. My boss discribed his view today: we dont pay tax for the road, because we dont use as much of it each day than a car, and the road laws are there to stop cars from killing each other, because a car is more of a dangerous weapon than a bike. i know which one i would prefer to be hit at at any speed.

I think you missed my point a little. Cyclists on this thread have been complaining about the lack of quality in the cycle lanes, which is why they ride on the road. But won't ride on the pavement when the cycle lanes are part of them, because the pedestrians get in the way and mean they have to go slower. Cars generally go faster than most cyclists in a 30 zone for example. But as a driver, I'm expected to slow to the speed of a cyclist until its safe to overtake.

I don't mind this too much, but I'm trying to say: Why is it ok for the cyclists to complain so much about pedestrians, and yet get cross with drivers for doing pretty much the same thing? And yes, I realise the consequences of being hit by a car when you're on a bike might be alot worse than a bike hitting a person, but the principles the same thing!
forever_lost
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
'I have been fined for excessive speeding on my bike on a cycle lane, was doing 35mph on the cycle lane in a 30 limit for the road'.

How did you know you were speeding? I dont use a speedo so how could i be fined for travelling too fast when i dont know the speed?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.65%
No (667)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise