The Student Room Group

why do people say British food is tasteless?

haven't they tasted beans on toast? toad-in-the-hole? buttered scones? ginger beer? tomatoes? i find the food i eat pretty tasty.
Because they're being truthful clearly :rolleyes:
Tomatoes? Really?
Reply 3
Haven't heard anyone say that irl but it's just one of those things I guess
Reply 4
I also have not heard it , any ways, i do not agree with it
Reply 5
I've heard it and I agree. You have to admit, in comparison to food of other countries (such as Asian or Carribbean), it is pretty bland as only basic seasoning is used.
Its a stereotype really. Like how all american food is deep friend with bacon bits.
Well my friend is Spanish and she thinks lots of our food here is delicious, like roast dinners :biggrin:
I've never heard anyone say it, but if they do, they've probably just been to the wrong places.

You can say any food is tasteless if it's cooked badly.

Original post by Ndella
I've heard it and I agree. You have to admit, in comparison to food of other countries (such as Asian or Carribbean), it is pretty bland as only basic seasoning is used.

I'm pretty sure taste comes from more than just herbs and spices.

So no, I don't agree actually.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
A few decades ago there was way less diversity in British food, and while when it's made well traditional British food tastes great, it certainly lends itself to being bland more than the traditional food of other regions. Some of the bloated fruit and vegetables in British supermarkets are also ridiculously tasteless compared to versions elsewhere (cucumbers here are basically just cold water, whereas in the Mediterranean they actually have flavour).
Tomatoes :laugh:

that suggestion had me in stitches
Reply 11
Original post by Jack Robinson
haven't they tasted beans on toast? toad-in-the-hole? buttered scones? ginger beer? tomatoes? i find the food i eat pretty tasty.

It is indian people who say that because of where they are coming from with the spices.
Reply 12
British tomatoes are exquisite.
Because they're complete ********s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending