The Student Room Group

Should I get a Tarantula spider?

Poll

Should I get a Tarantula spider?

I was thinking of get a Tarantula spider and a scorpion. However, Tarantulas can live for up to 25 years....god damn!
I thought about a snake as well.

Anyone got a pet like that?
(edited 10 years ago)
I have one its wicked, trust me its a great converstion piece and will always draw attention to it. p.s. you can even scare away unwanted guests with it :colone:
Reply 2
i recently purchased a radio controlled Tarantula... hours of fun
Original post by Mohid Khan
I have one its wicked, trust me its a great converstion piece and will always draw attention to it. p.s. you can even scare away unwanted guests with it :colone:

What type do you have? What do they eat?
Goliath Bird Eating Tarantula is the one i have, it eats: Rats, grasshoppers, crickets etc. i always provide the them Alive and make sure that they themselves have eaten before the tarantula eats them!
Goliath Bird Eating Tarantula is the one i have, it eats: Rats, grasshoppers, crickets etc. i always provide the them Alive and make sure that they themselves have eaten before the tarantula eats them!

Does feeding them, make them sluggish and less likely to fight back?
I heard Bird eaters are aggressive and cannot be handled. They are just ornaments. Look but never touch.
Reply 6
To be fair most, if not all spiders should really be treated as 'ornaments'. They are not really robust enough to be handled, although I know many who still do without injury to the spider.
Reply 7
Original post by Queen_Victoria
I was thinking of get a Tarantula spider and a scorpion. However, Tarantulas can live for up to 25 years....god damn!
I thought about a snake as well.

Anyone got a pet like that?

Yes you should get one
Original post by Tim2341
Yes you should get one

I don't know. You have a bad reputation. You might be leading me down a road of disrepute.
Don't buy anything before you research it's care requirements.

Suggestions to research:

Snakes - Ball Python, Boa Constrictor, Corn Snake, Rat Snake, Rosy Python

Scorpions - Start with an Emperor scorpion

Trantulas - Pink Toes are a decent starter T (google: avic avic) smallish, but quick.

This website has many good keepers on it - http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/

Only female T's live up to 25 years. Males will live 3-4years.(I think. I stopped keeping Ts and snakes a while back so my knowledge is a touch rusty)
(edited 10 years ago)
Also, as stated, Trantulas are for viewing. They are not for showing off to your mates and being handed around like a toy. Snakes are pretty much the same. They require some handling, but they are not a toy. They can and will bite. The bigger they get (my boa was 10foot) the harder they get.
Does feeding them, make them sluggish and less likely to fight back?

Yes:biggrin:
But you have to be carefull and give respect to the spider.
I've had it since it was very little so it knows i'm not gonna hurt it:colondollar:
Why did you have to write the word 'spider' in your post title? Do you think we don't know what a blooming Tarantula is? We are students FFS!
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Why did you have to write the word 'spider' in your post title? Do you think we don't know what a blooming Tarantula is? We are students FFS!

You're just looking for another negative.
Yes:biggrin:
But you have to be carefull and give respect to the spider.
I've had it since it was very little so it knows i'm not gonna hurt it:colondollar:

Can you get them as babies? Everytime I see them; they're fully grown.
How much did it cost you to buy one?
Aren't rats too big to feed a Tarantula, as rats fight back.
Can you get them as babies? Everytime I see them; they're fully grown.
How much did it cost you to buy one?
Aren't rats too big to feed a Tarantula, as rats fight back.

Here - http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/. Lots of Tarantula breeders on there.

Goliath bird eaters are not a good starter T.
Original post by Sir Master of Bate
Here - http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/. Lots of Tarantula breeders on there.

Goliath bird eaters are not a good starter T.

Thanks

How did you know about that site?
I'm a member, and have been for a few years. I found it when I was researching a couple of snakes. I even bought 2 baby corn snakes from a breeder there. They cost me 30quid each. Shop price they were 150ish..

Some of worlds most renowned breeders post on that website. You'd be a fool not to sign up.
Original post by Sir Master of Bate
I'm a member, and have been for a few years. I found it when I was researching a couple of snakes. I even bought 2 baby corn snakes from a breeder there. They cost me 30quid each. Shop price they were 150ish..

Some of worlds most renowned breeders post on that website. You'd be a fool not to sign up.

I just have under the same username. What's your username? I have some snake questions to ask.
I can't remember tbh been a while since I used the site. I had to get rid of my reptiles a few years back. I moved and new landlords thought snakes might eat people :confused::s-smilie::mad:

Ask here, or send a private message. Failing that can email me at [email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest