The Student Room Group

Feel lonely after coming home from uni

I've made some great friends this term at uni, and met a lovely boyfriend, for which I feel very fortunate. However, I'm finding it hard to adjust being back home alone for Christmas with very few friends. I only have two close friends and a few others I see occasionally. I feel envious because everyone from uni, and my boyfriend in particular has a lot of friends from secondary/ sixth form they've made plans with for the holidays while I'm going to be at home alone. I went to a different sixth form to my friends from secondary school, and it was also very antisocial, so I didn't really have any friends there.

Before uni I was very reclusive and content with my own company, but since being away I've really come out of my shell and met people with common interests. It's really tough to have a social life for the first time ever only to come back to my very quiet home town and have so little to do :frown:. Thanks for reading, and I'm sure others feel the same way
I completely empathise with this and would also like to hear of ways of coping / integrating uni friends into home social life.
Reply 2
Home alone means time to be productive. Read a book, build something, exercise.

Busy people are happy people.
Reply 3
Original post by Knighted
Home alone means time to be productive. Read a book, build something, exercise.

Busy people are happy people.

This.

Work during Christmas. You'll be so much happier and content. Plus you've done something productive to make uni life easier. Be it more money or clocking up revision notes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Ggmu!
This.

Work during Christmas. You'll be so much happier and content. Plus you've done something productive to make uni life easier. Be it more money or clocking up revision notes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, whilst you do want to relax and have fun at christmass if you have too much free time where you are doing essentially nothing, you may as well do somthing productive.

I like taking on a new hobby/leaning a new skill during hollidays, gona try my hand at photography soon for example, but atm im doing a drawing course to learn how to draw, basically art and graphics interest me, plus at christmass you have pleanty of fun things to draw or use for inspiration, especially if it snows! (hope lol)

I can kinda emphasize on two parts though OP when my brother would come home from uni he'd almost get depressed and just sit in playing xbox all time because he didnt really know anyone here,

Similarly when all my friends who are still in uni go off to uni I have like 2 close friends left over, both of which work full time also xD

best you can do is just keep in touch with everyone and try and enjoy the break, it wont be long so enjoy you xmas!
Reply 5
i found study hard at home so you can enjoy uni or school life more
Please keep posts sensible and on topic, any unhelpful or mean posts will be removed, thanks.
Reply 7
Move to a busy metropolis full of new people to meet :wink:

University isn't the only reason to move from your home town.
Acquaint yourself with my shaft and you would no longer be lonely
I had this problem, which was made worse by the fact that due to a financial cock up I had to move home for second and third year and commute in. All friends from my home town were at uni elsewhere, and all uni friends lived closer to campus. It was pretty rubbish.

But ultimately, you're only in this position for the Christmas holidays. Use it to refresh yourself, spend time with your family, watch lots of crappy TV.. in a few weeks you will be right back at uni with the new people you've met :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending