The Student Room Group

Stealing is immoral, right?

Stealing is the unauthorised taking, keeping or using of a person's property without their permission or consent, permanently depriving the owner with rightful possession of that property or its use. It is a crime and is punishable by law.
We know stealing is wrong. But, what if stealing was the only way to feed a starving child? Or help cure a child dying from a disease? Would stealing be acceptable in circumstances such as these?

Let's create a scenario: Emily, a 5 year old girl, is dying from a deadly disease that can only be cured by a special drug. The drug is expensive; $500 is needed to make a small dose of that drug, but the same quantity is sold at $5000, ten times more. Her parents are relatively stable, financially, but only have $3000 in their bank account. Her father, Robert, has asked the chemist who has developed the drug if he could buy it for $3000 or pay the $5000 later, but the chemist has said no, since he wants to sell it for its price and become rich. Robert is desperate and decides to break into the chemist's laboratory at night and steal the drug. Should he be prosecuted, or should he be let off?
What about Sophie? She's also 5, but is dying from starvation. Her mother is poor and doesn't have enough money to buy a loaf of bread and water. So, she goes to a grocery and steals the loaf instead, along with a few bottles of water. Should she be prosecuted, or should she be let off? After all, in both cases, it is the parents' responsibility to protect their child and ensure they are getting the things needed to stay alive, so why should that be against the law?

I personally think that if you are stealing from someone who is considerably wealthy and/or does not need that product AND that you are stealing for altruistic purposes (i.e to save a child), you should not be penalised. If your life is depending on a certain product and you are in a situation where your only options are to commit a crime to preserve your life or to die due to the absence of that product, then surely it should be acceptable to steal that product. Yes theft is immoral but when it comes to death, a person's life is much more important than someone else's property and by denying them of that property, you are eliminating a life. Things can be replaced, lives can't.
However, if you are stealing something that you don't need, but want, such as a high-definition plasma TV, for pleasurable and selfish reasons, then I definitely think that that is wrong and the culprit should be prosecuted.

What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by euphrosyne
Stealing is immoral, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SPg2afRXvE
Reply 2
Stealing is the unauthorised taking, keeping or using of a person's property without their permission or consent, permanently depriving the owner with rightful possession of that property or its use. It is a crime and is punishable by law.
We know stealing is wrong. But, what if stealing was the only way to feed a starving child? Or help cure a child dying from a disease? Would stealing be acceptable in circumstances such as these?

Let's create a scenario: Emily, a 5 year old girl, is dying from a deadly disease that can only be cured by a special drug. The drug is expensive; $500 is needed to make a small dose of that drug, but the same quantity is sold at $5000, ten times more. Her parents are relatively stable, financially, but only have $3000 in their bank account. Her father, Robert, has asked the chemist who has developed the drug if he could buy it for $3000 or pay the $5000 later, but the chemist has said no, since he wants to sell it for its price and become rich. Robert is desperate and decides to break into the chemist's laboratory at night and steal the drug. Should he be prosecuted, or should he be let off?
What about Sophie? She's also 5, but is dying from starvation. Her mother is poor and doesn't have enough money to buy a loaf of bread and water. So, she goes to a grocery and steals the loaf instead, along with a few bottles of water. Should she be prosecuted, or should she be let off? After all, in both cases, it is the parents' responsibility to protect their child and ensure they are getting the things needed to stay alive, so why should that be against the law?

I personally think that if you are stealing from someone who is considerably wealthy and/or does not need that product AND that you are stealing for altruistic purposes (i.e to save a child), you should not be penalised. If your life is depending on a certain product and you are in a situation where your only options are to commit a crime to preserve your life or to die due to the absence of that product, then surely it should be acceptable to steal that product. Yes theft is immoral but when it comes to death, a person's life is much more important than someone else's property and by denying them of that property, you are eliminating a life. Things can be replaced, lives can't.
However, if you are stealing something that you don't need, but want, such as a high-definition plasma TV, for pleasurable and selfish reasons, then I definitely think that that is wrong and the culprit should be prosecuted.

What are your thoughts?

You're still breaking the law.

What are your thoughts?

It's not a question of morality. Theft is illegal and, whilst the punishment might be less severe, you still have to penalise people for breaking the law. If you decriminalise a crime for certain people then you start on a slippery slope.
Still wrong.
tl;dr sorry. perhaps at a later date.
?

Immoral but necessary in the scenario you provided, the wealthy business man immorally doges tax as well.
Reply 7
It's wrong and illegal. However, if it's used to save someone's life, the robber should get a less severe punishment. Think about the chemist who created the drug or generally the people who put their sweat and blood into their work. They put effort into their work and the people deserve their reward. It's THEIR intellectual property and can do whatever they please. Just my thoughts...
Reply 8
Original post by Kiss
You're still breaking the law.

I understand that. Laws are black and white, they should not be broken no matter the situation. However, surely if there was no discrimination and social inequality, then no laws would need to be broken. Yet from what I see around me, the manipulation of the law appears to be highly unfair (and even immoral in some cases) that it just leads people to do bad things. Why should they be punished for it if they're not being taken care of by society?
Depends on your morals.

Life is too short to follow rules made by those in ridiculously high positions in my honest opinion , live by your own rules , but be prepared to face the consequence.

That being said I don't condone stealing and never steal myself.
Reply 10
I understand that. Laws are black and white, they should not be broken no matter the situation. However, surely if there was no discrimination and social inequality, then no laws would need to be broken. Yet from what I see around me, the manipulation of the law appears to be highly unfair (and even immoral in some cases) that it just leads people to do bad things. Why should they be punished for it if they're not being taken care of by society?

If they can't take care of themselves whilst the law exists then they shouldn't expect to be taken of it when they break it.
Reply 11
1st situation is illegal.

2nd situation would not result in liability for theft as its a 5 year old kid. If anything, I'd be celebrating her ingenuity.
Only wrong if you get caught... :innocent:

(I joke, please don't break the law...)
Reply 13

What are your thoughts?

That's what Robin Hood did
you could argue that the guy who wants to sell it is stealing someone else's chance for survival to fuel their own greed.

Stealing isn't always a case of taking a physical object that doesn't belong to you.
Reply 15
nowadays nobody gets a proper punishment for theft, burglary etc... they get a slap on the wrist; if they have committed 300 burglaries they do not get 300 times the punishment.... grrrrrr

It would be acceptable in my opinion. They should, of course, pursue all alternative routes before this is even an option. If it is the only option remaining, the thief should then try and pay the price of at a later date when they can afford it.

The Chemist is being immoral in his greed. He'll still be rich if he is paid £3000 instead of the £5000. He's also being very unreasonable in refusing to allow the father of the girl to pay the debt off in instalments.
In this case, I would say that it is acceptable for the father to steal the drug and that the Chemist should not be allowed to ask for such a ridiculous amount of money when he can make a healthy profit even if he sets the price lower.

Similar to my first reply :smile:

Although she should first ask for help with funds. It would be somewhat immoral to not look for alternative ways of feeding your child (charity, friends and family, government e.t.c.)

​Bold: It should be against the law because, in the majority of cases, stealing is not a means to achieving a greater good. The best approach would be a case-by-case basis.

What if you are stealing from a woman who is struggling to make ends meet. What if, by stealing her property, she doesn't make the money that she needed that month and so can't afford to pay her bills or feed her kids.

I kinda agree. But I believe that all stealing should be against the law and if we are to make allowances, we should do so on a case-by-case basis.

What are your thoughts?

I recall this scenario from somewhere :curious:
What book did you get it from? :beard:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by the bear
nowadays nobody gets a proper punishment for theft, burglary etc... they get a slap on the wrist; if they have committed 300 burglaries they do not get 300 times the punishment.... grrrrrr

Really? I'm not sure how true this is but I've heard that there are some countries who cut off your hand if you steal.. (Awks if this is only some myth to scare people :rofl:)
Reply 18
Wrong is wrong, there would be no rule of law if we start making exceptions to suit our believes.

What are your thoughts?

Yeah, but then everyone would nick everyone rich's stuff until it reached a point where they were no longer rich and could start to enjoy their property rights again.

There are excuses and justifications in the law, self-defence and the Marchioness quandry for example, but this does not fall into that, there are other options out there (charity etc.).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending