Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My family and some other people I know keep telling me that maths is hard, but I appiled for this course anyway.
    Can someone please tell what Statistics is actually like, so I can get a glipmse of what is it going to be like when i study it.

Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    Well everyone said the same to me too, but it depends on you as an individual and your abilities. In my opinion, statistics is only hard if you don't revise...like most subjects. You need to memorise a few formulas here and there and how to apply them, but that's pretty much it!

ReputationRep:
    Did you do statistics GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it now, if you have any questions. It's not difficult, but there are a few things to get your head around. Again, it's just practise and learning things If you found GCSE ok, you'll probably be fine with A level maths

ReputationRep:
    statistics is not hard and that's coming from a guy who is self studying and got c in maths at gcse, but im not sure that properly because i am revising allot more frequent than i use to do, i do about about 2.5h a day

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing maths and further maths for A-level and I have to do 2 stats modules for further maths and I do mechanics and pure maths for my maths A-level. Stats is by far the easiest out of stats, mechanics and pure! (even though pure maths is a lot more interesting)
    As someone said earlier, all you really have to do is learn a few formulas and how to apply them, other than that it's easy! As long as you revise it really isn't hard at all. Good luck xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying S1, part of edexcel, for my further maths

I'd say it is a very useful module, can't say much about the others, but if you do not feel confident about study pure maths from gcse, which is like almost everything (vectors, algebra, trigonometry, geometry, and you get into many more topics) but you want to study maths to a higher level, then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    No hard in a sense just complex at first soo many people I have met backed out just fight through it will get better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo09)
    Does this mean that it will include such areas already covered, like quality control, spearmans rank correlation etc.?
    I did Edexcel Stats Unit 1 Modular. Histograms, Frequency Tables, Circumalative Frequency, correlations will come up. Box plots will also come up.

What exam board do you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsMind)
    I did Edexcel Stats Unit 1 Modular. Histograms, Frequency Tables, Circumalative Frequency, correlations will come up. Box plots will also come up.

What exam board do you do?
    Edexcel as well.

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel as well.
    Edexcel Linear GCSE, if so, most will come up in the AS Course, some in S1, S2 and S3, but the things ive mentioned above will be repeated. A few Chapters are new, I have finished S1 and we aare now moving onto S2.

Have you seen the specification, linked above?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsMind)
    Edexcel Linear GCSE, if so, most will come up in the AS Course, some in S1, S2 and S3, but the things ive mentioned above will be repeated. A few Chapters are new, I have finished S1 and we aare now moving onto S2.

Have you seen the specification, linked above?
    Currently looking at it, its given me a good insight as to what "relevant" topics need to be looked at, so thank you, yes it helped

ReputationRep:
    Currently looking at it, its given me a good insight as to what "relevant" topics need to be looked at, so thank you, yes it helped
    Youre Welcome, Ive done the course, so any questions please ask

ReputationRep:
    Yep, stats is definitely doable for a mathematically minded person!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 16, 2013

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.