The Student Room Group

IELTS TRF Number

Hi!
I just took the IELTS test yesterday (thankfully I think I did great). I won't have my results until January, but I was thinking maybe I could already enter my IELTS TRF number on the UCAS website. However, I'm not sure if I do have it. Is this the same as my candidate number, or will I get it at the same time as I get my results?
Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I recommend not doing that,universities might check your application before your ielts result is received and they might find that weird.(just my opinion anyway)

Universities would still consider your application in the same manner either you add your ielts result or you don't.

May you please tell me how was the writting section ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by laur21

May you please tell me how was the writting section ?

Yes, I should probably better wait until I get my results.
For the writing section, there was a first section where we had to analyse and describe a document which consisted of 3 maps of the same city but from different years. So, I think you had to say what changed over time and what stayed the same.
For the second section, we had to think about a question, which was about the use of energy and how some companies have decided to close down on one day per week in order to consume less energy. We had to think about that, and say if we thought this development bear more advantages than disadvantages. :smile:
Reply 3
Ow..Nice

Thank you very much
Reply 4
Original post by leacor
Hi!
I just took the IELTS test yesterday (thankfully I think I did great). I won't have my results until January, but I was thinking maybe I could already enter my IELTS TRF number on the UCAS website. However, I'm not sure if I do have it. Is this the same as my candidate number, or will I get it at the same time as I get my results?
Thanks! :smile:

I applied without the IELTS and have already received 3 offers so far :wink: You still have time until 31st August to provide all qualifications required!
I'm an international student as well, from Germany, as you can see, and I'm kind of worried about the entire test procedure -.-
Do you think it was hard or doable? And did you have to struggle in the listening section?
How did you feel during the speaking part?

Sorry for all the questions :colondollar:

PS: I'm gonna take the test on 25th January 2014
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Hanover
I applied without the IELTS and have already received 3 offers so far :wink: You still have time until 31st August to provide all qualifications required!
I'm an international student as well, from Germany, as you can see, and I'm kind of worried about the entire test procedure -.-
Do you think it was hard or doable? And did you have to struggle in the listening section?
How did you feel during the speaking part?

Sorry for all the questions :colondollar:

PS: I'm gonna take the test on 25th January 2014

If you want we can practice speaking via skype,I am also going to take Ielts on 18 of January and I'm a little bit affraid too,I hate the listenning section the most.Leave me a message if you want.

@Ieacor

It would be great to hear more about your Ielts test experience,especially what Hanover asked.
Reply 6
Original post by laur21
If you want we can practice speaking via skype,I am also going to take Ielts on 18 of January and I'm a little bit affraid too,I hate the listenning section the most.Leave me a message if you want.

Thank you so much! I'll send you a PM after that date then. I also hate the listening part most because if you can't hear a word, there is no second chance to listen again! Since some accents can be very unclear, I'm so afraid!!
Where are you going to take the test may I ask?
Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Hanover
Thank you so much! I'll send you a PM after that date then. I also hate the listening part most because if you can't hear a word, there is no second chance to listen again! Since some accents can be very unclear, I'm so afraid!!
Where are you going to take the test may I ask?
Good luck!

Well..I live in Romania, so Bucharest is going to be the town in which i'll take the test.
I'm affraid because they might have some cheap,useless speakers and I don't want to loose this huge opportunity just because they are money grubbers.

Btw, What score in Ielts do you need?
Reply 8
Original post by laur21
Well..I live in Romania, so Bucharest is going to be the town in which i'll take the test.
I'm affraid because they might have some cheap,useless speakers and I don't want to loose this huge opportunity just because they are money grubbers.

Btw, What score in Ielts do you need?

Oh I see, I'm gonna take the test in Hannover :smile:
I'm just a bit worried that the testing person might be too professional and therefore strict with grading :s-smilie:
I need at least 6.5 in overall, but no section below 6. However, I'm aiming for 7 cause I believe I'm pretty good in English, not really sure how they'll look at me though.
Reply 9
So far, Have you received offers from uni?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by laur21
So far, Have you received offers from uni?

Yes, I've received offers from Manchester, Lancaster and Queen Mary
all requiring at least 6.5 in overall :smile:
You?
Reply 11
I sent my application yesterday evening and i received just 3 letters of acknowledgement, but I'm looking forward for more emails.
How long did it takes before you received your first offer?
I need only 6 with 5.5 in all modules or ,at least, that's what universities said.
I have applied for civil engineering at Brunel, Greenwich, west london ,Portsmouth and city.http://www.ielts-blog.com/ielts-writing-samples/ielts-essays-band-6/ielts-essay-topic-reasons-to-attend-college/
I think my writing skills are better than this,but sadly I don't know how is the examimator like.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by laur21
I sent my application yesterday evening and i received just 3 letters of acknowledgement, but I'm looking forward for more emails.
How long did it takes before you received your first offer?
I need only 6 with 5.5 in all modules or ,at least, that's what universities said.
I have applied for civil engineering at Brunel, Greenwich, west london ,Portsmouth and city.http://www.ielts-blog.com/ielts-writing-samples/ielts-essays-band-6/ielts-essay-topic-reasons-to-attend-college/
I think my writing skills are better than this,but sadly I don't know how is the examimator like.

It took me 10 days until I received my first offer (from Manchester).
After 3 weeks Lancaster & Queen Mary. Now (after almost 5 weeks), I'm still waiting for Cass & York :angry:

I think you may receive an offer earlier since all the unis you mentioned tend to give out offers very quickly!! Probably after 3 days up to 1 week.
Reply 13
Original post by laur21
It would be great to hear more about your Ielts test experience,especially what Hanover asked.

Don't worry guys! I was so nervous too, especially for the listening section, but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I practiced beforehand with the help of this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/IELTS-Practice-Tests-Plus-Pack/dp/1405833122/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1387495229&sr=8-4&keywords=ielts+2 , which comes with a CD. There are quite a few samples listening and reading tests, as well as writing and speaking sections with directions to help you. I can tell you that the actual IELTS test was, I found, much easier than what I expected it to be in comparison to this book. I think the tests in this book are more difficult than the real IELTS test, but that's a good thing because if you get a good score on these mock tests, you'll probably get an even higher score on the real exam.
Anyway.. I definitely thing this is doable, but, I won't get my result until January 6, so, finger crossed!
For the speaking part, I was nervous so I think I didn't do as best as I could have, but overall it was okay. The examiner was really nice, he was from Britain I believe, and at the end he stopped recording and just asked me random questions about where I wanted to go for University. Personally, my examiner began by asking me personal questions: my name, where I live, my hobbies, etc. Then, he'll give you a particular subject you'll have to talk about (you have 1 minute to think about it), and he'll probably ask you a few more questions once you're done talking about this subject.

I read through your messages and I was wondering, (Hanover) how did you apply to universities without using the UCAS website? Because, I looked on the universities' website where I'm applying, and I thought you could only apply through UCAS when you're a foreign student.
I also have a question for laur21, did you send your application before getting your IELTS score then? Do you think I should just wait until I get mine, and then send it (around January 10) so that they'll know my IELTS score right away? Because on the UCAS it says you have to send your application before January 15.
Thanks!
Reply 14
Original post by leacor

I read through your messages and I was wondering, (Hanover) how did you apply to universities without using the UCAS website? Because, I looked on the universities' website where I'm applying, and I thought you could only apply through UCAS when you're a foreign student.

Excuse me, where did you read that I didn't apply through UCAS?:eek:
I did, but without the IELTS results and have received 4 offers by now..
Reply 15
Original post by Hanover

Original post by laur21

I took the test in September and got 8.0.
A very good website I recommend is http://www.ieltsbuddy.com/ielts-practice.html as it has every part of IELTS covered. I used it alongside a book my teacher recommended me. It really helped me with writing, my weakest section.
Listening was easy for me, got 9.0. Just focus and listen very carefully, remember to read as much as you can during the pauses between recordings and think of the tense and kind of word they expect.
Reading was good, got 8.5. Not sure what advice to give, read very carefully and don't make assumptions, especially in T/F/NG questions.
Writing didn't go as expected, got 7.0. Be quick and do lots of practice on all kinds of topics. My mark dropped because I went a bit off topic in Part 2, instead of writing about advantages and disadvantages, I focused on the problems and ways of tackling them. I also didn't finish my last sentence of part 1. So keep in mind what the question is asking for.
Speaking was alright, got 8.0. The topics I got didn't appeal to me, the examiner asked me about fashion and extreme sports. Remember to relax and don't lie, as it'll make answering any further questions a real pain.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
you have to wait until you receive results , and you will find TRF (Test Report From) number at the right bottom of the certificate

https://secure.touchnet.com/C20688_ustores/web/images/store_16/Add.Test.Report.Forms.jpg
Reply 17
Original post by leacor

I also have a question for laur21, did you send your application before getting your IELTS score then? Do you think I should just wait until I get mine, and then send it (around January 10) so that they'll know my IELTS score right away? Because on the UCAS it says you have to send your application before January 15.
Thanks!

Thank you.
First, I would like to apologize for not answering immediately.

There's even more pressure now because I have received offers from two unis and I don't want to screw things up.(Yes,I applied without Ielts)

To be honest,I believe that they don't care if you have or you dont have your ielts test result yet because they can see your english-level from your personal statement,if it is good,without grammar mistakes, they would definately offer you a place.However, if you send your application early you might receive a faster answer from uni.

What would you like to study and where?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Hanover
Excuse me, where did you read that I didn't apply through UCAS?:eek:
I did, but without the IELTS results and have received 4 offers by now..

Oops, sorry, I just assumed you didn't, because you already had 4 offers! I'm sorry about that.

Original post by laur21
What would you like to study and where?

I think I'm just going to wait until January 6 anyway. It's not that far! I mean it doesn't really matter if I have any offer now or in 3 weeks..
I want to study communication & media. I chose Westminster University, Brunel, Goldsmith, Middlesex and London Metropolitain, because they offer these kind of studies. What do you want to study?
Reply 19
Hi,

Civil engineering and I already have offers from Greenwich and West London university,but I'm still waiting for brunel because I had the chance to visit brunel and it was an exciting experience,if they send me an offer I firm it.

Well, I believe you can wait a couple of days because I think unis don't work during holidays.

Which uni is your firm choice?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest