What do you think about this? Watch

guglemugle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago

This is a children's book enforcing atheist beliefs. Just interested to see what you think? Is it right? Is it wrong?
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think that's it's important that children are exposed to all sorts of beliefs, not sure about the book though...
Magdatrix >_<
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The answer would kind of depend on what the book actually says.

But in principle, I think it's a good idea to teach kids that athiesm is "an option". I, for instance, spent half my primary school life thinking that Christianity was fact...
guglemugle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Magdatrix >_<)
The answer would kind of depend on what the book actually says.

But in principle, I think it's a good idea to teach kids that athiesm is "an option". I, for instance, spent half my primary school life thinking that Christianity was fact...
The book does not portray atheism as an option, but rather enforces the belief that gods do not exist. I have nothing against atheism, but enforcing atheist beliefs on young children is no different than enforcing theist belief, especially before a child has even began to grasp the concepts of religious philosophy.
Kiss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it's trying to enforce a principle on them then it's not teaching them to think for themselves. A better book would be 'Religion, Atheism and Agnosticism: The Young Independent's Guide To Belief' or something with that ring to it.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by guglemugle)
The book does not portray atheism as an option, but rather enforces the belief that gods do not exist. I have nothing against atheism, but enforcing atheist beliefs on young children is no different than enforcing theist belief, especially before a child has even began to grasp the concepts of religious philosophy.
Couldn't say it better myself. This is an incredibly important point that so many people don't realise.
Gjaykay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by guglemugle)

This is a children's book enforcing atheist beliefs. Just interested to see what you think? Is it right? Is it wrong?
Of course it's right. Other beliefs get literature for kids, Atheism should get one too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (147)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (244)
30.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed