The Student Room Group

Why are people in Dubai so rich?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by beinlondon
Human rights are normal. No sex in public and dont drink alchohol whilst driving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also, can't hug a lady in public, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Runninground
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2524653/Oligarch-convention-No-student-car-park-American-University-Dubai.html

And they always descend on London in the summer to show off their Supercars (i'm not complaining).

How comes they can all afford such nice cars? I know they have oil but surely that's only a select few, not a whole bunch of people- enough to fill a University...

Ur mistaken. Those people that own cars are young men from ultra rich families around the gulf that hang around knightsbridge etc but we shouldnt stereotyping them because the fathers of these young men are different. And mind you, those men are very small in number. But they have friends with same amount of wealth or less. I dont see anything bad bout that, its money they earned either from heritage or business. Worst eye sore are the billionares of uk, russians, chinese, indians, japanese and us. Not against arabs though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
The people there are worth less than **** to me.
Original post by Ggmu!
Also, can't hug a lady in public, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

U kiddin ? Hug as much as u want. Groping on other hand isnt perceived anywhere in public around the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
wish I knew, I'd be setting up my own little dubai in belfast lol,
Original post by Dan1607
The people there are worth less than **** to me.

Cc: Include the whole world also!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by euphrosyne
.. After calling me naive :lol:

I don't know about that ... we must remain idealistic even if we act within a realistic world, otherwise what hope is there?
Distribution of wealth is a joke, you'll have people looking like they own entire cities whilst you see the majority scrubbing the floor for pennies.
Reply 88
U kiddin ? Hug as much as u want. Groping on other hand isnt perceived anywhere in public around the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember Nicki Minaj (i'm sorry to use her as an example) being arrested for hugging somebody? I could be wrong, please correct me if so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Btw, like a few have said, Dubai's income is definitely not the oil. I'm an Arab and my family earns money through investments and businesses. Dubai barely has any oil. Most of the money comes from the tourism (Burj Khalifa, Ski Dubai, Atlantis etc.)

It came from oil originally - oil revenues made up more than half the country's GDP in the 70s. They've managed to diversify into other things, like tourism and services, more successfully than many other oil states. I believe oil revenues make up about 2% of Dubai's GDP today.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It came from oil originally - oil revenues made up more than half the country's GDP in the 70s. They've managed to diversify into other things, like tourism and services, more successfully than many other oil states. I believe oil revenues make up about 2% of Dubai's GDP today.

I know, my answer was focusing on the present tense; "Dubai's income is definitely..." :innocent:
Ur mistaken. Those people that own cars are young men from ultra rich families around the gulf that hang around knightsbridge etc but we shouldnt stereotyping them because the fathers of these young men are different. And mind you, those men are very small in number. But they have friends with same amount of wealth or less. I dont see anything bad bout that, its money they earned either from heritage or business. Worst eye sore are the billionares of uk, russians, chinese, indians, japanese and us. Not against arabs though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find it a bit surprising how much the princely and investment families allow their sons to race around in sports cars, apart from anything else, it's very dangerous. All seems a bit bizarre really.

It's long overdue that there was a real crackdown on this Knightsbridge rally thing, it is incredibly hostile to local residents and visitors/shoppers. Typical of Tory boroughs like Westminster and Kensington & Chelsea to continue to allow it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Built on the backs of modern day slave labour
Reply 93
Original post by itsmyname
Built on the backs of modern day slave labour

Just like the British empire was?

Westerners are such hypocrites.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh but that's when it was acceptable, it's not anymore.
Reply 95
Original post by Watermelone
Yeh but that's when it was acceptable, it's not anymore.

Acceptable to you, of course. Anything is acceptable if the West do it. It's only wrong when someone else does it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by harry_007
Thing is countries like Ivory Coast have tons of resources. You keep speaking of oil. Many countries have resources but still do not achieve what Dubai has achieved.

but oil is worth more, most everyday things are affected by oil. producing coco plants doesnt compare to oil
Original post by Ggmu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never said it wasn't? :confused:
Original post by Ggmu!
I remember Nicki Minaj (i'm sorry to use her as an example) being arrested for hugging somebody? I could be wrong, please correct me if so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha loool no its just when i visited dubai, men with girlfriends were holding hands and walking nobody cared a phoot. But i mean say someone french kissed, the public doesnt mind ( european ) but there are arabs that are a bit conservative. Doesnt mean all are, same with christians that say this and that is a sin... So if theyre on ur radar, avoid them when french kissing. Otherwise its pretty chill and funky. Resort hotels are more awesomer, more freedom but not to the point of walking and sunbathing topless/nude. In resorts its like mini maldives( religious country but do whatever u want inside the resort ). So back to hugging part.. In resorts its normal provided ur a goodlooking. And in public, malls be normal. I mean u wouldnt make out in harrods ? Lol and if u live life like a tourist, u will have fun but just dont bend it, cause also for the police, its good for news that this type of person and that made out. I mean the last time something really was a scene in dubai was when a couple made sex in a PUBLIC BEACH and thats like mind boggling even to as a westerner like me. So avoid stupid stuff, and ull be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Original post by Le Nombre
Errrrm, you do know the President of the United States is a black guy? That the native Americans and Aborigines are not dominating the top of the Aus and US economies and plenty of non-whites run substantial businesses in Europe (Damon Buffini for instance)?

Irony.

There is a difference between Democratic elections and job selections in firms. The dominators of top economies have been active investors and "risk takers", regardless of their age and racial background.

And this is why I love you :love:

I don't understand, although, I do love you the same way or perhaps more.

Original post by thePatron
alright love. you're not writing an article for the guardian.

so your grandfather is/was a billionaire then? what was his name?

Obviously not, but some people have seriously faulty information and need correction.

Why? Is this important? Even if I belong from a poor or the rich or the filthy rich families, it holds no importance here.

Quick Reply

Latest