The Student Room Group

Not sure if I should study nursing

I am going to apply for universities next year but I have no clue on what to do. I thought about criminology but the sector is taught and hard to find jobs. I want to study nursing on the other hand Im scared to do needles that I might hurt someone, even the process scares me. Will I get over it once I gain experience?
(edited 10 years ago)
I study children's nursing and I still deal with children "pissing" themselves and I change beds.

I also give bed baths too! I change the sheets with the patient still on the bed. I change wet\soiled sheets etc.

If you don't have your heart in it they'll see straight through you at the interview process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
As a children's nurse you will still be expected to provide total care for your patients, that includes assisting with personal hygiene and changing beds where required.

I think that you should really research all of your choices so that you know whats involved.
Original post by studentoflondon
Also child nursing is in my interest, as I wont be changing bed sheets and dealing with people who piss themselves etc. I just want to be on my task which is to deal with children and their illnesses, can anyone help me pleaseee???

This. Annoys me. I think you need to have a long hard think about what you want to do and why. Get experience in fields you're interested in before you commit to a course and waste money and time. Children still urinate and still need bed bathing etc..nursing isnt some job like scrubs or casulty..if you want to do it look into it more and volunteer in a ward etc and hopefully that should help you. Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Seems like you not quite sure what you want to do. In that case it might be a bad idea to apply for such a strictly vocational subject like nursing. Perhaps you can study something non-vocational, and do nursing post grad if you decide you till want it? Make sure you do your work experience, and study all the kinds of careers and options ahead properly before you decide.
Reply 5
Original post by graceey_bear
I study children's nursing and I still deal with children "pissing" themselves and I change beds.

I also give bed baths too! I change the sheets with the patient still on the bed. I change wet\soiled sheets etc.

If you don't have your heart in it they'll see straight through you at the interview process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been accepted on an adults course even though your childs... is there anything that you've come across that you don't like now being a nurse and the anything you don't partculary like or didn't know before going on the course?. Kind regards
Reply 6
this can apply to anyone who replys to this thread about nursing about what you think of it and any bad experiences etc x
Original post by studentoflondon
I am going to apply for universities next year but I have no clue on what to do. I thought about criminology but the sector is taught and hard to find jobs. I want to study nursing on the other hand Im scared to do needles that I might hurt someone, even the process scares me. Will I get over it once I gain experience?

I think you need to do some research on what you want to do for the rest of your life.
Reply 8
you should research about the career fully before making decisions and you have to be committed to what you want to do, nothing is easy.
Reply 9
You need EXPERIENCE, nothing else will help you make that decision. Volunteer in a hospital setting for a couple weeks and look deeper into what branch suits you.
Reply 10
Go get some work experience. As much as you can. Ask yourself if that's something you want to go into, and if so you know nursing is right for you.
Changing beds and giving personal care is what a nurse does. In any branch - adult/mental health/children's/learning disabilities. That's what the problem is at the moment due to the media most people think that nurses on degree courses think of themselves as too important to do tasks like this as it is beneath them. We don't need nurses like that we need nurses who are compassionate and will do all these tasks because it is what has to be done. It's what the job is - meeting people's needs. I know because I'm a student nurse. It's incredibly challenging both in your professional life & your personal life. Professional because you are constantly challenged and there are many, many difficult situations you will find yourself in. And there will be many times you will be on the brink of quitting, you'll wonder what the hell you're doing there. And that relative shouting at you or the nurse sister looking at you like you're an alien from outer space because you made a simple mistake because you're just so tired and so overwhelmed with information but trying to do a good job doesn't matter, because you're working for the patients. And their well being is why you're doing what you do. It's hard on your personal life because you will have difficult shift patterns which won't fit in with what you want to do. You no longer have freedom and you will probably have a few 4.30am alarms to set and 12 hour shifts to complete. You'll let plenty of your friends or family down because you can't go out with them and can't make everyone's birthdays. It's such a tough course and people just don't realise. Sorry for the rant, but I feel really passionately about this. If you're not sure if you should study nursing.. don't. That's my advice.
Original post by Eroyle6
I've been accepted on an adults course even though your childs... is there anything that you've come across that you don't like now being a nurse and the anything you don't partculary like or didn't know before going on the course?. Kind regards

in answer to your question.. nope. I love every aspect!

When I was in yr10 at school I was in and put of hospital until year 12. The girls who looked after me were children's nurses and they told me everything!!! From there essays to the practical side. So I we pretty prepared for everything.

You gotta remember that the degree is the theory side and the practical side is your RCN qualification. So it is really heavy essay based! but you learn most of it in practice. :smile:

Plenty of people have dropped out and it's only week 13! :smile: lots of people drop out because there "too posh to wash" :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
in answer to your question.. nope. I love every aspect!

When I was in yr10 at school I was in and put of hospital until year 12. The girls who looked after me were children's nurses and they told me everything!!! From there essays to the practical side. So I we pretty prepared for everything.

You gotta remember that the degree is the theory side and the practical side is your RCN qualification. So it is really heavy essay based! but you learn most of it in practice. :smile:

Plenty of people have dropped out and it's only week 13! :smile: lots of people drop out because there "too posh to wash" :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah you really think the whole too posh to wash is why they dropped out how odd that they didn't know they'd be doing it in the first place I read a lot about that. in the media any hows I just hope I have time for my dad who has cancer I hope they will understand. some situations but I know I have to be there for all my placements. thanks for the stories keep em coming cheers
Original post by Eroyle6
Ah you really think the whole too posh to wash is why they dropped out how odd that they didn't know they'd be doing it in the first place I read a lot about that. in the media any hows I just hope I have time for my dad who has cancer I hope they will understand. some situations but I know I have to be there for all my placements. thanks for the stories keep em coming cheers

I'm being serious. Her words were that she didn't think she'd be doing washes that "personal" on patient and believed she was above that and it was a HCA job, :smile: and the course is full on for the first month and then calms down. I generally have 1 half day and Wednesday off. for placements if there 12.5 hr shifts il do 3 a week :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I'm being serious. Her words were that she didn't think she'd be doing washes that "personal" on patient and believed she was above that and it was a HCA job, :smile: and the course is full on for the first month and then calms down. I generally have 1 half day and Wednesday off. for placements if there 12.5 hr shifts il do 3 a week :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

so are you at Birmingham city uni I start in less then a week sorry for late reply. do you mean 12.5 hours for three days in a week? cos I'd love that. And ye I new about washing people also washing a deceased perso too before the course. but if you go to bcu I would love more info. thank you for your advice. :smile:x
Reply 16

I'm not too sure what you mean by an RCN qualification. The RCN is the Royal College of Nursing, who are a professional body and a union. Do you mean someone's registration as an RN? If so, you need both theory and practice to gain it, not just the practical side. It's why the NMC expect you to have done at least 2300 hours of each.

Original post by Eroyle6
so are you at Birmingham city uni I start in less then a week sorry for late reply. do you mean 12.5 hours for three days in a week? cos I'd love that. And ye I new about washing people also washing a deceased perso too before the course. but if you go to bcu I would love more info. thank you for your advice. :smile:x

Placement hours vary depending on the type of area and what shifts they will allow you to do. I've worked in one area where students aren't allowed to work the 12.5 hour shifts, working short shifts exposes them to much more variety. Out in the community shifts are different again. In the end, if you have commitments outside of placement/uni, they can be flexible, but that depends on each individual area. In the end you have to work with your mentor for two thirds of your placement.
Reply 17
Original post by moonkatt
I'm not too sure what you mean by an RCN qualification. The RCN is the Royal College of Nursing, who are a professional body and a union. Do you mean someone's registration as an RN? If so, you need both theory and practice to gain it, not just the practical side. It's why the NMC expect you to have done at least 2300 hours of each.

Placement hours vary depending on the type of area and what shifts they will allow you to do. I've worked in one area where students aren't allowed to work the 12.5 hour shifts, working short shifts exposes them to much more variety. Out in the community shifts are different again. In the end, if you have commitments outside of placement/uni, they can be flexible, but that depends on each individual area. In the end you have to work with your mentor for two thirds of your placement.

Erm ok I meant when your qualified really. about the three days a week. I'd like to do more hospital bases work. I will find out one day heh I hope i'll manage:smile: x
Reply 18
Original post by Eroyle6
Erm ok I meant when your qualified really. about the three days a week. I'd like to do more hospital bases work. I will find out one day heh I hope i'll manage:smile: x

The shifts vary from hospital to hospital and from ward to ward in some places. A lot of hospitals have gone for the 12.5 hour long day now though.
Original post by Eroyle6

no I'm at university of nottingham :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending