61.83%
No (50)
38.17%
harr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Edexcel have password protected their past papers... I haven't been able to find any on google. All I could find was model answers (which I can't really judge the difficulty from).
brimstone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by harr)
I'm more worried about the C boundary. 13% is ridiculously low, if someone is getting that I would question why they are doing higher tier.
It was an INCREDIBLY hard paper. We did it as a mock ... I scraped a B as usual :rolleyes:
calcium878
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
I would just like to defend my B in Edexcel maths, taken in 2004, by pointing out that the exams were bloody hard that year, much harder than any past papers we'd done, and all the teachers agreed they were the hardest GCSE maths exams they'd ever seen. Although I actually scraped an A in the exams and was brought down to a mid B by my high C grade coursework :mad: but my point still stands :p:
Hence the reason, I feel some would agree, the 2005 papers were easier, to compensate for that.
Cataclysm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The 2006 in retrospect were "weird" to compensate for the lack of weirdness that was not present in previous years. The hard questions seemed so easy that at one point I made sure that it was the Higher Tier and that if I was letting myself get tricked by the question.
calcium878
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Indeed, they had a certain slant this year which made them different. Could have been better, but they also could have been much, much worse.
michaelyus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I only got 63.5% for that 2004 Edexcel Maths papers in my mocks in January year 10. That cannot have been an A though.

I did French in yr8 (A*), Spanish in yr9 (A), Double Science in yr9 (A*, but now that AQA is withdrawing it everyone in the year below us gets to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics), and English Language in yr10 (pending - not Literature I'm afraid).
Cataclysm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
63.5% in that exam1 = A* (that should boost your ego a bit :p:)

1In that exam is Edexcel June 2004 Higher Maths.
k-boz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by michaelyus)
I only got 63.5% for that 2004 Edexcel Maths papers in my mocks in January year 10. That cannot have been an A though.

I did French in yr8 (A*), Spanish in yr9 (A), Double Science in yr9 (A*, but now that AQA is withdrawing it everyone in the year below us gets to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics), and English Language in yr10 (pending - not Literature I'm afraid).
A* FRENCH in year 8!?!!?! if ur not french and/or fluent, thats impossible lol!

i start year 11 in septemeber , did 3 gcse's early french, maths (omg calculator paper was soooo damn easy, hope my crapness in paper 1 doesnt bring me down:confused: ) and i did the RS short course. Hope i get 3 A*'s, as i know i'm capable of it. But bring on august 24th i guess.
lovers in japan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, I only got an A in it by like 2 marks lol, I really did scrape it, which means I probably got 46% :p: I didn't come out crying, I managed to hold back the tears until I got home but I think a few people who took higher did.
I wish I'd been able to photocopy all the past papers... My teacher made us all make a folder full of past papers which she gave us, but we had to give them back, along with the answers on Book Return day. But now I wish I'd been able to keep them... if only to blackmail next year's Year 11s with :p:

Well done for not crying, I would have, we found it hard enough when the whole class was working together on it in a cover lesson...even more hard with a sadistic teacher who refused to let us even whisper, so we ended up crawling across the floor to various people's desks to either tell them the answer or get the answer.
Horrorshow
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I did all my gcse's in yr 10 (coz thats what all the people in the top sets at my school HAVE to do. State school this is.

I got A*'s in English Lang and French, A's in Business studies, History, German, Maths and English Lit, and B's in Double science and food tech .

I dont think it was a bad set of results, but it always leaves me thinking how well i would have done had i taken them all in yr 11. I hope unis will take this into account :rolleyes:
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nathanley)
I did all my gcse's in yr 10 (coz thats what all the people in the top sets at my school HAVE to do. State school this is.

I got A*'s in English Lang and French, A's in Business studies, History, German, Maths and English Lit, and B's in Double science and food tech .

I dont think it was a bad set of results, but it always leaves me thinking how well i would have done had i taken them all in yr 11. I hope unis will take this into account :rolleyes:
That's so strange! What do the school gain by making so many people do all their GCSEs in a year? It must have a pretty negative impact on results and usually schools are pretty obsessed with league tables. A state school as well! Usually private schools are the ones to offer early GCSEs, and even then no more than about 3. Definitely get it mentioned in your reference.
xsbrx
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i did my french GCSE in year 10. out of 20 us there was 19 A* and 1 A so good results really! although i hated being in a class where some of the people were fluent......it was really intimidating
Forester
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That's so strange! What do the school gain by making so many people do all their GCSEs in a year? It must have a pretty negative impact on results and usually schools are pretty obsessed with league tables. A state school as well! Usually private schools are the ones to offer early GCSEs, and even then no more than about 3. Definitely get it mentioned in your reference.
well here in new zealand, we only take 5 igcses in yr 11...we're so lucky.
Top sets have to sit igcse english, combined science and maths in yr 10.
I got A* for maths, A for eng lang and science.
Thought cambridge marked pretty harsh
I'm currently taking AS maths, AS eng lit, IGCSE co-ordinated science and latin. thats the only subjects and im yr 11
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nathanley)

So does that mean you effectively skip a year and get into uni a year early? Hmm... it seems rather pointless in the long run!
iissmart
Report 12 years ago
ihavent yet but i am hoping to do maths or ict GCSEs during the summer, im year9 when i get back to school after holiday
Horrorshow
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Definitely get it mentioned in your reference.
I'll make sure it is. I think the main motivation behind it is a fund raising exercise by accelerating people and getting them onto AS Levels early
harr
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What do the school gain by making so many people do all their GCSEs in a year? It must have a pretty negative impact on results and usually schools are pretty obsessed with league tables.
I don't know how it works in that person's case, but letting the best pupils take GCSEs early could benefit the schools position in A level leagure tables even if not for GCSEs. If these pupils go onto do A levels for the next 3 years the school could have them take more than would usually be taken. The more A levels a school's best pupils take the higher the proportion of high grades, which could benefit a school if the league table is based upon say percentage of results which are As or Bs. Or they may take the same number of subjects just stretched over 3 years so the results are better. Of course if they only do 2 years of A levels the school wouldn't benefit in any way league table-wise, so it depends on what the school do after having the GCSEs a year early.

Plus they aren't necessarily doing GCSEs in a year. They could start in year 8 (I started double award science in year 8 and got A*s in both modules that I took, but then the school decided to switch to seperate award) and study for GCSEs for 3 years. This may make up for taking the GCSEs a year early.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by harr)
I don't know how it works in that person's case, but letting the best pupils take GCSEs early could benefit the schools position in A level leagure tables even if not for GCSEs. If these pupils go onto do A levels for the next 3 years the school could have them take more than would usually be taken. The more A levels a school's best pupils take the higher the proportion of high grades, which could benefit a school if the league table is based upon say percentage of results which are As or Bs. Or they may take the same number of subjects just stretched over 3 years so the results are better. Of course if they only do 2 years of A levels the school wouldn't benefit in any way league table-wise, so it depends on what the school do after having the GCSEs a year early.

Plus they aren't necessarily doing GCSEs in a year. They could start in year 8 (I started double award science in year 8 and got A*s in both modules that I took, but then the school decided to switch to seperate award) and study for GCSEs for 3 years. This may make up for taking the GCSEs a year early.
I suppose that makes sense, but I still think it's completely unfair when schools are more concerned with their precious league table positions than the welfare of their students :mad: Fair enough, some may want to take their GCSEs and A-levels early so that they can then progress to university a year early, but it may have a negative impact on their grades and some universities won't accept under 18s anyway. Even for those that do, they wouldn't be able to have a normal social life with their new friends if they couldn't get into any pubs or clubs. It should at least be an option rather than compulsory. Taking a large number of A-levels would have no benefit whatsoever for the student and would just put them under loads of unnecessary pressure, whilst taking a standard number of A-levels over 3 years might not be looked upon favourably by some universities and students bright enough to take GCSEs early should also be bright enough to take A-levels early.

What about Key Stage 3 though? Aren't state schools obliged to cover that and sit the SATs? I suppose bright pupils could get through it in 2 years, sit the exams at the end of Year 8 and then start GCSEs in Year 9, which would give them the standard 2 years to complete.
harr
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What about Key Stage 3 though? Aren't state schools obliged to cover that and sit the SATs?
I don't know if state schools have to do the SATs or not. However a lot of GCSE builds upon this, so the school could go straight to GCSE and cover SATs within the GCSE course (i.e. study the same texts in English for both the SATs and GCSEs). I'd have thought this would be possible, though I suppose it might not be. I was only in a (proper) state school for Key Stage 1+2 (and that wasn't mainland UK: the system may be slightly different here), so I don't really know much about what you have to do concerning Key Stage 3 (I didn't sit the science SATs, the maths SATs were just used to put people into sets and the English SAT results were ignored completely).
lovers in japan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My old state school did KS1 SATs, my first private school did KS2, but my current school doesn't do KS3. KS2 SATs were quite important, because normally we had exams twice yearly, but in Yr6 we only had SATs, so they were used to see how well we were doing.

Splorgie (still proud of her 5,5,6 after all these years :p:)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Do you have any savings?