Economics Degree: Birmingham or Exeter? Watch

mattp246
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, i have a bit of dilemma and am hoping for some good advice! stuck between 2 unis, Uni of Birmingham and Exeter. I have received an unconditional from brum (applicable of i put them as first choice) or AAA if i put them as insurance, and AAA from exeter. should I take the unconditional? Exeter have offered me lower than others i know from other schools, with most seemingly A*AA, which suggests i have received a nice offer. any ideas?
cheers
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mattp246)
Hi, i have a bit of dilemma and am hoping for some good advice! stuck between 2 unis, Uni of Birmingham and Exeter. I have received an unconditional from brum (applicable of i put them as first choice) or AAA if i put them as insurance, and AAA from exeter. should I take the unconditional? Exeter have offered me lower than others i know from other schools, with most seemingly A*AA, which suggests i have received a nice offer. any ideas?
cheers
The question is: Do you want to go to Birmingham or Exeter?

Your offer at Birmingham is unconditional. So if you firm them, you are guaranteed to get in. If you firm Exeter, however, then you don't really have an insurance if all your offers are AAA, in which case you need to be sure of getting AAA.

Have you visited both? What did you think about each place? What about the location, atmosphere, weather, etc.? What about the modules - Birmingham have a lot of applied modules with a focus on East Europe whereas Exeter as more theoretical modules and less application. Which is more important for you?
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mattp246)
cheers
Exeter is better, Bham is desperate
Keyenesian
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Exeter > Birmingham for sure. The question is are you willing to take a chance?
Classical Liberal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Birmingham has the best campus and location for any university in the UK. The city also has career opportunities.

Exeter in my opinion has an inflated view of itself and just attracts rich Southern privately educated students because it's pretty and on the coast.
Mike_123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Classical Liberal)
Birmingham has the best campus and location for any university in the UK. The city also has career opportunities.

Exeter in my opinion has an inflated view of itself and just attracts rich Southern privately educated students because it's pretty and on the coast.
Ummmm London would have the best location for any university in the UK.

vs
.ACS.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mike_123)

vs
You're a bit selective of your images, aren't you...

University of Birmingham

That said, I am sure the thread starter is more interested in real reasons for Birmingham vs. Exeter as opposed to venturing into London universities (which they haven't mentioned) and also unjustified claims such as "university x is desperate" or equivalently "university y is full of rich people"... :facepalm:
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mike_123)

vs
you chose birmingham city university...which is right in the centre, and is a different uni

wow

much selection

such bias
Mike_123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tehforum)
you chose birmingham city university...which is right in the centre, and is a different uni

wow

much selection

such bias
You said Birmingham was the best location.

(Original post by .ACS.)
You're a bit selective of your images, aren't you...

That said, I am sure the thread starter is more interested in real reasons for Birmingham vs. Exeter as opposed to venturing into London universities (which they haven't mentioned) and also unjustified claims such as "university x is desperate" or equivalently "university y is full of rich people"... :facepalm:
He did say that Birmingham was the best location for students and didn't explicitly compare it to Exeter.

Still, Exeter is most definitely better than Birmingham for econ, who are so low on intake that they offer unconditionals if firmed.
Film
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Exeter,better Uni, better campus, better sports facilities, safer city......
mattp246
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Keyenesian)
Exeter > Birmingham for sure. The question is are you willing to take a chance?
Exactly! it will come down to whether i want to take the risk, exeter is better, but im thinking how much better - modules are similar in most cases, and in terms of employability prospects they arnt too dissimilar and who you know will get you a job at the end, not just the uni you go too.
got some good feedback from my cousins who went to exeter, but also good feedback from people who go to brum, i do realise there could be bias in most cases!
anyone doing econ at either who could give some feedback?
5hitCoin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm faced with precisely the same dilemma
student satisfaction seems quite similar 87% @ Exeter vs 83% @ Brum (which?)
I've been up to see brummy and the university is rather impressive - mates also say night life is good and I reckon it's a lot cheaper to live there vs Exeter, which is backed up by some of the comments about Exeter on the which? page.
If league tables are anything to go by it's worth noting that Brum ranks higher on the Guardian (for econ) 9th vs. 21st(!) but CUG says Exeter is 7th - 11 places higher than Brum.
I dont really trust the league tables though as the fluctuation in positions is shocking from year to year which makes no sense as not very much changes each year
Film
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Take a look at the enclosed for Economics. No comparison between Exeter and Birmingham.
Attached files
Libertine96
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not as much in them as some on here make out, though I'd agree Exeter is better in Economics though Birmingham is rising. I've applied for Birmingham myself but not Exeter, simply because of location. Partly because it's not 3+ hours from home like Exeter and whilst parts of the city aren't the best, it's a good student city.
You've got to decide which course you prefer and which location is better, at the end of the day either uni will open up similar opportunities but to make the most of anything or better that, it's all about you and not just where you get your bit of paper from.

And for the record I'll be most likely insuring with Birmingham and firming UCL
youngeconblog
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Classical Liberal)

When you go to placement interviews (UBS, Goldman, etc) you meet Exeter students, never Birmingham. Perhaps anecdotal, but it does tell a story.
makrxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry to hijack the thread, Birmingham or Manchester for Economics/Finance undergraduate?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (7)
41.18%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (4)
23.53%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (2)
11.76%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (1)
5.88%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (3)
17.65%

Watched Threads