Derby v Manchester Met v Sheffield Hallam v Nottingham Trent

Watch
N4W4Z
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,
I'm currently in year 13 studying Business, law & Government & politics and am expwcted around 300 ucas points. I am planning on studying law (LLB) next year and have selected; The university of Derby, MMU, Nottingham Trent, Sheffield hallam and Nottingham Trent, I have picked these as my options as they are all around the 300 ucas ponits mark and I kinda need sone help considering myy school's ucas deadline is tomorrow.

After looking at various university league tables for law I have picked Derby as my preffered option as it it fairly high in standings.

Although I have never been to any of the universities listed (except for MMU) I have gathered that Derby is not the best of cites nor does it have the best of facilities, whereas Nottingham Trent and Sheffield hallam are commended for its student life and I dont want to find myself stuck at a uni for the next 3 years hating the experience and beong miserable.

I plan on going to the university of derby in a couple of months on an open day and seeing for myslef what its actually like but from what I've heard and seen online, it honestly doesn't look like the best of options. (No offenec)

IS THERE ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME?!?

Thanks.
Flying Duck
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're at the application stage then you don't yet have a preferred option - what you have are 5 courses you are applying for.

Put your application in, and go and visit all five unis before the deadline for replying to offers. Then you can make an informed choice about where you want to spend the next 3 years of your life.
N4W4Z
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Flying Duck)
If you're at the application stage then you don't yet have a preferred option - what you have are 5 courses you are applying for.

Put your application in, and go and visit all five unis before the deadline for replying to offers. Then you can make an informed choice about where you want to spend the next 3 years of your life.
When I stated derby as my 'preffered' option I ment like personally, it would be my 1st choice, considering it out preforms the other options.

Well I'm going to be vistiting derby in the next couple of months however Nottingham trent and Sheffield dont have an open day until around june time. So I was kinda hoping for someone online to shed some insight

Flying Duck
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nottingham & Sheffield definitely have bigger student populations and would be more lively.

You may find that when they make you an offer they invite you to a day for those holding offers.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by N4W4Z)
When I stated derby as my 'preffered' option I ment like personally, it would be my 1st choice, considering it out preforms the other options.

Well I'm going to be vistiting derby in the next couple of months however Nottingham trent and Sheffield dont have an open day until around june time. So I was kinda hoping for someone online to shed some insight

Trent have an open day on 12th March

http://www.ntu.ac.uk/apps/events/3/h..._12_march_2014

Hallam call them Course Information Days. You need to phone to find out when the one is for law. Booking opens January.

http://www.shu.ac.uk/opendays/about-events

Of the three, Trent has the best reputation in law and Derby the weakest, though there is no doubt that some Derby law graduates have done very well for themselves.
theateam121
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't advise Derby to many people. I only go up there one a month but the university is small and outdated. The lecturers are good, however that's about all it has going for it.

One of my closest friends is in Nottingham Trent and she loves it, I've only ever visited the campus for University of Nottingham so I can't shed light on the actual university. I do know it has a pretty amazing student life as you've got the two universities in the one city and we've had some great nights out there.
graceey_bear
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a friend doing law at Trent and he loves it! I can speak for the rude not life though I'm at the other uni in nottingham. Brilliant social life loads of stuff for students to do! plenty of clubs& bars! the towns good and has alright transport links

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads