Can someone help me prepare for my French speaking exam?

Watch this thread
Lubna123
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have an French speaking exam in 4 days and would love any advice from people who have already done it! What can I do to help me get an A*? I am really nervous because I'm not exactly sure what I have to do to get an A*. For example, do I have to ask questions back to the teacher?

I have already written up my answers but if anyone has any A* phrases I can throw into my work, I'd greatly appreciate it! The topic is school so anything about uniform, school rules (which I don't have much about), subjects, daily routines and future wishes would be great. Also any advanced opinion phrases.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!
3m1lyx
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
You need to try and use as many complex structures... However if you haven't learnt how to use them it might be a bad idea. To get an A* you need to have fluency, perfect pronunciation, superb content etc. I missed out on full marks because I mispronounced one word so it is really picky!!! You get up to 10 marks for communication, 10 for range and accuracy of language, 5 for pronunciation and intonation and 5 for interaction and fluency.

We use a checklist... You definitely need to include: past, present and future tenses; time phrases; connectives; opinion structures; opinions and justifications. In order to get the top grades you need to use: both future tenses; both past tenses; conditional tense; if sentences; he/she/we references; descriptions; a detailed narration of an event; variety of vocab and comparisons.

To be honest, if you've only got a few days left you should have learnt it off by heart anyway so it might not be worth changing bits. Just focus on what you've already got. I find that if you write out your answer on a whiteboard and keep on reading through it aloud it helps. Then you gradually remove words here and there until you can say the whole thing through unassisted. Also if you right above in pencil what the phonetical pronunciation of each word is that helps...

However here are some of my favourite phrases...
Subjunctivesour que je puisse (+ infinitive)- so that i can
je ne pense pas ce soit une bonne idée-i don't think it's a good idea
bien que ce soit - even though it is
autant que je sache - as far as i know
Other: Avant de (+infinitive) - before...
aprés avoir mangé - after having eaten (change verb etc; however some need etre not avoir!!!)
il va de soi que (+subjunctive) - it goes without saying that...

Hope this helps a bit! Good luck!
3m1lyx
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Ok i put a semi colon and a p next to each other and it made a :P just to confirm, it is pour que je puisse!! Haha
jeamaehus
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
3m1lyx has covered the main points. But another thing is that you're not going to get an A unless you are thoroughly confident in your exam. By nature, I am a quiet person but I change in the speaking exam. It is better to be confident and grammatically wrong than to be really shy, lacking confidence, hesitant and grammatically right. Have an opinion on EVERYTHING. Prepare for questions afterwards. It's good to interact with the examiner to some extent but don't overdo it! You've only got a very limited amount of time in the oral exam and it really does go quick!

Good luck.
A at French GCSE
A in oral at AS level
TheCloud
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lubna123)
I have an French speaking exam in 4 days and would love any advice from people who have already done it! What can I do to help me get an A*? I am really nervous because I'm not exactly sure what I have to do to get an A*. For example, do I have to ask questions back to the teacher?

I have already written up my answers but if anyone has any A* phrases I can throw into my work, I'd greatly appreciate it! The topic is school so anything about uniform, school rules (which I don't have much about), subjects, daily routines and future wishes would be great. Also any advanced opinion phrases.

Hello i'm French, i can help you then Image ! I can listen to your speech and correct you on pronounce, grammar, etc
If you want PM me a skype or hangout address !
Frannoooooooo
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lubna123)

I got A* for all of my speaking and managed to get full marks on my latest one. All I did was basically what 3m1lyx has already listed. Make sure to include a lot of high level vocab and try to cut out any unnecessary basic level phrases. As for pronunciation, use Google Translate (ONLY FOR PRONUNCIATION), type in your French word and listen to the women say it by clicking the speaker icon. Try your best to imitate what you hear and practice, practice, practice! you won't get it straight away so be patient and persist!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How was the OCR A-level Geography Paper 1 exam for you?

Great! (9)
14.06%
Quite well (30)
46.88%
Not so good (16)
25%
Terrible! (9)
14.06%

Watched Threads