The Student Room Group

Would William Hill refund me my money under these circumstances ?

Hello everyone, hope your all okay, I would like to tell you my story

I have been gambling on the ROULETTE machine at William hill bookies for the past 4 weeks and up until today I have only lost £20 maximum but won £90. Nobody except from 1 friend of mine who also gambles is aware that I bet.
When I'm betting I feel happy when I win but sad sometimes when I lose, I kind of forget anything else and just want to enjoy myself and have a good time
Today I got my Christmas money from my Mum( £150), she gave it to me today as I told her I was going to town to by a mobile phone, she'll be home soon and want to see my mobile which I won't have so I'm a bit scared. s

anyway I decided to go to William Hill and play on roulette, I wasn't intending to blow it all, I was only planning on spending £20 or so in the hope of winning more.
However I got carried away and lost it all, literally not a penny left.

I am wondering if William hill were irresponsible in anyway, ( don't start shouting at me, I know I was too, lol )
I have Dyspraxia and find making decisions difficult often, such as when to quit gambling and walk away.
I think should William Hill of advised me to stop betting so much money instead of just continuing to provide me with bets such as when I go to the desk to collect my winning should they advice me to quit whilst ahead?

if I went it with proof of my disability should they refund me? if not what should I say to my mum?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
No.
Original post by I like Apples
if I went it with proof of my disability should they refund me?

No, people like you are how they make their money. It's your own fault.
Reply 3
no
Reply 4
No, but the link below should be used.

http://www.gamcare.org.uk/
Reply 5
No, of course they shouldn't refund you. Everyone knows the dangers of gambling, Dyspraxia or not.
Reply 6

I have Dyspraxia and find making decisions difficult often, such as when to quit gambling and walk away.
I think should William Hill of advised me to stop betting so much money instead of just continuing to provide me with bets such as when I go to the desk to collect my winning should they advice me to quit whilst ahead?

Err, no. They won't refund you. If they're nice they'll refer you to Gamble Aware and tell you not to be so silly next time. I have dyspraxia, but I've never come across the difficulty in making decisions, and I certainly wouldn't expect a bookies to tell me to stop. Maccy D's doesn't tell you to stop being a fatty and much on some salad instead of a big mac, so why would William Hill tell you to stop gambling? They're in it for the profit.
Reply 7
Original post by arson_fire
No.

Original post by sr90
No, people like you are how they make their money. It's your own fault.

please don't be so blunt lol.

I have a letter confirming my disability that means I find it hard making decisions such as when to walk away from gambling
The bookies are ruthless. You wont get a penny back. Sorry bud...

I have a letter confirming my disability that means I find it hard making decisions such as when to walk away from gambling

You wouldn't have brought that up if you'd won some money, would you? Shame on you for using that as an excuse. You're not going to get an ounce of sympathy from anyone.
Still no :smile:.

You`ve got to take responsibility for your actions. Consider it a lesson learned (albeit an expensive one!)
Reply 11
No, but the link below should be used.

http://www.gamcare.org.uk/

Stop gambling then. They have no legal, or moral, requirement to give you back money which you stupidly lost.
Reply 12
Original post by sr90
You wouldn't have brought that up if you'd won some money, would you? Shame on you for using that as an excuse. You're not going to get an ounce of sympathy from anyone.

do you feel better after trying to upset me
do you feel better after trying to upset me

If he shows you a letter confirming his disability will you forgive him?

Latest

Trending

Trending