The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

What can I do to improve my chances of getting in?

I'm a student in year 12 and i have begun to look into courses for university applications next year. The course that is really taking my eye is management.
http://www.wbs.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/management/requirements/

There are no specific A-level subject requirements but when i checked on which uni the stats showed in terms of A-level courses:
Mathematics 72%
Most common grade was A (68%)
Economics 40%
Most common grade was A (65%)
Business Studies 30%
Most common grade was A (73%)

The worrying part is in not doing any of those courses, in doing History, Philosophy, Biology, English Literature.

So my main question was, what can I do(e.g. Courses events) that will seriously strengthen my application?
Reply 1
Original post by SeneBase
I'm a student in year 12 and i have begun to look into courses for university applications next year. The course that is really taking my eye is management.

There are no specific A-level subject requirements but when i checked on which uni the stats showed in terms of A-level courses:
Mathematics 72%
Economics 40%
Business Studies 30%

The worrying part is in not doing any of those courses, in doing History, Philosophy, Biology, English Literature.

So my main question was, what can I do(e.g. Courses events) that will seriously strengthen my application?

Met a few people at the Warwick open day that hadn't done any related business subjects, so I think you should be okay. I think the main thing would be to explain in your PS why you want to study management, despite having not studied anything related to it - but if you have strong grades and personal statement, you should be fine.

Things to strengthen your application - strong AS grades, strong predicted A2 grades, work experience related to business/finance, taking part in business or finance competitions, reading books related to a certain topic within business (e.g. strategy, ops man) and evaluating that in your PS. Essentially you need a strong personal statement that highlights your enthusiasm for the subject - there's a lot of info on the WBS website you can use.

PM me if you have any questions, I have an unconditional offer to study International Management at WBS next year.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Thanks man that's really reassuring! Yeah I'll be certain to PM you
Reply 3
Original post by SeneBase

Mathematics 72%
Economics 40%
Business Studies 30%

The strongest A levels you could take is Maths, Further Maths, Economics and anything else. You could also apply to LSE Management with that.

But your A levels are probably fine. I would reconsider maths, though.

I would say to strengthen your application, try to get some sort of work experience (it is not mandatory), but especially read lots of books about your subject and attend/watch online lectures (LSE do some good ones online). Not much else will better your application. You could do the usual DofE but it's kinda useless
I want to study BSc Economics
My grades is AS were: Accounts -a, Business-a, Economics-a, Maths-b, Environmental Management-a, AICT-a. And I bagged the first place in India among best four cambridge AS Levels.

My grades in Alevels are expected to be quite similar.

Do you think I'll get an offer from or should I not bother applying? Please help!

Quick Reply

Latest