The Student Room Group

Welbeck Open Days - Advice for Welbeck

Hi all:smile: I am currently in year 10 and hopefully studying my A-levels at Welbeck, with the RAF. I am going on the Open Day on 1st February 2014 and I was wondering if anyone else on here are going then too? Also, any advice on preparing myself fitness-wise would be greatly appreciated! Are there any Welbexians on here that can give me some insight of what college life is like? Thanks in advance:redface:
Elise xxx
Reply 1
Hey Elsie,

I'm currently at Welbeck and can try my best to help you :smile: I' an RAF student too so the selection process would be the same for both of us.

How far are you into the application process? Have you had your filter interview yet?

The fitness test is not that hard, if you have a basic level of fitness and self discipline you will do fine, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't train, make sure you do some practices at the bleep test before you go, and learn press ups! I knew a lot of girls who couldn't do a press up before joining Welbeck. The sit ups are the hardest, the PTO that takes your fitness test is your stereotypical big scary guy who does not hesitate to discount your sit ups if they're not done properly. A guy on my board had 20 taken off his count because he didn't get his elbows to his knees on ONE.

You want an honest opinion on college life? It's a nightmare, your so busy, A levels are hard, and living with other people is tough. However, the sport side is brillaint, the facilities are great, and you do get socials and a little time to yourself after 9 (unless you do extra sport some nights, but thats's usually optional) so it's kind of a work hard play hard situation. You never get bored!
Hi Elise,

I'm going to the same open day as you but am in year 11 at the moment. I've always done sport but from about November to now I've increased that, especially with running and arm strength (for the press ups!) so just don't leave it till the last minute to prepare.

Rosie x
Hey, I am also looking to join Welbeck but as an Army sponsee haha :smile: I was wondering [I know this sounds really stupid] if anybody could tell me: A) What I should wear to an interview/ what questions they would ask? B)It starts after year 11 right? [I know that's a really stupid answer sorry] C) What A levels you can actually do? Is there a choice? Thanks so much!!! :biggrin: Emily :P
(edited 9 years ago)
He needs to improve his finishing, good player though
Reply 5
Original post by PatrioticParrot
Hey, I am also looking to join Welbeck but as an Army sponsee haha :smile: I was wondering [I know this sounds really stupid] if anybody could tell me: A) What I should wear to an interview/ what questions they would ask? B)It starts after year 11 right? [I know that's a really stupid answer sorry] C) What A levels you can actually do? Is there a choice? Thanks so much!!! :biggrin: Emily :P

Hi Emily
For the interviews you need to look smart as you will want to make a good impression on your interviewer.
You'll go to Welbeck after Year 11 instead of one of your local sixth forms, and as for any other questions you might have, and the choice of A-Levels can be found here: http://www.dsfc.ac.uk/Academic/options.asp#.U2fEKl6QzfM
Dom
Reply 6
s
Original post by Beanos
Hey Elsie,

I'm currently at Welbeck and can try my best to help you :smile: I' an RAF student too so the selection process would be the same for both of us.

How far are you into the application process? Have you had your filter interview yet?

The fitness test is not that hard, if you have a basic level of fitness and self discipline you will do fine, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't train, make sure you do some practices at the bleep test before you go, and learn press ups! I knew a lot of girls who couldn't do a press up before joining Welbeck. The sit ups are the hardest, the PTO that takes your fitness test is your stereotypical big scary guy who does not hesitate to discount your sit ups if they're not done properly. A guy on my board had 20 taken off his count because he didn't get his elbows to his knees on ONE.

You want an honest opinion on college life? It's a nightmare, your so busy, A levels are hard, and living with other people is tough. However, the sport side is brillaint, the facilities are great, and you do get socials and a little time to yourself after 9 (unless you do extra sport some nights, but thats's usually optional) so it's kind of a work hard play hard situation. You never get bored!

I am also in Year 10 and really want to join the army or RAF as a doctor or nurse and really love the sound of Welbeck but it doesn't offer this specialization was wondering if you knew why this is - even though it would require taking all STEM subjects?
Reply 7
Hi, it’s because there is a shortage of engineering graduates as a whole, and in the Ministry of Defence in particular. To the best of my knowledge that problem doesn’t exist with doctors or nurses, who I believe they have a large number of applications for.
The college has run this model for over 60 years concentrating on engineering, although some students don’t go on to train as engineers and join in other fields.
Read above ^^ :smile:

Original post by AliH1102
s

I am also in Year 10 and really want to join the army or RAF as a doctor or nurse and really love the sound of Welbeck but it doesn't offer this specialization was wondering if you knew why this is - even though it would require taking all STEM subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest