JasonWight
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

in terms of reputation for economics, please could people rank the departments of:

Nottingham
Bristol
Lancaster

Obviously, the reputation of the departments isn't everything, but to get a sense of what other people with knowledge in economics think of the above three would be helpful. I've looked at various sites, mainly:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ts&s=Economics

and

http://www.theguardian.com/education...asters-courses

So, sticking solely to reputation of the above departments, please help me and rank them.

Thanks in advance.
J
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Econ departments
Nottingham > Bristol >>> Lancaster.

For undergrad level, the difference between Nott and Bris is tiny for general 101 courses. Same bracket of peers. But on MSc and PhD level, you may see the difference. Bristol tends to focus on the core syllabus of econometrics, financial econ, public organisation and maybe a bit policy. This is reflected by small MSc courses on offer, research groups and grants. Bristol does this areas well, but it isn't broad. Very small range - but deep. Some courses are more cash cows such as MSc Econ, Accounting & Finance, or MSc Econ, Finance & Management or MSc Econ, Finance. Just a variation of 2 1/2 themes and milk them.

Nott has a broader econ subject range and excels in them with formidable publications in journals by known academics. Top areas are behaviourial, international econ, finance, econometrics, development, health econ and public policy. This is reflected in more research clusters, courses, guest speakers who present their work in seminars, staffing and funding. Outside the top 5, Nott is regarded as dynamic with vibrant research and teaching. The global Tilburg ranking of econ department looks favourably on Nott at 38th.

Lancaster is not even in the same bracket.
JasonWight
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Tcannon - thanks very much for your reply. It's really useful to get other people's opinions. The view forming in my mind based on the research I've done is in line with what you've said, so it's nice to get reassurance that I'm on the right track. Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.79%
Uncertainty around my education (85)
11.44%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.63%
Lack of purpose or motivation (95)
12.79%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.25%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.65%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (80)
10.77%
Financial worries (50)
6.73%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.31%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.19%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.23%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.56%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.67%

Watched Threads