The Student Room Group

A career in human rights law - please help!

I am currently a third year student studying a degree in Pure Mathematics at a University that isn't that great (though I have been predicted a first class hons). I've always wanted to have a career in law but didn't want to study law at an average university as the field is highly competitive, and so am planning to do the conversion course once I have completed my degree.

I understand that the competition for GDL is also quite high. I wanted to ask if anyone could advise me on what sort of work experience I should pick up before I write my application? What else is there that I can do to ensure that I get a career in human rights law?

Also in addition I was planning to travel for a few months - is there any experience I could gain abroad and how would that help?

Anyone that has gone through any sort of relevant experience to this is very welcome to contribute and give me some advice.

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
The competition for the GDL is not high, simply write a cheque and the place is yours in most cases.

There sren't really 'human right lawyers;, possibly at the Bar, just that many lawyers, in different fields, will sometimes advance a Human Rights argument.
Reply 2
Original post by Le Nombre
The competition for the GDL is not high, simply write a cheque and the place is yours in most cases.

Completely agree with this. :yep:

OP, If you go to a GDL/LPC provider and say that you have no experience, a 3rd class degree, but a cheque for the fees, they will welcome you with open arms. I wouldn't worry at all about applying for the GDL.

The competitive part of making a career in law is getting through the initial bottleneck of obtaining a training contract/pupillage (depending on whether you want to be a solicitor or barrister respectively).

As for a career in human rights law, it's not really an option if you want to be a full-time solicitor/barrister. You can have cases with human rights elements, and some arguments, etc., but a micro-focus on human rights law for your career is not possible if you want to earn enough to eat, I'm afraid.
Reply 3
Original post by Kaya_01
I am currently a third year student studying a degree in Pure Mathematics at a University that isn't that great (though I have been predicted a first class hons). I've always wanted to have a career in law but didn't want to study law at an average university as the field is highly competitive, and so am planning to do the conversion course once I have completed my degree.

I understand that the competition for GDL is also quite high. I wanted to ask if anyone could advise me on what sort of work experience I should pick up before I write my application? What else is there that I can do to ensure that I get a career in human rights law?

Also in addition I was planning to travel for a few months - is there any experience I could gain abroad and how would that help?

Anyone that has gone through any sort of relevant experience to this is very welcome to contribute and give me some advice.

Thank you! :smile:

le nombre and arrowhead are bang on the money on both counts. if you tell anyone actually working in law that you want to practice human rights law, you will get asked what you mean, as it is generally considered to be a type of argument and not an exclusive field of practice. human rights are a tool that you use, and they are more prevalent arguments in certain fields than others. i think also, given that you are pre-gdl, you need to assess *why* you are set on human rights and what you consider human rights law. if you want to exclusively work within it, you have a better chance through NGO work at particular NGOs than legal practice.

re: overseas experience - there is a wealth of it available; i spent 3.5 months living abroad for an internship. if you are willing to intern unpaid, it is not hard to pick up overseas internships, which both allows you to get experience and see something of another country. in terms of what experience to get, look at what interests you, and follow that - e.g. if a particular organisation interests you, keep checking their vacancies. a big part of this involves the first step (understanding what you consider to be human rights law & why you want to go into it - identify your motivations and that will help you to seek out and pick the most relevant types of work experience).

ultimately at your stage any legal work experience will be helpful, assuming from the lack of details given that you don't have any yet - right now, it doesn't matter what it is so much (e.g. high street solicitor would be a good start, also consider vac schemes etc) and you can build upon that with more targeted experience as you figure things out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending