Turn on thread page Beta

Did you sit a GCSE(s) early? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Did you sit a GCSE(s) early?
    Yes
    61.83%
    No
    38.17%

ReputationRep:
    touché

ReputationRep:
    I took Russian last year. My sister who's a year younger than me (in year 10 now) has taken Russian, German and RS short course :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting all of my GCSEs early, since I got moved up a year :p: plus I did my German when I was in year 10 and the age of a year 9 :p:

ReputationRep:
    ICT at the beginning of Year 9. We had the most awful teacher ever, who got sacked after our results came out because 2/3 of the year got Ds and Es. The rest of us got As, but only because we taught ourselves - and I don't think anyone got an A*! It put me off ICT for life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Berto90)
    What I always find funny is when you see some kid in the paper because he did his IT GCSE when he was 5. I just scream "That's because it's the easiest qualification on the F'n planet!" :p:
    I found the coursework really tough! But then it wasn't hard, it's just there was a lot of it...

I really think that people as young as that should spend their time enjoying their childhood - they've got the rest of their lives to sit exams! And I'm sure they get ostracised from other kids their age. Not to mention dumbing down GCSEs by making people think they're so easy toddlers can do them... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xemmajanex)
    But then it wasn't hard, it's just there was a lot of it...
    plus it was soooooo boring :p:

ReputationRep:
    GCSE Maths a year early, school forced my whole class to....

ReputationRep:
    you say that like you didn't want to...

isn't it good to get it out of the way? and you could always resit (1/3 of our class did)

ReputationRep:
    Didn't really want to because all we did in year 11 was D1.
    A total waste of time if you ask me....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R.J.A)
    you say that like you didn't want to...

isn't it good to get it out of the way? and you could always resit (1/3 of our class did)
    If 1/3 the class resat doesn't it seem that you weren't really ready?! In response to the earlier post about TSR students being above the national average- I think you're right, not only are people with only a few GCSE passes not so likely to carry on with further education- as well as only those that got fairly high GCSE results likely to post on threads about GCSEs- but I get the feeling that the proportion of private school students is pretty large on TSR.
    Ah well it was only a poll!

ReputationRep:
    I did short course ICT last year and this year I did maths (I'm in year 10)

ReputationRep:
    I did French in year 9 and Stats in Year 10.

Tbh i wish we didnt do french early as it made it impossible for me to do it at A level because i'd forgotten it all by then which was really annoying as i really wanted to continue with it.
    Its a stupid idea taking them early did nothing for me and is purely about the school trying to up its number of good grades.

ReputationRep:
    Ye unless you are going to start A-level early, then there is little point - especially for subjects like French which are easy to forget.

ReputationRep:
    ICT , Aplied ICT and Stats in 2005 got A* , A , B

ReputationRep:
    Yes Im going to year eleven and I did 4 IGCSEs and 1 GCSEs when I was in year 10, the four IGCSEs was English, Mathematics, ICT and Art (It wasnt that hard except for art I must be pretty insane to take that subject lol) and Arabic GCSE For foreigners...I take out the easy subkect first and focus on the other a little bit harder subject in year 11...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyvet2006)
    If 1/3 the class resat doesn't it seem that you weren't really ready?! In response to the earlier post about TSR students being above the national average- I think you're right, not only are people with only a few GCSE passes not so likely to carry on with further education- as well as only those that got fairly high GCSE results likely to post on threads about GCSEs- but I get the feeling that the proportion of private school students is pretty large on TSR.
    Ah well it was only a poll!
    I've come across this argument before (TSR users being above average) and to be honest, I'm pretty sure it's correct. There is no chance the national GCSE population sees 61% of students sit a GCSE early.

I wouldn’t say it’s a pointless poll (though ultimately flawed), but it’s satisfied (…is satisfying) my curiosity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Papillon)
    I've come across this argument before (TSR users being above average) and to be honest, I'm pretty sure it's correct. There is no chance the national GCSE population sees 61% of students sit a GCSE early.
    I certainly support this point. However, on a national scale quite a large amount of people could take GCSEs early - such as languages for foreigners or Asians/Arabs etc... who are fluent in their Mother Tongue. However I doubt many have such an opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    I've not sat any early, no one in my school did.

However, there is a boy in year 7 who was moved up a year from year 6 who took GCSE maths this year and is on course to get an A*. Bloody ridiculous...:p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah for us there was an option to sit Stats in Year 10, doing it as an after school class; I chose to do it as it wasn't offered in Yr 11. Worst mistake of my life!
    It's supposed to be a two year course and we did it once a week for sixth months; half of that time we did coursework and alll in all, I think we had about 8 lessons spent preparing for the exam; it really wasn't enough time. Miracle that I got an A. I really wouldn't reccommend sitting one early.
    At my brother's school they all sat ICT in Yr 9; no-one in the year got A* and there were only a couple of As. I think it's really stupid to sit GCSEs in Yr 9; you just don't have the experience, practice and maturity to take a GCSE exam at that age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calcium878)
    I certainly support this point. However, on a national scale quite a large amount of people could take GCSEs early - such as languages for foreigners or Asians/Arabs etc... who are fluent in their Mother Tongue. However I doubt many have such an opportunity.
    Why would you take GCSE if you were already fluent??

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.