What careers can I do? Watch

tazmin98
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was wondering if you could give advice on what career I can go to. I am doing Art, History, RS and IT for A-level and maybe do a major in History and minor in Business. I thought about being a Museum Curator but I want more options available. I also thought about doing a career in the Arts but I'm still researching...
Any suggestion would be great!
vanillatea94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want a career in museums, sign up for museum volunteering asap. I want to work in museums after I graduate and I started volunteering at my local museums during my art foundation at college. I'm now studying for a degree in History of Art but before I went to uni, I signed up for museum volunteering in my university town (July). Applying early got me started when I got to uni in October (it's important you apply quickly once you know where you're going as you could be on a long waiting list). I've got some great experience from volunteering and I'm getting my face known in the work place. I've taken the opportunity to talk to as many people in the workplace as possible about how they got into working in museums. Most started as volunteers before getting internships and then starting in a grade 2 job or picking up a maternity leave job. Curator jobs will not come to you straight away. It is very difficult to work your way up in museums (sometimes people stay in the same job for decades) but it can be done. I hope to get there one day, but my volunteering has opened my eyes to other jobs in museums; conservation, education, marketing to name a few. A lot of museum work is very much for the love of the job. Highly paid jobs in the area are scarce.
History degrees offer a range of career options due to the analytical skills involved. Archivists often have history degrees but I know a HoA graduate working at the House of Lords.
Google things like "history graduate profile" to get an idea of what graduates do and what opportunities are out there. You'll come across some surprising things.
Hope this helps in some way or another. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them
apple32
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would look through the Employment page of a museum website. See what kinds of openings they have, read the description, and if anything interests you, research it.

To be a museum curator, you will most likely need to focus on a time period, as the work in art museums ranges widely. Have you also considered working in an auction house like Sotheby's?

Also try to do a few internships before you graduate.
Sunnyside85
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by apple32)
Also try to do a few internships before you graduate.
I'd like to second that point. It's well worth doing even unpaid internships as a student. It'll pay later. Go directly into the kind of places you would like to work and ask if you could do some work experience (offer them a copy of your cv too); it looks impressive and people are much more likely to agree in person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sunnyside85
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ask if you can speak to a careers service person at the university that you want to go to. They might be able to have a little chat with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (57)
15.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (33)
9.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (72)
19.73%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (54)
14.79%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (40)
10.96%
How can I be the best version of myself? (109)
29.86%

Watched Threads