No (50)
38.17%
calcium878
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Suzi_law)
did Maths early but i wouldnt reccommend it - out of 60 of us that took it early, only 5 got A*s, and we were meant to be top sets...
That is a very bad judgement on the teacher's part! An A* rate of less than 10%!
harr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Suzi_law)
did Maths early but i wouldnt reccommend it - out of 60 of us that took it early, only 5 got A*s, and we were meant to be top sets...
But if someone is ready then they might as well take it early. Taking the sciences last year 16 out of the 17 people in the set got an A* in chemistry, the other got an A. The biology and physics results weren't as good (roughly 10A*s, 6As and 1B in biology, 6A*s, 9As and 2Bs in physics), but it does show that just because you do it a year early doesn't mean you are necessarily going to do badly.
RJA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
woah, wouldn't that majorly screw anyone up who wanted to do A-level science? you would forget loads over 12 months...
harr
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We did AS Science (single award) in year 11. For people who want to do a science for A level this means that they get to cover some A level material and get a qualification covering any sciences that they choose to drop. For people who want to concentrate on arts subjects for A level it gives a bit of variety.
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:cool: that would be extremely useful...but i don't think i could have done triple science at that pace
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by AisAis)
I know loads of people who have had A*s in our year ten mocks, even though we've been told you can expect to go up one or two grades between now and the real thing.
you have misunderstood this. they have an A* in the year 10 content, not the full course...it is an A* just based on what you were taught that year, and therefore a prediction for the proper results

if they sat the full exam in year 10, and then year 11, the grade would increase by 2 or 3...
calcium878
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Following on from R.J.A, not only in a Year 10 mock would there only be roughly half the syllabus' content, but the earlier work is generally easier also. Therefore it can't always be a true reflection of what your final grade may be.
Mustardseed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I did Music 2 years early.
TheRandomer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Not a full GCSE, I did half of my RE and 30%ish of my Science in Year 10 though
Wiseguy.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A* Maths GCSE at year 10 (That was the year when the paper was insanely hard where an A was 45%, and a C was 13%)
NViasko
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I took GCSE IT a year early. I think it's a good idea, personally.
mikeski
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Goodfella333)
A* Maths GCSE at year 10 (That was the year when the paper was insanely hard where an A was 45%, and a C was 13%)
AN A WAS 45%!!?!?!?!?! :eek:!!!!!!
harr
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mikeski)
AN A WAS 45%!!?!?!?!?! :eek:!!!!!!
I'm more worried about the C boundary. 13% is ridiculously low, if someone is getting that I would question why they are doing higher tier.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would just like to defend my B in Edexcel maths, taken in 2004, by pointing out that the exams were bloody hard that year, much harder than any past papers we'd done, and all the teachers agreed they were the hardest GCSE maths exams they'd ever seen. Although I actually scraped an A in the exams and was brought down to a mid B by my high C grade coursework :mad: but my point still stands :p:
lovers in japan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I took that as a practise paper! I got something appalling in it, and I would just like to say that my entire Maths set pities anyone who had to actually take it! A B is good, because it was so hard; I think I got a B in the paper itself.

Impressive getting an A in it! Was it true that people came out crying? My maths teacher said that some did...
yorkshirelass
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think Maths GCSEs are easier than in the past though - I've seen past papers that I wasn't able to even attempt. I got an A in my Maths GCSE but I don't have a mathematical bone in my body.
harr
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd like to see this paper. Are you all talking about 2004 Edexcel?

Edit: The Edexcel site doesn't want me to look at past papers. Does anyone have a link to it?
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Goodfella333)
Which being?

If 2003, that would go on to explain why I got an 'A' despite answering only one-third of the paper.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by splorgie)
I took that as a practise paper! I got something appalling in it, and I would just like to say that my entire Maths set pities anyone who had to actually take it! A B is good, because it was so hard; I think I got a B in the paper itself.

Impressive getting an A in it! Was it true that people came out crying? My maths teacher said that some did...
Well, I only got an A in it by like 2 marks lol, I really did scrape it, which means I probably got 46% :p: I didn't come out crying, I managed to hold back the tears until I got home but I think a few people who took higher did.
yorkshirelass
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by harr)
I'd like to see this paper. Are you all talking about 2004 Edexcel?

Edit: The Edexcel site doesn't want me to look at past papers. Does anyone have a link to it?
Yep, Edexcel in 2004. I don't know how to look at past papers online, sorry.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?