English Watch

rls123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
really struggling with how to structure a critical essay...any help would be much appreciated
Student_27
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you need to include a balanced argument?

Posted from TSR Mobile
GeschichteJunge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For the critical essays should we learn flexible quotes that will be usable for all essay questions that we choose to do in the exam? Because I don't know what ones to choose
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rls123)
really struggling with how to structure a critical essay...any help would be much appreciated
It depends on the topic. But in general, I would recommend you to structure your arguments by alternate pro and cons: First you name an argument, then a counter argument. That is a very useful method to give your essay a structure, especially it is a controversial topic.

Otherwise you should keep an eye to structure you essay in an introduction, main part and a conclusion.
rls123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
It depends on the topic. But in general, I would recommend you to structure your arguments by alternate pro and cons: First you name an argument, then a counter argument. That is a very useful method to give your essay a structure, especially it is a controversial topic.

Otherwise you should keep an eye to structure you essay in an introduction, main part and a conclusion.

yeah but the main problem is, is that i dont even know how to structure the essay or how to use the question in each paragraph to answer the question (my teacher hasnt taught my class this so we're all in the dark on HOW to write the essay) heeelp
GeschichteJunge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yeah but the main problem is, is that i dont even know how to structure the essay or how to use the question in each paragraph to answer the question (my teacher hasnt taught my class this so we're all in the dark on HOW to write the essay) heeelp
Do you know how to identify the right quotations to use?:/ that's what I'm paranoid about..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Perhaps you can use expressions to give your essay a proper structure? Examples:

- First of all...
- If I consider...
- In the one hand/in the other hand...
- Let me explain...

and so on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (92)
13.75%
The paper was reasonable (369)
55.16%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
23.47%
It was TERRIBLE (51)
7.62%

Watched Threads