Coasting on hills?

Watch
traintracks1995
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Should I coast down hills or simply just come off the gas pedal to save fuel?
Extremotroph
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fuel economy is dependent on the level of throttle you engage.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
something might happen suddenly... a deer could leap out... you need to be in full control at all times
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by traintracks1995)
You use no fuel when you take your foot off the throttle. Might be slightly different in a diesel but in a petrol:
Say you take your foot off the gas at 50. You'll use no fuel from now on until you slow down to a point (30ish) where the engine starts injecting fuel again to stop it stalling. The engine is kept running by the wheels before that.

However on say A roads going down a hill: taking your foot off the gas slows the car down too much so you have to keep your foot on the gas to keep up the speed. This is where it'd be better (but more dangerous) to Coast as gravity will speed you up without any resistance from the engine.
traintracks1995
Rep:
?
(Original post by Camoxide)
You use no fuel when you take your foot off the throttle. Might be slightly different in a diesel but in a petrol:
Say you take your foot off the gas at 50. You'll use no fuel from now on until you slow down to a point (30ish) where the engine starts injecting fuel again to stop it stalling. The engine is kept running by the wheels before that.

However on say A roads going down a hill: taking your foot off the gas slows the car down too much so you have to keep your foot on the gas to keep up the speed. This is where it'd be better (but more dangerous) to Coast as gravity will speed you up without any resistance from the engine.
I don't buy the argument that coasting is dangerous. Say I was in the slow lane on the motorway "coasting" at 60 mph. It's not dangerous, and even if something were to happen in front of me, I have the brakes.
The Jargen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't buy the argument that coasting is dangerous. Say I was in the slow lane on the motorway "coasting" at 60 mph. It's not dangerous, and even if something were to happen in front of me, I have the brakes.
It takes longer to stop though because the engine is disconnected. When going down a hill put it in a higher gear and gently apply the gas.
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's removes you're ability to accelerate away from a dangerous situation.

I coast when I can on A roads
traintracks1995
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Jargen)
It takes longer to stop though because the engine is disconnected. When going down a hill put it in a higher gear and gently apply the gas.
My car has superb brakes and I leave enough gap in front of me anyway when I coast

(Original post by Camoxide)
It's removes you're ability to accelerate away from a dangerous situation.

I coast when I can on A roads
Meh, I don't consider either of these to be of any concern
The Jargen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My car has superb brakes and I leave enough gap in front of me anyway when I coast

Meh, I don't consider either of these to be of any concern
It may very well, but the car continues to pick up speed. That's why it's better to keep the engine engaged.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why bother? Can't afford that 7-series otherwise?
fluttershy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When you're coasting you're using fuel to keep the engine turning, wheras when you're off the throttle with the clutch and gears engaged the engine is being driven by the wheels and the fuel injection is turned off (same for petrol and diesel). You might have to use a little throttle to maintain speed on downhills, but the fuel used will be no more than what would be being used to keep the engine turning if coasting. Basically, it will use the same or more fuel, so it's daft regardless of it's supposed safety aspects.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In a modern fuel injected engine, the injectors will stop firing so no fuel will make it into the cylinders. By coasting you actually use more fuel as the injectors continue to work to keep the engine idling.
Similarly, you lose any assistance you get from engine braking - even in a car with good brakes and even in automatics this will make a difference to your stopping distance.
You lose the ability to accelerate at a moments notice.

Unless your engine has cut out and you're trying to maintain enough momentum as possible to get the car to the side of the road, there's absolutely no reason to coast ever.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What JC said. I've never been in a situation where I needed or wanted to coast ever (except when I hit 80 in the Morris Minor once).
345rty
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do, but I'm on carbs.
College_Dropout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I always coast
blue n white army
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
never felt the urge to coast, what's the point?
traintracks1995
Rep:
?
(Original post by blue n white army)
never felt the urge to coast, what's the point?
Learn to read before posting. Save fuel
blue n white army
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Learn to read before posting. Save fuel
Which you wont, did your driving instructor not cover this?
IntriguedUser
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
More importantly, why do people slow down when goign down hill, just chuck it in neutral and let the hill do all the work, so annoying..

Do you know how far a car will roll from 40mph if you chuck it in neutral!! quite far
knowledgenow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Coasting is dangerous, and does not save fuel at all.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...l-fuel-economy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads