The Student Room Group

Online purchasing

I hope this is the utmost relevant section.

I'm keen on replacing my laptop with a macbook. The compatibility and terminal access pulls me in, but I see appealing offers on GumTree... How can I protect myself as a buyer when buying from people on there?

Cash is a no go, been there before!! Is a bank transfer sufficient enough for visa protection? I would use PayPal but I'd likely get a no due to the charges the seller would incur for a large sum of money like that...
Reply 1
I think there's almost no protection for a bank transfer. I think what you're meaning by Visa protection is the protection you get when buying on credit via a credit card - This only applies to credit card purchases (a Visa Debit card wouldn't be protected).

Cash in person - after checking the device works and ideally at the sellers home is possibly the safest option, otherwise Paypal is probably the only safe option available (you could always offer to pay a bit more to cover some of the fees).
Reply 2
It does say very clearly in the Gumtree Rules that all transactions must be face to face, cash in hand.
Reply 3
Original post by iainvg
It does say very clearly in the Gumtree Rules that all transactions must be face to face, cash in hand.

Where does it stipulate buyers must pay via cash in hand?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending