The Student Room Group

i DONT UNDERSTAND LOGERITM GRAPHS

Why does log with a even base number have to have a absolute value. please explain.
like: logbase2x^2 to be the same as 2logbase|X|
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ScholarlyBS
why does log with a even number, idk whick number? base?) has to have a absolute value. please explain.

You can't spell logarithm either.

I'm not sure what you are saying as log212\log_2 \frac{1}{2} has an even base but a negative value.
Reply 2
Original post by ScholarlyBS
why does log with a even number, idk whick number? base?) has to have a absolute value. please explain.

If you rephrase your question in normal English I'm sure someone will be able to help you :smile:
Reply 3
I think he means why, when doing some logarithm questions like:

dy/dx=1/x

Why does

y=ln|x|+c and not just lnx+c
" i DONT UNDERSTAND LOGERITM GRAPHSwhy does log with a even number, idk whick number? base?) has to have a absolute value. please explain."

=
"I don't understand Logarithm Graphs
Why do all logs, even if the number is positive (not sure of what the number is called, base perhaps?), have to be written with the absolute/mod signs?
Please explain.
I.e Why is 1x dx=lnx+C\displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{x} \ dx=ln|x|+C even if x<0x<0? Aren't the modulus signs then redundant? "
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Kezza Wilson
" i DONT UNDERSTAND LOGERITM GRAPHSwhy does log with a even number, idk whick number? base?) has to have a absolute value. please explain."

=
"I don't understand Logarithm Graphs
Why do all logs, even if the number is positive (not sure of what the number is called, base perhaps?), have to be written with the absolute/mod signs?
Please explain.
I.e Why is 1x dx=lnx+C\displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{x} \ dx=ln|x|+C even if x<0x<0? Aren't the modulus signs then redundant? "

He pressed caps lock and proceeded to type the title only to instinctively press shift to write "I" which caused the "I" to be in lowercase and the rest of the title in upper case. Also who doesn't use Google Chrome's spell checker?
Original post by Dilzo999
He pressed caps lock and proceeded to type the title only to instinctively press shift to write "I" which caused the "I" to be in lowercase and the rest of the title in upper case. Also who doesn't use Google Chrome's spell checker?

I agree with your first supposition.
As for the latter, the OP clearly :wink:.
Reply 7
Original post by Liamnut
I think he means why, when doing some logarithm questions like:

dy/dx=1/x

Why does

y=ln|x|+c and not just lnx+c

Aha, so the game is to make up your own interpretation of the question and answer that one - I should have realized :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest