Cyclists... grr! Watch

forever_lost
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You cant get fined for speeding on a bike... you can dangerous cycling though.
*titanium*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wesetters)
Ignorance isn't an acceptable excuse, I'm afraid.
Thas what they say about the law, and in a car if you speed with a broken speedometer they will sya it should have been working, but if its not a legal requirment on a bike, surely they cant expect you to know your speed, because its not a law you can learn, you noeed the speedo, yet are legally not using one.
forever_lost
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Im pretty sure you could challange a fixed penalty if it was for speeding on a bike (partly because they would need either camera or in your case a police camera in a car) to prove you were speeding.
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nope, a policeman can give an expert opinion that you were speeding, usually backed up by a partner. There is NO need to have any equipment of any sort to prove speeding, just the word of a policeman (or two I believe).

However, it wouldn't stand with a bike very easily as a policeman is trained to deal with speeding cars.
*titanium*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What you should do is buy a spedo then cycle around asking them to guess your speed. They will obviously not do a good job of it and then you can show them that there 'expert oppinion' is not acurate enough to say you where speeding.
forever_lost
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
'However, it wouldn't stand with a bike very easily as a policeman is trained to deal with speeding cars.
'

Exactly. A case like that would fall apart in the courts.
forever_lost
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cy...nd_the_law.php

'CYCLING FURIOUSLY?
It's an in-joke in cycling that cyclists can't be booked for speeding but can be fined for "pedalling furiously." Many cyclists list being cited for "cycling furiously" as one of their life ambitions. Professor David S. Wall, Head of the University of Leeds Law School, a professor of criminal justice lists his hobby as: Cycling (Furiously)

As bicycles are, in law, classified as carriages, it's often been assumed that the old offence of "furiously driving a carriage" under section 35 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861, applies to cyclists.

However, legal eagles have been unable to find a a reference to such a cycling offence in Blackstone's Criminal Practice or in Halsbury's Laws of England. Nor does a keyword search for "furiously" in all statutes give anything concerning bicycles in particular. '
Dougy_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by forever_lost)
'I have been fined for excessive speeding on my bike on a cycle lane, was doing 35mph on the cycle lane in a 30 limit for the road'.

How did you know you were speeding? I dont use a speedo so how could i be fined for travelling too fast when i dont know the speed?
I was travelling faster than the traffic, so yes that was a bit stupid, had a speedo too, also the police were using a mobile speed gun to check the speeds of cars. The police can fine if they deem your speed to be unsuitable, within reason of course
forever_lost
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So you didnt get the ticket for speeding ticket? Or did you break legal history? Or did you in fact get a fine for dangerous cycling/cycling without due care.
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was pulled over by the police eighteen months ago for riding without lights. It took them a good two miles to catch me though
Dougy_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by forever_lost)
So you didnt get the ticket for speeding ticket? Or did you break legal history? Or did you in fact get a fine for dangerous cycling/cycling without due care.
The fine was for dangerous cycling, but the officer who gave it me said it was because my speed wasnt suitable for that road
Two Tone
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you lot hate bikes, then come and drive round Cambridge. They are everywhere. One of the first things you learn when learning how to drive is to look out for them, and how much room to leave them.
Dougy_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Two Tone)
If you lot hate bikes, then come and drive round Cambridge. They are everywhere. One of the first things you learn when learning how to drive is to look out for them, and how much room to leave them.
Have driven round cambs, and i agree at times it can be a nightmare, just as driving round the M25 and M6 is a nightmare. As i have said before though, it is a minority of bikers which ruin it and upset motorists, as is with motorists who annoy bikers, there is a minority group of each
forever_lost
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I allways though the abundance of cyclists are good in Cambridge. If you want speed you go on a motorway or purpose built speed road, not a town centre.

Still, if i was you, i'd fight that £60 fine for dangerous cycling. 5mph over the limit isn't dangerous. Cycling fines are easier to get out off than speeding tickets.
forever_lost
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And i thought fines for dangerous cycling were either £50 £80 and above?
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In two minds about this:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/29072006/35...don-bikes.html
Dougy_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What about the people who drive down and bike in london?? I sometimes go MTB'ing in Dorking, near london, it would be very difficult to just target one specific area. ATM it is illigal to sell a bike without a bell and reflectors. the moment i got my bike the reflectors and the bell were off, as i dont believe i need them. With the number plate thing, will we have to pay extra to get registered? probably, and will insurance become essential?? Another government money making scheme!!:p:
okfaye!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Im a cyclist, i try to keep to the side of the road but when its full of rubbish and broken glass i find it hard to. I stop at traffic lights aswell because cars do, i often see other cylists trying to go through red lights, personally i think its dangerous and abit disrespectful to other people to go through the red light.
What i really can't stand is ignorant people in their big 4x4s who think that i don't deserve to be on the road, my bike doesn't give off pollution and where else am i to train?
Dougy_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by PinkMonkey)
Im a cyclist, i try to keep to the side of the road but when its full of rubbish and broken glass i find it hard to. I stop at traffic lights aswell because cars do, i often see other cylists trying to go through red lights, personally i think its dangerous and abit disrespectful to other people to go through the red light.
What i really can't stand is ignorant people in their big 4x4s who think that i don't deserve to be on the road, my bike doesn't give off pollution and where else am i to train?
That is what ive been trying to say. Ooo and its busses and some lorries too, although to be fair there isnt much room when a bus/lorry tries to overtake anyway, so maybe not always their fault
forever_lost
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My one and only time i got hit was by a local bike shop van which, i guess, was deliving bikes , oh the irony.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (230)
27.64%
No (602)
72.36%

Watched Threads